Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in school

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I watched Drillbit Taylor last night which a new comedy film with luke wilson but ultimately it in an obscure way tries to deal with the topic of secondary school bullying. Funny watching it reminded me so much of school life.

Some of us im sure were bullied and some of us could have been the bulllies. Does it differ for boys and girls. From my own experience it always annoys me the advice that kids are given on how to deal with bullies in school although im sure with recent legislation it might be different now.

Do any of you as parents have any experience with your kids and how did you deal with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Trinity College Dublin has a good anti-bullying centre; the people there go in to schools and run workshops about bullying, and have a good record for stopping bullying and sorting things out for both bullies and bullied when they're called in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

there are different forms of bullying. Some people dont even know they are bullying, they just dominate other personalities and belittle them. If you called them a bully it would feel like a slap in the face. Others are much more malignant and do try to terrorise and humiliate people. I never really understood it.

How to deal with it? the only way is to either have the child stand up for themselves or the haul the bullys out of school.

I always found that the kids that get into sports teams of societies are rarely bullied, its mare the ones that are socially isolated.

sorry I dont have better answers, but its a tough subject and depends on the specific situation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How to deal with it? the only way is to either have the child stand up for themselves or the haul the bullys out of school.

im not really in touch with what goes on now in schools but i know i learnt in school that standing up for myself was the only solution but back then bullying wasnt taken as serious as it is now.

What level of support/help are there for parents and children nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

faceman wrote: »
    im not really in touch with what goes on now in schools but i know i learnt in school that standing up for myself was the only solution but back then bullying wasnt taken as serious as it is now.

What level of support/help are there for parents and children nowadays?

I think this is still fundamental... and why it's so scary bringing your first child to school for the first time. You remember what it was like for you and you realise that all they have to deal with life now is what they have now, what you've taught them and what they've learned.

In my opinion, the best defense against bullying is a confident child with a positive self image... easier said than done... but if your child believes they don't deserve that crap, then they have the best chance of surviving it.

A pet theme of mine is the importance of paying attention to your children in the early years and doing all you can to develop their self image and confidence. That will prepare your children for all life has to throw at them.

Advertisement