Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which cable?

• 26-03-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I need to run a couple of wires to my hotpress from the boiler in order to upgrade my heating controls. One is for permanent power from the boiler to power the timers. The other is to bring up power from the terminal operated by the boiler on/off switch to the stats/motorised valves and switched power back to the boiler from the motorised valves.

The best way I can come up with is to go up into the attic, accross to the external wall and run down from the attic in the outside wall of the house. The house is timber frame with block, fibreglass and plasterboard in that order.

I have succeeded in getting a cable fishing thingy down this space to where I need it and before I go purchasing and pulling cable I'm wondering what type I should use (I'm considering 0.75mm as this is what has been fitted and is recommended by the boiler manufacturer as it's supply). Is there an issue with some types and insulation or is this only with aeroboard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

to save the hassle of running multiple cables just run a multicore cable like 7x1.5 nymj. this would give you the capacity to run two feeds with a common earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

if u have power in the HP, have u considered wireless controls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

ircoha wrote: »
    if u have power in the HP, have u considered wireless controls

I have power available in the hotpress alright but I'd rather have all my heating controls operating under the one trip and also power to them controlled by the boiler on/off switch. Also, seeing as I can get a cable in, it will be much cheaper to run a cable than go wireless.

And it did occur to me at one point yesterday to check if there were multi core cables available so thanks for that suggestion too northdublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

pvc and aeroboard don't mix if thats what you mean you can cover the pvc if you want.if you can get hold of a drawing for a 3-channel timing setup or similar on the web that might help .sometimes i fit a relay beside the boiler if i'm switching the boiler from remote stats or mv contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

That's the one. All I could remember was that some insulation and some cable didn't mix well. I have fibreglass insulation so I should be ok. I have to run up to the hotpress as the existing valves are getting power from a single switched live coming from the boiler and that's no good for the new setup.

I'm adding a zone for hw controlled by a timeswitch and cylinder stat along with replacing the existing room thermostats with programmable ones. The existing wiring only provides for power to the thermostats when the boiler is lit.

I had done my own wiring design up and then did a bit of research on the web with regard to the components I'm getting so I know exactly how to get the whole show on the road.

My local electrical supply place has a 5 core cable that will do the job nicely. All I need then is to get a decent junction box and put the jigsaw together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement