Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no willpower. hypnosis/ alternative therapy?

• 26-03-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been trying to loose weight for a while now. I probably need to loose a stone, maybe a little more. I am a little over my max ideal BMI now (26) so want to get down to under 25.
    I have no willpower at all. Part of the problem is that where I work, I am literally surrounded by crisps and chocolate. I try to "be good" and not eat junk or limit it to a small amount, but it only lasts a few days, and I am back to my old ways again.

I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend an alternative therapy or something that would help me. tks creme egg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

why dont you try the cheat day approach where your eating strict 6 days a week and have one day where you can eat what you like that way the diet becomes a series of sprints as oposed to a big long marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eat 6 meals a day, evenly spaced out. Surround yourself with healthy alternative snacks in work. Regular meals means your last was only a short time ago, and your next is not far, it is easier to resist snacks. It also ends up reducing your appetite/stomach size, it is never overly full, so never stretched (thats what I found anyway, no more grumbling).

I get these mini granny smiths, satsumas, ryvitas, grapes etc.

Do you do much exercise? or any resistance training, like pushups or wieghts? this will increase your metabolism. It will also add a little muscle which further increases your metabolism. But BMI is not a great measure of health, most of the healthiest & fittest people who post here are probably overweight or obese on the BMI scale, due to high muscle mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sally fletcher

creme egg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been trying to loose weight for a while now. I probably need to loose a stone, maybe a little more. I am a little over my max ideal BMI now (26) so want to get down to under 25.
    I have no willpower at all. Part of the problem is that where I work, I am literally surrounded by crisps and chocolate. I try to "be good" and not eat junk or limit it to a small amount, but it only lasts a few days, and I am back to my old ways again.

I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend an alternative therapy or something that would help me. tks creme egg

Hi there,
    I did alot of research into hypnotherapy and eventually chose one..reputable...affiliated etc.
    Did a double session to start off. For willpower like you and I have a stone or at an absolute max 2stone to lose. It did not work at all.I was really disappinted in myself for having wasted the money.
    Then I realised that as always I look for the easy way out...the quick fix.
    I really evaluated everything and months later I started exercising for me and once you get passed that toughness you will get to the feel good I have to exercise mode.
    I also then joined weightwatchers to get the most from my exercise and eating regime. I lost almost a stone in 4weeks and now I am heading hell for leather towards my next stone.
    That will be very small for me but at the same time healthy, achievable and with treats.
    I hope you can find the willpower I did. Even a little to push you and then when ya lose a couple of pounds...therin lies the motivation to push you further. Not the hypnotherapy...
    Best of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It just so happens that I spent the day looking at books about self hypnosis and checking out cds. One book suggested you make up your own affirmations and record them, so they are relevant to you.

I did one along the lines of "I am in control of myself and my food. I eat when I'm hungry. I make great food choices, eat slowly and enjoy my food, but I stop when I've had enough. I'm not a dustbin and don't need to finish everything on my plate or nibble between meals. I have a strong healthy body and really enjoy exercising it." Then I recorded it into my phone and played it a few times.

Maybe it's the Day One effect, but I defintely ate less and exercised more today than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

EileenG wrote: »
    It just so happens that I spent the day looking at books about self hypnosis and checking out cds. One book suggested you make up your own affirmations and record them, so they are relevant to you.

I did one along the lines of "I am in control of myself and my food. I eat when I'm hungry. I make great food choices, eat slowly and enjoy my food, but I stop when I've had enough. I'm not a dustbin and don't need to finish everything on my plate or nibble between meals. I have a strong healthy body and really enjoy exercising it." Then I recorded it into my phone and played it a few times.

That's a good idea. I do something similar, however its not recorded.
    Im off chocolate/crisps/cakes/icecream etc since Monday as I want to lose bita weight I'v put on recently and it's been tough as I'v been on a week's hol's from college and there's biscuits and easter eggs galore around the place, staring at me every minute of the day. But every time im tempted I stop and think about it..I talk myself. I tell myself I am stronger than my cravings. I don't need it. Your body is a temple. It may satisfy me for 5minutes but I will feel worse after it. If I want to lose this bita weight this is the sacrifice I have to make, otherwise I'll be going the other way! Think of the clothes!:D
    Has worked so far anyway. Think my cravings are lessening as time goes on..

• Advertisement

I'm a firm believer in making things easy for yourself. Chuck all the chocolate and other junk into the bin (the black one, so you are not tempted to rescue it), After all, it's no better for the kids than for you. Fill the fridge with good stuff that will help your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I'm a firm believer in making things easy for yourself. Chuck all the chocolate and other junk into the bin (the black one, so you are not tempted to rescue it)
    I think my family would lynch me if I threw out all the chocolate!:D
    After all, it's no better for the kids than for you.
    Kids?!!!:eek:
    I may teach them, but I don't plan on having my own any time soon!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Istrancis

This is probably the worst part, Creme Egg, because you can't get motivated due to lack of results, which in turn makes your motivation weaker. It's a vicious circle.

Once you start seeing the results of a healthier lifestyle, your willpower will increase. My advice is to moniter yourself closely for even slight improvements in your weight, and the more you see the stronger you will become!

Best of luck, and remember: You Can Do It!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank-you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

I think the best way for me would be to start weight watchers, that way I have someone to answer to IYKWIM. If I try to follow it myself, I always slip.

Istrancis, you hit the nail on the head there with my vicious circle, that is exactly my problem. I saw an ad for WW recently, and they have some kick start plan, where you could lose up to 5 lbs in two weeks (or something along those lines) This is the kind of kick up my (ample) back side I need, then I feel I would stick to a plan, as I can clearly see that it is working.

thanks again.

creme egg

If you need a kickstart with a dramatic weight loss, then I'd suggest low carb. It's quite common to lose 7-10lb of weight in the first two weeks. Yes, most of that is water, but it still registers on the scales and provides motivation.

A low carb diet is based on fresh fish, eggs, meat, chicken and lots and lots of green vegetables and salad. Fill the gaps with nuts, seeds, berries, olive oil, cheese, etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Istrancis

creme egg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank-you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

I think the best way for me would be to start weight watchers, that way I have someone to answer to IYKWIM. If I try to follow it myself, I always slip.

Istrancis, you hit the nail on the head there with my vicious circle, that is exactly my problem. I saw an ad for WW recently, and they have some kick start plan, where you could lose up to 5 lbs in two weeks (or something along those lines) This is the kind of kick up my (ample) back side I need, then I feel I would stick to a plan, as I can clearly see that it is working.

thanks again.

creme egg

Just glad I could help, egg! ;)

If you can lose a little weight in a short amount of time, that's great, and it'll provide plenty of motivation for you to keep going. Just make sure that you're comfortable with it yourself <i>before</i> you commit. Just like Eileen said, a kick start to motivate you could have great long term results.

Best of luck with it Egg, I hope you succeed. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Advertisement