Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can connection go "idle"?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

If I leave my computer for more than 30 minutes or so I lose my connection by the time I come back. I might have a few tabs open in firefox and when I come back and either refresh a current page or try to go to a new one I get the screen that says it can't find the page. After waiting for a couple of minutes it'll work again.

Anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Your BB modem will have an 'idle timeout' that can be changed or removed. The easiest way around it is to change the modem settings to 'Always On'.

What modem have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Your BB modem will have an 'idle timeout' that can be changed or removed. The easiest way around it is to change the modem settings to 'Always On'.

What modem have you?

it's a Zyxel Prestige 600 series, standard BT one I think, I'll give a look for that timeout thing. Thanks.

Just looked through the stuff on the modem and I can't see anything mentioning idle timeout. Do you know what menu it's under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Are you with Perlico? My folks have the same modem with Perlico, and last weekend I noticed similar behaviour to what you're describing. It's like it goes to sleep, then you need to keep refreshing a page to make it wake up again.

I had a look through the settings for the network connection, but couldn't find anything that looked like I could set it up to be always-on. I remember something like a web-based configurator I used with it before (I saw reference to it in the manual), but I did a fresh install of their system over the weekend, and can't remember how I used/got it before. We have the modem connected through a network card (not the USB cable), and if memory serves me, it's not like the modem is actually part of the computer system, it's configuration is internal to the modem, and thus needs to be configured through a web-browser (though I'm open to correction - someone else here may have gone through the process more recently than me).

Anyway, I'm going to search for some information that might be helpful, and will post anything useful I find.

Found this, might help get you to the configuration screen, I can't test it as my folks are on the other side of the country, but it looks familiar:

Make sure your modem is turned on
    Open Internet Explorer
    Enter this URL: h**p://192.168.1.1
    If you’re asked to enter a login and password, enter admin for username/login and 1234 for password
    You’ll be taken into the zyxel modem configuration menu

Taken from here: http://www.mukamo.com/pldt-mydsl-modem-settings/

Note: replace the "**" above with "tt"

• Advertisement

Something else here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/Prestige600/SlingBox.htm

You need to go down about halfway to start to see how to enter the configurator.

Just go through the menus in advanced or maintenance until you see something that looks like it relates to the time-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some DSL providers disconnect idle connections to save IP addresses. In this case no configuration changes will help. The modem then has to re-aquire an IP, which may be different. An IRC channel left connected may stop the connection dropping (or Skype text, ICQ etc..), low bandwidth and makes the connection look as if in use.

Or apply to your ISP for a Static IP. (Charges may apply).

Thanks for the replies Bio and watty. I tried going through the modem menu using 192.168.1.1 a few days ago but couldn't see anything mentioning time-out, for the moment I think I'll try watty's idea of leaving msn or something like that turned on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Don't hold me to this but the setting you are loking for mght be described as "nailed up"

• Advertisement

Thank you! I never clicked the 'Next' button on the bottom of the wizard set up the last time I went looking through the menus. It was set to 100 seconds, so should i set it to 0 seconds or select 'nailed up'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nailed up, if always on means anything.

Advertisement