Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed from cyclists with kids

Options
  • 26-03-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I've been off the bike now for nearly four months(pregnant belly makes it too awkward!) but I am having serious withdrawal symptoms!

So to keep my mind off not cycling I'm researching how I can combine a new baby and cycling...has anyone any advice on what I can get in the way of baby seats for the bike, and how old a baby should be before they can be used?

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike to go with the seat and keeping my road bike for 'me' time. So any advice on those little covered trailer thingys I've seen would be good too

Hope you guys can help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sorry can't help at all but will read it with interest. I've often seen a young dad flying along Dun Laoighre pier / Sandymount coast with a very young kid in a buggy and the dad on roller blades or just running (quickly). That kid will grow up scared of nothing:)

P.S. Congratulations (if that's ok from a stranger).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

finkwad wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been off the bike now for nearly four months(pregnant belly makes it too awkward!) but I am having serious withdrawal symptoms!

So to keep my mind off not cycling I'm researching how I can combine a new baby and cycling...has anyone any advice on what I can get in the way of baby seats for the bike, and how old a baby should be before they can be used?

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike to go with the seat and keeping my road bike for 'me' time. So any advice on those little covered trailer thingys I've seen would be good too

Hope you guys can help!

I worked in bike shop before so have seen all the different types of equipment out there.

The baby seat attachs to the frame of most bike. It is like having the child on a carrier on the back except they are well strapped in. They have a four point harness and adjustabe foot mounting. They can go on them from about 3-6 months. They are fairly sturdy but the thing is is that if in an accident then they will just go wherever the bike goes. The kids like this usually as they can see everything.

The trailers are also good but they can be a bit annoying to cycle around with. more difficult to manuovre as due to the extra length and that it pivots from the mounting at the frame or seat post. There is more room in them and thus the baby feels like they are playing in a tent :)

The most popular is the baby seat on the back. Try get one of the decent makes and preferably one were the sides come above the babys head.

It goes without saying that a good helmet is essential for the baby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mezorex.com

I've been using Romer Jockey Comfort and I am really happy with it.

1583662-n.jpg

There is a lot of information about this seat on Romer website:

http://www.britax-roemer.de/produktbike.php?lang=en&catID=2&id=16&navid=31

Before you buy check if it will fit on your bike.
    If you have a full suspension bike it may be a problem ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 finkwad

Thanks for the replies.

After reading these and some pm's, I think I might go for the bike trailer and get a MTB to put it on(any excuse for a new bike, eh?!)

I'll use it mainly for spinning up and down to the beach and around town - loads of hills involved so I'll have my lovely big 'man thighs' back in no time!:rolleyes:

Oobydooby, thanks for the congrats...which I love getting, even off strangers(just as long as they don't touch the bump - :eek:verrry annoying!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Would anyone have any links for websites where i can see these seats and trailers and things or buy them ? The cycling sites i usually use don't seem to have them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

After reading these and some pm's, I think I might go for the bike trailer and get a MTB to put it on(any excuse for a new bike, eh?!)
    How about getting a hybrid? Lighter and faster and closer to your road bike.
    (just as long as they don't touch the bump - :eek:verrry annoying!)
    That was my wife's fear but I think she gave off a vibe that meant no one tried.

I can't wait until my 4 month son is big enough for a seat or trailer.

The PDF for the Romer Jockey Comfort is amusing: on page 8 [an English page]: "It is nicht possible to use this bicycle child seat..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I spotted a cycling mum today with what looked like a very small baby (4-6 months) on a carrier seat fixed to the crossbar in front of mum, so mum was effectively cycling with her arms around the baby seat.

I fitted a rear child seat to mine once our girl got to approx 18 months, and we've used it for the odd spin to the park at weekends. I'm hoping to use it on the school run as the weather improves. It would be great if the Montessori would allow me to leave the seat at the school during the day, but they are a bit tight for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I have a WeeRide Kangaroo:

http://www.seatsforkids.com/prod_details.asp?ProdID=1 (they will ship to Ireland...just email for delivery price)

Click the link for full information and you'll see a (cheesy) video of how it fits. Best thing for me is that the seat can be attached and removed in seconds, so I don't have to commute with the seat in place. Fitting was tricky on my hybrid as the frame isn't the biggest. Riding with the seat in place isn't ideal as you have to splay you legs or your knees will hit it. Also I have to drop my seat right down so my feet can touch the ground when I'm in the saddle. It's fine for pottering around but you wouldn't want to be travelling great distances.

My little one is too young for a helmet so I can't take her for rides yet but I have wheeled her to creche and she's happy enough.

Advertisement