Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much fuel consumption you got from different petrol station??

• 26-03-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

Do you all find out the Fuel quality is different between Petrol stations? For example, I am driving a 01 1.6 petrol VW Passat. I found out that Statoil give me a about 320 miles for every 50 Euro of petrol but I got only 280 from Taxco.

My Experience for each Petrol Station...

Statoil>Tesco=Maxol>taxco>Esso

Please feed back with what you think & let us discuss it as this could save us a few qued....:):pac:

Thanks all.smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

All the same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Can traffic and weather/driving conditions be taken as constant? Me thinks not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

All the same for me and I mainly use Statoil or Shell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Can traffic and weather/driving conditions be taken as constant? Me thinks not.

Or prices for that matter?

Why do people not use mpg or l/100km when giving fuel consumption figures instead of "I get 400 miles from 50 squid" or "I do a good bit of long distance driving and only have to fill the tank once a week"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

These figures were compiled over 3 tanks at each petrol station:

Statoil (Nutgrove): 8.3 l/100km
    Tesco (Dundrum) : 8.2 l/100km
    Texaco (Near Cornelscourt): 7.7 l/100km

If I remember correctly, it is a 6% difference.

It is worth pointing out that Topaz supplies both Tesco and Statoil. It could be my imagination, but before I did the figures, I thought that my car ('01 Almera) idled better on the Texaco petrol. I do mostly urban driving and agree with previous posters that "y miles" from €50 is a useless figure, mpg (US gallons) or l/100km is a much better indication of fuel efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lidbd

C.D. wrote: »

If I remember correctly, it is a 6% difference.

It is worth pointing out that Topaz supplies both Tesco and Statoil. It could be my imagination, but before I did the figures, I thought that my car ('01 Almera) idled better on the Texaco petrol. I do mostly urban driving and agree with previous posters that "y miles" from €50 is a useless figure, mpg (US gallons) or l/100km is a much better indication of fuel efficiency.

Ok, Here is the figurs after the calculation

I got 9.14 l/100KM from Taxaco
    and 8.55 l/100km from Statoil

Is it really the BIG DIFFERENCE in between???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'll do the same mileage around Dublin this week and next week,
    next week with the kids back in school traffic will be a mare.
    What was a 25 minute drive this morning will take 45-60 minutes
    and my fuel consumption will be worse ;)

I've never noticed a difference between petrol suppliers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Maxol are selling e5 in most of their unleaded pumps.

It has been said that this gives better milage (kilometerage:confused:) than regular 95RON that everyone else has.

I put a tankfull in last week to see if there is any difference - will work out figures on the next fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

C.D. wrote: »

lidbd wrote: »

The fact that your figures independently contradict each other would lead me to presume that it is more down to driving style or general circumstances that actual fuel quailty.

Is it really the BIG DIFFERENCE in between???

How did you calculate these figures? I assumed you didn't have them from the original post.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    How did you calculate these figures? I assumed you didn't have them from the original post.

Hey Javaboy,

I used my calculator and got the above result..mathmatics :)

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ando

AudiChris wrote: »
    it is more down to driving style or general circumstances that actual fuel quailty.

Exactly, I know if I drive like I would normally, I'd be spending aprox 70 quid a week but if money's tight I can get it down to about 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

shanel23 wrote: »
    All the same for me and I mainly use Statoil or Shell

Same Company (Topaz)

Hey Javaboy,

I used my calculator and got the above result..mathmatics :)

smile.gif

:rolleyes: So was your tank empty before each test? Did you track the actual amount of fuel or just the price you paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

This has come up a few times before. I noticed a trend in the last thread on this that the jap cars seemed more sensitive and disliked the Tesco brand petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

AudiChris wrote: »
    The fact that your figures independently contradict each other would lead me to presume that it is more down to driving style or general circumstances that actual fuel quailty.

In the context of a sample size of two it would appear so. Obviously to derive concrete statistics, you'd need a much larger sample size. A point to note is that my figures were collated over 6 tanks, so at least with regards to my car and driving style Texaco petrol seems to do the trick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

chris85 wrote: »
    This has come up a few times before. I noticed a trend in the last thread on this that the jap cars seemed more sensitive and disliked the Tesco brand petrol.

