Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Locking Nuts

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I'm having problems removing the locking nuts on my BMW 3 series E46. Some body has put them on mad tight, probably using an air gun, and damaged the key in the process. The key used was the original which came with the car, its solid and of high quality steal. Its unusable now as the end was damaged and wont go back into the bolts.

I got a genuine replacement from a BMW garage but this broke when i tried to leaver them off using a ratchet with an extended handle. The replacement was much weaker; made of much lighter steal and is hollow in the middle. I asked about getting a key like the original which came with the car but was told they only come with the car and are not sold as replacement parts.

Dose anybody know of anyway of getting them off or getting a key like the original??? I really need to get them off!

The locking nuts are size 31.

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daveyj

Hi Mark
    Always a bummer when this happens! Is it the anti-theft configuration with a recessed headed splined stud (bear with me!) and hex drive/splined shank removal tool (key)? you will be able to get this key, the cast iron version, from a scrap yard. Some tips; first use penetrating grease in around the bolt shank and leave it to work. The highly stressed mating thread faces of the stud and hub are susceptible to rust which adheres the thread/hub interface making removal even more difficult. If you value your ratchets don't use them to remove stubborn wheel studs! Get a long (aka power) bar. (bout 21/2 ft long with a 1/2" square drive on a pivot for handiness). If the anti-theft stud head splines are damaged and the key you get from the scrappy doesn't work then you're on to extraction kits. The one I own and have had many succesful extractions with is called "drill-out" made by a company called Alden. But i think any kit that your reputable motor factors recommends will be ok. You only need a reversible drill to drive it in. Bring a sample stud with you so the motor factors can size a suitable extractor and you may be able to break up a kit and just buy the one you need out of it. If you're not fancying the effort and can't see yourself using any of the gear again then get to your local reputable back lane mechanic and have it removed by someone with a bit of experience. Clean your wheels a bit before you bring it in and take photos so you can hang them if they do any damage.
    Best of luck buddy and let me know how you get on.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 20 markc1983

Thanks Dave

A "recessed headed splined stud" sounds about right! Luckily I discovered the problem before getting any puncker so its still drive-able. I think if i get the right key I'll be in business. In the mean time I'll apply the grease so hopefully it wont come to extraction kits.

Thanks again for you help.

If anyone can recommend a good scrap yards in the Dublin or Louth area I'd appreciate it.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Another tip that I find effective when removing stiff wheel studs is to put the socket on to the wheel stud and give it a few bangs of a hammer before opening. This shocks them and will make them easier to open. As you are opening a lock nut you will need to be a little bit careful not to damage the key or nut when doing this. You could either just tap the key when in the lock nut or put a socket on the key and hit it. Working in the trade and have never had this method not work or damaged anything while doing it so you should be ok.

Also as suggested you should invest in a decent long power bar which can be gotten quite cheap. Will do the job now and is handy to have in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daveyj

The two scrappers that i use most are South Side Motor Spares in Dun Laoghaire harbour 012804177, they're a sound and helpful bunch. Anything they don't have they will get in within a few days. They're affiliated with some big scrappers in the north. Then there's Summerhill Spares in the Malahide Road industrial park, Coolock 018673232. They have a website too www.summerhillspares.ie with map etc. The guy that owns this is bang on too and is ultra helpful if you need any advice. Its also a huge scrap yard and very well run so will usually have anything you need.

Advertisement