Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IÉ mixing up Dart carrages (railway aesthetics)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Is it me or does this thread stink of 'Trainspotting'. :(
    This should be moved to some hobbies section (if there is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

My desk in work overlooks the railway bridge at Butt Bridge. I've just seen the aforementioned mixed train 4(new) and 2(old). If I was a train spotter - I'd get no work done :eek:

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

LHB 8100/8300 class refurbished by Siemens started in 2006 will be finished this year.

Did it not start in 2004 and was due to be completed in 2006 yet is still no where near done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dazberry wrote: »
    My desk in work overlooks the railway bridge at Butt Bridge. I've just seen the aforementioned mixed train 4(new) and 2(old). If I was a train spotter - I'd get no work done :eek: D.
    Who will be the first person to post a picture of this rogue train!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not me..im not a stinking trianspotter....

(yes i am really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

corktina wrote: »
    I care...I actually prefer the idea of different generations of stock adding interest to the railway scene...

railway aesthetics? no, bland uniformity I think is what you seem to want OP....couple in a couple of Cravens and a Park Royal I say....and the Presidential Salloon for good measure...

cravens,park royals,brings a tear to my eye:(

even mk 2's seem luxurious compared to the current rolling stock,22k's excepted.

It was actually the Spanish built DARTs.
    Just reading ALL of the spanish built 8200s ie 5 two car sets are currently out of action and are either lying up in Fairview or being overhauled at Inchicore because of poor design and unreliability. They are also not compatible with any of the japanese 8500s, 8510's or 8520's and cannot be coupled up with the 8100's :) Someone in CIE must have had their ass kicked !!! http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Railcars%20&%20DARTs/8200%20Class/slides/Failed%20_Dart%20set%20at%20Lansdowne%20Rd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Who will be the first person to post a picture of this rogue train!!!!! :D

When I sat there first, I started (subconsciously) counting the number of carriages on each train as they'd pass. I mistakenly let it be known - and a couple of days later someone shouted out asking me how many carriages were on the train just past - and when I replied 6 - the whole place creased themselves laughing. If I'm seen taking photos - I'd never live it down!

I seldom find myself on a DART but a while back I found myself on another 4 and 4 mix. Made it my business to get on the old half - hate those newer carriages myself.

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    I seldom find myself on a DART but a while back I found myself on another 4 and 4 mix. Made it my business to get on the old half - hate those newer carriages myself.D.
    Your probably right, I would also choose to board on the older carraiges, they are more reliable :D BTW I have never seen a 4 and 4 mix yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just reading ALL of the spanish built 8200s ie 5 two car sets are currently out of action and are either lying up in Fairview or being overhauled at Inchicore because of poor design and unreliability. They are also not compatible with any of the japanese 8500s, 8510's or 8520's and cannot be coupled up with the 8100's :) Someone in CIE must have had their ass kicked !!! http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Railcars%20&%20DARTs/8200%20Class/slides/Failed%20_Dart%20set%20at%20Lansdowne%20Rd.html

Actually the 8200s can work with any of the 8500-8520s and have done so for years. They can't work with the 8100s but they can be towed by them.

But as far as CIE are concerned they should push the 8200s into the Tolka and claim the insurance for another 85xx set.

• Advertisement

They can't work with the 8100s but they can be towed by them..
    When they break down :D
    But as far as CIE are concerned they should push the 8200s into the Tolka and claim the insurance for another 85xx set.
    Can they not convert them to push pulls with a loco and use them down the country or have another "fire" at the Firview depot :D

On the same subject how come these Spanish EMU train sets have such a desasterous reputation with CIE when they are manufactured by GEC Alstom, ie the same crowd that have been building the trainsets for years for the TGV, SNCF, RENFE and recently the London underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I blame Fianna Fail for all this. Honestly. I dare a FF member to ask me why. (But you must produce your card first.:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're back - I've seen them running in an 8-car set recently.

whatever about reliability, they're more comfortable than the first lot of jap darts - at least you don't have to travel with your knee in the person opposite's groin.

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're back - I've seen them running in an 8-car set recently. .
    Maybe they should run a ten car set and keep all their eggs in one basket in case of another breakdown :)
    loyatemu wrote: »
    whatever about reliability, they're more comfortable than the first lot of jap darts - at least you don't have to travel with your knee in the person opposite's groin.
    If they had any sense they could reserve these cars for "1st class" and charge more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Does it really matter what DART type operates which train or whether they're mixed or not? They are all compatible with each other.

The customer just wants to get his or her train to the destination.

KC61 wrote: »
    Does it really matter what DART type operates which train or whether they're mixed or not? They are all compatible with each other.
    Except for the 8200s that won't mix with the 8100's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All say "aye" for a Monorail and Crayons sub-forum?

Victor wrote: »
    "Thomas" the tank that runs on Diesel :D

Listowel02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

I've just seen the offending train at around 4.25 at Lansdowne. 2 old carriages, 4 newer ones! Can't say much more other than the rear train was number 8122.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"Thomas" the tank that runs on Diesel :D

Listowel02.jpg

i imagine a replica steam driven Lartigue loco would be mega euros to build...that looks the part..is it real?

ps Thomas is Blue with a large No1 on the tanks and only has one boiler....(one more than this one then you say...)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    i imagine a replica steam driven Lartigue loco would be mega euros to build...that looks the part..is it real?

ps Thomas is Blue with a large No1 on the tanks and only has one boiler....(one more than this one then you say...)
    They would have capitalised more out of it if they had it circling around a theme park. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Victor wrote: »

Aye!!!

I'll even mod it.....

heh heh heh.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

I would refuse to board any ugly looking Dart train with mixed multiple units.

Advertisement