Thats aload of crap ive seen Statoil & Esso Tankers at my Local Tesco Station there is no "Tesco" Brand they buy it from whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think it's all in your head OP. Sounds like an urban myth!

As also, there are always queues at Tesco Clarehall (largest Tesco in Ireland afaik)
    Many, many of those queing are taxis and that's a reliable guide imo
    Ok, that's my anecdotal evidence which you can ignore but taxi drivers wouldn't be buying Tesco fuel if they were getting 6% less milage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055254783

My thread from a couple of weeks back. Don't know about MPG but I've since filled my bike in Statoil;) and noticed an instant improvement in the running too.

EDIT: right link, now

cantdecide wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055262514

My thread from a couple of weeks back. Don't know about MPG but I've since filled my bike in Statoil;) and noticed an instant improvement in the running too.

:confused: You linked to this thread?

• Advertisement

No I didn't. What you on about:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

micmclo wrote: »
    taxi drivers wouldn't be buying Tesco fuel if they were getting 6% less milage.

+1

cantdecide wrote: »
    No I didn't. What you on about:D

Oh corrected now I see ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I drive a diesel van aswell as my car and i stuck a tank of green diesel in the van and it seemed to drive better and went alot further than normal pump diesel. Are they watering it down so to speak??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

Thats aload of crap ive seen Statoil & Esso Tankers at my Local Tesco Station there is no "Tesco" Brand they buy it from whoever.

I dont think its crap. I usually go to Texaco . but the other day I went to Tesco and filled it up there, my car seemed to stall and alot while I was running on that petrol. as soon as the tank was filled again at my local Texaco it was back to mormal and hasnt sounded strange or stalled since. never going to Tesco again. also the tesco petrol only lasted me 3 days from a full tank where as the Texaco lasts about 4 maybe 4 and a half days. Travelling to the same places at the same times.

( I drive a 1.5 mx3 import )

daauneal wrote: »
    I dont think its crap. I usually go to Texaco . but the other day I went to Tesco and filled it up there, my car seemed to stall and alot while I was running on that petrol. as soon as the tank was filled again at my local Texaco it was back to mormal and hasnt sounded strange or stalled since. never going to Tesco again. also the tesco petrol only lasted me 3 days from a full tank where as the Texaco lasts about 4 maybe 4 and a half days. Travelling to the same places at the same times.

( I drive a 1.5 mx3 import )

Did you just using Tesco petrol once or many times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

i think the answer is to start driving smaller cars, my girlfriends 06 1.0L yaris averages 5.3/5.4 l/100km. This would usually be for urban driving. Got 4.8 l/100km when i took it for a spin to Limerick. The range counter usually gives 615km just after filling up which costs €45 at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Who supplies Emo stations? I usually get from either Emo or Shell because they're the cheapest near me. Haven't noticed a difference between the two.

And do Topaz supply independants as well? I see a good few around these days.

Are they still putting that Techron stuff in Texaco petrol? Haven't really used it much (or the recent Maxol stuff) because they're significantly more expensive than the others in Limerick.

And what about Shell V-Power? Anyone even bother with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

All the pumps should display the BS standard for the petrol, and I assume it's the same everywhere?

• Advertisement

cc wrote: »
    i think the answer is to start driving smaller cars

The only problem with this theory is that in order to gain on fuel consumption is that you must buy the ABSOLUTE WRONG car for a long trip to Limerick and indeed the majority of your useage (assuming you're an average person with average motoring requirements). The majority of people are losing fortunes on depreciation on overpriced shopping trolleys and quibbling and b*tching about a handful of mpg.

My '98 2.8 Luxury "guzzler" gets 24 mpg and I've spent about €3k on tax and fuel in the last year. The other side is that I've enjoyed a very high specced, powerful, refined, comfortable, safe, capable and premium quality prestigious car where depreciation is negligable thus making it as economical, if not more economical all things considered And by gum am I getting value for money.

Advertisement