Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnose my car problem please !

Options
  • 26-03-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm driving a 99 1.8L Volvo s40. (no underpowered jokes please :-) )
    Anyway, I have 75,000 miles on the clock. Still on first timing belt (to be done at 80k).
    I've had the car 2.5 years and although its never been a rocket, I've really noticed lately that it appears to be losing power and getting noisier.

I'm really noticing that when I put the boot down in 2nd and 3rd, the rev counts shoots up (along with the noise the car is making) but the speedometer just isnt keeping up. So essentially the car feels noisier and less powerful than it did before. I'm noticing it taking off, passing out etc.

Its had a full service for NCT last October and this was the first service its ever had done outside of a main dealer. So i'm thinking would the grade of oil put in at the time be poorer than what it's been used to ?

Also, last November or so the spark plug cables had to be changed as the car was shuddering as if losing and gaining power when driving at certain revs. Although this fixed the problem, about once a week I still experience (in second gear usually) a split second drop of power followed by a return to normal driving, a kindof momentary vacuum of power where you think the car is going to stop followed by a return to normal.

Would the above hint to anything or are there any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be spark leads

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could be spark plugs or leads, Could also be your clutch is slipping....sounds like the problem as your reves are going up but the speed isn't.....

Time for a service.....and change that timing belt your playing with fire leaving it that long.....the recommended interval might be 80k but i'm sure somwhere in the manual it says 80k or 2 years which comes first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ive had this symptom a few times. Try these:

- Check for vacuum leaks on the hosing / piping after the air flow meter on engine inlet manifold. Check thouroughy for splits in the rubber boot.

- After 10 years my catalytic converter was on its way out, despite passing emissions about 5 months earlier. However the lull in power was more noticeable when the cat was hot, i.e. after driving for 15mins or so.

Also,

- Check wheels spin freely in case anything seized like handbrake shoes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cthe recommended interval might be 80k but i'm sure somwhere in the manual it says 80k or 2 years which comes first.....

I'd imagine it's 5 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

If revs are rising but speed isnt it sounds like your clutch is starting to slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Definitely the clutch.

If the revs are rising but the road speed is not, then your clutch is worn out. I'm afraid it's time to whip out the gearbox and replace the clutch. Make sure they change all three bits: friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing.

Since it's going to be off the road for a few days this is a good time to get that cam belt changed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Definitely a slipping clutch. I had similar problems with my own car a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

This is great guys thanks. Anyone want to ruin my day by giving me a clutch ballpark figure ? And a timing belt ballpark if possible ? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

It'll be in the high hundreds that is for sure. Id say probably about 900 in total depending on where you go etc.

Day ruined?

Advertisement