Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Businessman charged with selling alcohol

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted in the Waterford People that Fredrick Piper (trading as Sands Hotel, Strand Road Tramore and PiperSands Ltd) is up in the local court. His case was adjourned, on request, until May 2nd.

He is being charged with selling intoxicating liquor without a license at the hotel, The Pier Off licence and The Off Shore Off licence on May 16th and May 24th 2007.

What confuses me most is, I thought a license lasted a year? How could someone be without a license on two random dates in May? Plus, to be found out - he would have to be reported and I assume the Guards investigate?

Im baffled. Fair enough if he didnt apply, or his application got refused / delayed - but its the dates that have me confused. I cant blame him for not stopping selling alcohol on the dates. Must be a good reason for it all.

Regardless, hope it doesnt mean the loss of the license. Freddie puts a lot of work and effort into his businesses in Tramore and it would be a shame for another premises in Tramore to loose its license. I can only imagine there is a very good reason for not having a license on the dates and it wont happen again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Oh well, here we go again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm sorry, what? Is there a harm in pointing out that one of Tramores biggest businessmen is in court for not having a license and actually giving support rather then criticising him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm not attacking you Sully, I'm just concerned that this thread will be a repeat of ones from a few weeks ago! Again, nothing against you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paul Sands

Ok that's enough!

I don't really understand the whole obsession with openely discussing Freddie and his businesses -as they say its his business!

Ok I am biased but really should any of these topics be openely aired? so please no more discussion.

I am only concerened that in these instances where there is an arbitrator, that information of this nature could be deemed damaging to future business and general opinion which may be construed as marring the hard efforts on all employees of Freddie's establishmnets and indeed livelihood which has taken years to build a sound and solid reputation.

I rest my case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jaysus forgot about this.

Sorry Paul but this was in a public paper. I quoted what was in the paper and I give me full support to Freddie. He is one of Tramores (if not the only) most respected businessmen as he puts a lot into his business and gives a lot back to the people of Tramore. I dont see any harm in the post at all. Its aired in a public court room and is being covered in a local paper. A public discussion board is hardly going to do any damage considering!

• Advertisement

Minto wrote: »
    I'm not attacking you Sully, I'm just concerned that this thread will be a repeat of ones from a few weeks ago! Again, nothing against you!

They were going fine until business reps/assoicates started plugging the business and it got out of hand, which was a shame.

I thought id post this up as I thought it might interest people. I added my opinion as I do not think Freddie is dodgy, and I think he does a lot for the town and puts an awful lot of money into it. Mistakes happen, and I am sure whatever ****ed up wont happen again. It was considerably minor.

The issue was in public view anyway before I ever said anything. :)

Advertisement