Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new eircom BB speeds

Options
  • 26-03-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

quick question. when eircom roll out the faster speeds to customers will that mean that anyone that currently lives too far from the exchange will be able to get broadband.

i cannot get bb as im to far from exchange, my understanding is that the faster speeds will mean that the signal be be able to travel futher.. is this correct??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it depends.

eircom have never said how they are bringing these updates is it via ADSL ADSL2+ or some other technology.

now these new speeds will be pushing the physical limits of ADSL, and considering eircom drag their heels and follow europe 5-7 years later my bet is it's ADSL2+ which should allow for people further away from the exchange to get broadband allbeit at not the ADSL2 speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

When I got BB first, the line was only rated for 256K. That was over 2 years ago approx. I live about 3 miles from the exchange. Recently, the speed was upped to 1024. I've no idea when that happened. They don't seem to tell you when the speed gets upped.

BTW You should check with Eircom's bb line testing web page, because those tests are re-run periodically on lines that failed previously, and you never know that your line might pass now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

irishboyuk wrote: »
    quick question. when eircom roll out the faster speeds to customers will that mean that anyone that currently lives too far from the exchange will be able to get broadband.

i cannot get bb as im to far from exchange, my understanding is that the faster speeds will mean that the signal be be able to travel futher.. is this correct??

As cremo says, it depends on several factors. If the upgrades are ADSL2+ then there is some evidence to suggest that people further from the exchange may now be in coverage. I know a guy on Smart ADSL2+ who's line consistently failed with eircom. As soon as Smart came along he that. He'd be about 2.5-3 miles from the exchange.

If you are more then 4-5 miles from the exchange then the upgrade probably won't help you. Also, if your line is of poor quality then this will also effect it and could prevent you getting DSL. Finally, if you're line is on a pairgain (line splitter) then you may be ruled out completely.

All you can really do is wait and see what happens when the upgrades are rolled out, check your line and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I think I can confirm that the upgrades will indeed be ADSL2+

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

arseagon wrote: »
    I think I can confirm that the upgrades will indeed be ADSL2+
    I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Not at all, it's up on the dealer channel.

Advertisement