Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do i know if a golf mkiv is a gt tdi without badge?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Im new and id say this question has been answered but cant find it.
    Basically mite be buying a 04 mkiv golf gt tdi (red di) 130bhp but the badge on the boot is just tdi(red di). how do i know if it is really a gt? it has cd player a/c, gt alloys etc...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

have you checked the registration cert?
    what engines are in the tdi and the gt-tdi "litre wise"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

landydef wrote: »
    have you checked the registration cert?
    what engines are in the tdi and the gt-tdi "litre wise"?

They are both 1.9L PD units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 04GOLF130

Im only thinking of buying it so havent seen any paper work. yea its 1.9 they are all 1.9s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

how about bringing the chasis number into a dealer ???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GT TDi was never offically sold in Ireland so any you are viewing are UK imports.

If your serious about buying it get the chassis number and run a UK HPI check on the car. That will tell the car's history including the specification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Sticker in the boot, beside the spare wheel. This give the engine output in kw. 96kw = 130, Also the 130 cars are all ASZ engines (should be on the sticker as well). It should have a 6 speed box, recaro type seats and leather steering wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

There's a big thread on here debating whether or not to call them GT TDi or not. The only true gt tdi in my mind is the anni edition

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought the gt tdi was 150 bhp with all the letters red?

Anyway the boot sticker as mentioned above is a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

6 speed box in the 130 and 150 is quickest way! Don't heed the badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Whats a GT TDI? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The 150 has a front mount intercooler and the 130 has its in the right hand side wheel arch. The sticker in the boot will tell you the engine code and it should have a 6spd box too.
    My mate bought a 150 gt tdi in this country new in 04, from connolys in ballina. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The seats on the GT TDI (sold as highline in Ireland) are Recaro, I find this the easiest way to tell besides looking at the KW in the boot, handiest way to tell just by looking inside a car. I suppose it's possible someone could lash Recaro seats in but unlikely. I've seen GT TDI's with GTI, TDI and variations of red/silver letting for the GTI/TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I had a GT Tdi in the UK and the it had GT Tdi on the V5 registration cert. I took a copy of the V5 when I re-registered the car here. The car is just a golf Tdi on the Irish reg cert.

I'd check the VIN No. with a UK dealer to find out, just like the customs do :mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

GT TDi also has tinted rear lights and the GTi alloy, but these are an easy upgrade i guess, and possilbly even available as an option when new.

So like others say the VIN# and power output is the best way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 04GOLF130

Cheers for all your replies. great help. lots of info and ideas for me to look in2. im actually going looking at a 03 golf now 150bhp highline with the recaro seats also.....oh decisions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

tossy wrote: »
    Whats a GT TDI? :rolleyes:

A very overated car with a tractor engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You learn something new every day!

Recaros in diesel golfs!

In my lifetime ive seen maybe 1 or 2 150bhp golfs with leather recaros fitted that were a special order when the original owner spec'ed it in the dealers,ive seen lots of diesel golfs with recaros retro fitted including my old golf.

The only diesel golf that came with recaros(cloth not leather) as standard is the anni 150 tdi badged as a GTI (a fine car but a disgrace to bade a TDI as a GTI) leather recaros were not available as an upgrade in the anniversary golf petrol or diesel.

The anniversary model aside Vw stopped putting recaros in MK4 GTIs after 2001 the only recaros availible after that were leather ones and only as a special order.Cloth recaros were never available in any diesel golf(anni aside) so if you see cloth recaros in a diesel you know the were retro fitted.

VW sport seats which came in highline spec model diesels and all GTI's post 2001 are NOT made by recaro,if it doesnt say recaro on the seats(front and back seats,either stitched into the cloth versions or pressed into the leather versions) then the are NOT recaro seats.

Now as for over rated,the TDI golf is over rated to an extent,let me explain...

The TDI golf particulary the 130 bhp and too a slightly lesser extent the 150 bhp version is a fine car,but not perfect.ive been part of the VW secen both here and in the UK for a long time now and i know that with a few alterations the TDI golf can be a very good car,a decent suspension set up and remap at the very least will improve things drastically.

Why do i favour a 130 over a 150? simply put the 130 is a far superior engine,the 150 suffers from many problems the 130 doesnt such as increaed turbo lag and failure of certain key internals,any decntly tuned TDI golf i know started life as a 130pd TDI golf.

Now why do i say its an overrated car? simply because people esp the irish car driving puiblic put them up on a plint as beacons of reliability and cars that hold their value! the are not as reliable as the myth says but if you look after it well it will never let you down the TDI engine no matter what car its in is a highly strung engine it needs a little TLC every 10k on the button and when you get over 100k you would be advise to administer a little TLC every 6 or 7K people buy TDIs drive the ring out of them service them at their leaure and then complain when the water pump fails or the turbo blows or it starts burning oil!!,the do hold there value better than some hatchback diesels but some ofthe asking prices on carzone would make you laugh,i recently sold my old 2002 TDI golf on carzone full service history like above immaculate inside and out a few bells and whistles that no other TDI golf for sale in the country had at the time,if i had of based my pricing on cars currently on carzone i would have advertised it at 18,000 euro!! but i put it in at what i knew it was worth and it sold in less than 5 days-ALL of the overpriced under spec golfs that i looked at on carzone before selling mine are still there to this day!

So its overrated in terms of peoples expectations.

As for the godforesaken GT badge nonsense im not gonig to address that as im blue in the face talking about that crap! buy a well looked after highline TDI golf and buy a GT badge of ebay and hey presto you have the perfect car a TDI golf with a GT badge attached which must be good for at least 40 bhp!!!

I say do this because thats exactly what UK dealers did to invent the MK GT TDI golf,there must be a shed load of spare 'I' badges floating around in the UK as the 'GT's the used came from GTI badges!!

Im sick to the teeth of misinformed GT TDI posts,can we get it made a sticky or somthing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Boating terms like yaw, roll and pitch could be applied to that model Golf. Nose raises up on lift-off.. I thought only Emerald Star's finest did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It'll have the tacky wooden finish on the inside too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There's no such thing as a Mk4 Golf GT TDI for Ireland, in any shape or form. The Anniversary model for Ireland ran on the only fuel worthy of a GTI badge (yes they did bring in a few for us). They brought in Highline models which looked very like the UK only GT TDI, though you could also buy all the other engines bar the 1.4 in Highline trim too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement