Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania 24- Which match are you most looking forward to?

• 26-03-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

For me, it's pretty much a 1 match show. The HBK/Flair match is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Just in case I'll spoiler tag the rest of my post as it relates to Raw from this week a little bit:
    I was really looking forward to the match even though the WWE could have done a much better job with the Flair angle. However, after Monday's Raw my interest has really peaked. For 1 show, they let Ric Flair be Ric Flair. The promo was awesome. At times what he was saying didn't make alot of sense but the emotion in it made up for that in a big way.

Now I'm just waiting for 'Mania and when it's all said and done come Monday, I'm very confident this will be the match that "makes" Wrestlemania.

Which match are you most looking forward to? 41 votes

Orton v Cena v Triple H
    0%
    Edge v 'Taker
    9%
    peachesxcreamCHDWilliam NoMateswm24 4 votes
    Big Show v Mayweather
    24%
    Cactus Colevad_lhorgTheBigEvilec18Furious-Redchips1234callaway92Kane-N-NitebUILDERtHEbOBDeeper Blue 10 votes
    Flair v Micheals
    2%
    dlofnep 1 vote
    The diva thing
    48%
    Bounty HunterMossy MonkPullMyFinger!FozzyRebelRockChickbestychopperbyrneVince135792003HorseRadishfatalTricity BendixMintoMikeHonchoKid NothingEire 4EverDancorMuff_Daddygrames_bondMachismo FanHandsome Bob 20 votes
    The ECW Chavo thing
    0%
    Money in the Bank
    0%
    Umaga v Batista
    14%
    DRakEV9D-FENSrizzlaBubs101simos 6 votes
    Finlay v JBL
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Big Show v Mayweather
    The Undertaker Edge match.

The Undertaker is a living legend, quite possibly the greatest big man to have ever graced the ring. He has basically been a main eventer since he arrived in the wwf almost twenty years ago. Hulkamania was still going strong, he has fought Jake The Snake, Hulk Hogan, King Kong Bundy, Sid, Kamala, Yokozuna, Mankind, Shawn Micheals, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, The Rock, Vader, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam, Brock Lesnar, Big Show, John Cena, and Batista .... fought and beat pretty much all of them at one point or another. And that's when pretty much all of them were in their prime. That's a pretty impressive list. AND he's still going strong, getting good matches out of Batista recently.

In Edge I see someone who is potentially going to be one of the greatest heels of his generation of wrestling. He has wrestling ability, bucketloads of charisma, and the right attitude. There is not one wrestler on any current wwe or tna roster that I would place above him.

To keep 'Taker's win streak at wrestlemania would be a fitting tribute to one of the promotions greatest. But, to beat Taker at wrestlemania ... this would be the ultimate push ... the ultimate honour for a worker. Not even retiring ric flair would come close to the prestige given to the person that could defeat 'taker at mania, while taker is still credibly fighting fit.

And I think Edge is the only person on either roster that would deserve it.

That's why I'm most excited about this fight .... beceause I really can't see how it's going to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

HBK/Flair match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The diva thing
    There is 4 huge matches. Edge vs. Undertaker deserves to be main event as for the 3rd straight year, despite Raws roster raid on Smackdown, Smackdown has a better World Title match than Raw.(Mysterio/Angle/Orton was robbed, it could have been a classic if given the time, though it was still a very good match.) Edge has worked very hard all year and deserves top spot, though this is not the match I am most looking forward to.

HHH vs. Cena vs. Orton. This should be a good match though if WWE really wanted to establish Orton as World Champ he should win. Not the match I am most pumped about though.

Mayweather vs. Big Show. Its interesting, neither man can credibly lose. How would Big Show look if he got his ass kicked and he would look worse if just gets caught by Mayweather and goes down. Mayweather will not lose his undefeated record in a "fake" sport. Though the horrible build has made it impossible to get into.

Finally, the match I am most looking forward to seeing. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. "The Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels. This could be the last time we see Ric Flair ever wrestle. The segment on Raw really sold the match. It got me excited about Wrestlemania for the first time. If anyone can bring the best out of Flair it would be HBK or 'Taker. 'Taker did it at WM 18 and HBK will do it on Sunday/Monday. It should be a great match and even if its a stinker the emotion will carry it through, though I don't think it will be a stinker.

As you may have noticed I decided to rant about WM as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The diva thing
    There's a few matches that could be great, but I haven't been too excited about them yet. You never know how a match like MITB will turn out. Edge vs Undertaker could be very good, but Edge seems to have lost a step since he got injured. A year ago he was better in the ring

The Raw main event should be solid, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to it a lot. The buildup has been a bit backwards

I felt the same about the Flair vs Michaels match up until Raw. Now it's become one of those matches that I just can't wait to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The diva thing
    Do you even have to ask? ;)Naitch is walking out of WM with his head held high.

There have been moments when WWE really messed up this angle. First that comes to mind is the New Years Eve Raw match between HHH and Flair. A very solid match with an absolutely bewildering and pointless finish. Another thing that comes to mind is how they let the opportunity pass for MVP or Kennedy to get over big time by beating Flair at WM. Also, someone pointed out to me the other day that Flair needing HBK's help to beat McMahon made him look weak as hell, and I agree.

BUT, this storyline has been without a doubt the most interesting one I have seen in a long, long time and I commend the WWE for what has been for the most part a very enjoyable angle (they should get ideas off Stone Cold more often).

Two friends and I were discussing going over to America for WM25 next year. We have this crazy feeling that the Deadman will be having his last match and want to catch it. But what I would have given to experience the emotion first hand for Naitch's last match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Umaga v Batista
    MITB: Jericho, MVP and Morrison in one match.. poundit.gif

also i've a horrible feeling the flair hbk is gonna fail :( flair just isnt up to it anymore :( tho his promo last monday was EXCELLENT.. the slap and craziness of flair was epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The diva thing
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    (they should get ideas off Stone Cold more often).

His idea was alot different to what they have actually done.

Just on the potential of HBK and Flair failing, I don't think it can really. I think the emotion surrounding the match will carry it through. In saying that, I'm sure both guys want the match to be as good as it can be and will pull out everything they physically have.

The promo on Monday was also a little sad in one way. Don't get me wrong, it was phenomenal but it showed how wasteful they have been with Ric Flair by basically selotaping his mouth for the best part of 5 years (leaving aside the odd moment with Foley or Vince) that he's been on Raw.

The diva thing
    DRakE wrote: »
    also i've a horrible feeling the flair hbk is gonna fail :( flair just isnt up to it anymore :( tho his promo last monday was EXCELLENT.. the slap and craziness of flair was epic

Eh, he had a fantastic match with Triple H on New Years Eve. before it was ruined by a pointless ending.:confused: Regardless of that, HBK can make Cena look like an awesome wrestler, I am sure he'll carry a bit of the burden for naitch.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Umaga v Batista
    (leaving aside the odd moment with Foley or
    "I'll kill you too you little bitch!"

made me actually lol so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

The diva thing
    Has to be Flair/HBK for yours truly. That promo on Raw was the best I've seen in God knows how long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Flair v Micheals
    Is flair retiring afterwards?

The diva thing
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Is flair retiring afterwards?

Whatever way it ends, yes. Either he loses and is retired or he wins and retires on his own terms straight after the match or on the next night on Raw (or at least that's how I see it anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Flair v Micheals
    Whatever way it ends, yes. Either he loses and is retired or he wins and retires on his own terms straight after the match or on the next night on Raw (or at least that's how I see it anyway).

Yeah I figured as much. Don't watch it much but it felt as if they were building it up for the send off he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

The diva thing
    Flair/HBK match for me! It's gonna be very emotional after the match I'd say. Can see it being match of the night.

MITB would be another I'm looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

The diva thing
    After watching RAW,it has to be michaels and flair.There is no reason why this match won't steal the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The diva thing
    Flair v HBK for me too. Funny thing is, the diva match will probably get more prominance :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Big Show v Mayweather
    i voted for taker v edge cause i think it'll be the match of the night, i dont think flair- michaels will anywhere near as good as people are expecting i think most of you are voting for it for the sentimental side of things imo

The diva thing
    chips1234 wrote: »
    i voted for taker v edge cause i think it'll be the match of the night, i dont think flair- michaels will anywhere near as good as people are expecting i think most of you are voting for it for the sentimental side of things imo

Nope, Flair proved he can still have a solid match when he fought Triple H on New Years Eve, even though the ending was crappy. Also, he is not fighting just anyone, he's fighting HBK, someone with a proven track record of turning it on at WM.

If Batista can end up being a part of the match of the year at WM23, then I'm sure one of the best wrestlers of all time (regardless of his age) can have a great match with HBK.

Sure, sentimentality has a lot to do with it. But there is good reason for saying they could end up having the best match of the night

Big Show v Mayweather
    Nope, Flair proved he can still have a solid match when he fouught Triple H on New Years Eve, even though the ending was crappy. Also, he is not fighting just anyone, he's fighting HBK, someone with a proven track record of turning it on at WM.

If Batista can end up being a part of the match of the year at WM23, then I'm sure one of the best wrestlers of all time (regardless of his age) can have a great match with HBK.

maybe he will we'll have to wait and see i suppose ??

The diva thing
    maybe he will we'll have to wait and see i suppose ??

Exactly;)

But I imagine that it will be between those two matches. The Triple Threat could surprise everyone, I'd say they are pulling out all the stops to prove people wrong. MITB missed SB terribly last year so I'm expecting a much better match this year.

• Advertisement

Big Show v Mayweather
    Exactly;)

But I imagine that it will be between those two matches. The Triple Threat could surprise everyone, I'd say they are pulling out all the stops to prove people wrong. MITB missed SB terribly last year so I'm expecting a much better match this year.

If HHH doesnt win the triple threat id be surprised but if there gonna do something with the match id say it would be orton retaining but i dont see that happening with HHH and cena in the match.I think mitb will miss jeff hardy alot without his high flying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

HBK and Flair match i think will be good, also looking forward to Undertake and Edge

The diva thing
    If HHH doesnt win the triple threat id be surprised but if there gonna do something with the match id say it would be orton retaining but i dont see that happening with HHH and cena in the match.I think mitb will miss jeff hardy alot without his high flying :(

No doubt Jeff will be missed. It would have been great to have him and Shelton both doing some crazy ****. But I am happy about Shelton. They didn't really use Jeff as good as they could of at WM23 (besides for the Edge thing). I just think we will get a lot more brilliant 'set pieces' involving Shelton than we would of with Jeff this time around.

Big Show v Mayweather
    No doubt Jeff will be missed. It would have been great to have him and Shelton both doing some crazy ****. But I am happy about Shelton. They didn't really use Jeff as good as they could of at WM23 (besides for the Edge thing). I just think we will get a lot more brilliant 'set pieces' involving Shelton than we would of with Jeff this time around.

he definitely has what it takes to light it up !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Big Show v Mayweather
    I hope Taker doesn't lose his streak. I know it would be a huge push and big slap on the back for Edge (who is one of the greatest heels around, JBL is my fav. )

I just think that should be Takers legacy, a streak never to be be matched. He was unlucky last year, having won the title to get injured so soon after it, to give it up. When they needed someone to take a fall and lose a world title match, he's stepped up many times and been the guy that was screwed outta the gold.

He's never gonna be a 10 time world champ, so its fitting that his legacy is the WM streak.

I like Edge a lot, but would prefer to see him lose, and come back at Taker in a PPV or two time and regain the title.

EDGE.....RIP :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The diva thing
    I was a bit sceptical of whether the Flair vs Michaels match would be good, but having read interviews with them both you can tell that they feel under pressure to perform, especially Shawn. Shawn rarely does badly when he's in a big match and other wrestlers have spoken of this match as the true main event, so as long as Flair doesn't freeze (which is unlikely) then I think it'll be a good match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Umaga v Batista
    MITB is the one for me just because it's very unpredictable this year. Also curious about the ECW match.

I agree with Drake that Flair vs. HBK will fall flat, he's just not up to it in the ring anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The diva thing
    Flair is up to it. Do you think a man that has been wrestling that long and has such a legacy will go out with a stinker. Even if Flair isn't up to pace, he can still wrestle. He has the psychology down and it is difficult to have a bad match with HBK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Big Show v Mayweather
    DRakE wrote: »
    MITB: Jericho, MVP and Morrison in one match.. poundit.gif

eh ok ill save that for the divas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Flair has never had that Wrestlemania moment like Hogan had at WM18 or WM3, Shawn usually turns it on for WM and I hope Flair gets his moment. Thing with Ric is that all his great matchs are 60mins+, no way they'll give him anything like that even if his body is still up to it. I agree that WWE have totally under used Ric since he came over again.

I hate the idea of a boxer/wrestler match. Surprised at Mayweather but I guess money talks. I thought Big show retired? Sorry I don't follow wwe as much these days. Can't see it being anything less then a flop.

Edge/Taker could be a great one. Don't think they'll ever have taker job at wm but they have released the dvd - undertaker 15-0. mmmmmmm

Triple threat could be good, I think Orton is over-rated and over-pushed as is Cena. HHH to win it again.

Overall looks a fairly solid card. Amazing how worthless the tag team, us and ic belts have become all the same eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Umaga v Batista
    Mayweather vs. Big Show. Its interesting, neither man can credibly lose. How would Big Show look if he got his ass kicked and he would look worse if just gets caught by Mayweather and goes down. Mayweather will not lose his undefeated record in a "fake" sport. Though the horrible build has made it impossible to get into.

This match is just a repeat of Bam Bam / LT back in ’95, so I’d expect the match to go the same way it did that night and have the wrestler lose. As far as Big Show losing face as a result, he's had his a$$ handed to him on several occasions by a number of wrestlers - Austin, Rock, HHH, Lesnar, Taker and of course the DX / McMahon's head up his behind incident. Although he's obviously very believable as a monster / squash merchant, WWE have toyed with his credibility for years so I don't see WM being any exception. Mayweather may be the smallest opponent he’s ever faced and is obviously not as credible in the WWE world as the names I’ve mentioned but he’s also being billed as the best pound for pound fighter in the world with a punch that can take out even the Big Show, so there’s no real shame there for Show, no more shameful than the DX thing or the Undertaker hog whipping him with a bike chain back in his American bad ass days or even Eddie covering him in sh*t. He’ll lose, then appear on Raw or Smackdown, batter someone in an act of revenge and be right back to the status he currently holds.

As for my fav match of the card, I’m exited about the whole Flair thing, but just for the fact that he will retire by losing to HBK (I really can’t see it going any other way and announcing it on Raw the next night would be such an anti-climax), the match itself will not be all that great though.

I’m also really looking forward to the world title match, basically because I’ve been a fan of Edge since he fist debuted in WWE ten years ago (Decade of Awesomeness) and finally seeing him in the main event of ‘mania nearly brings a tear to my eye (Even though he is not going to win, Undertaker will take that streak to his grave).

If I had to pick a favourite, the MITB match has a great line up – the four most promising stars of tomorrow – MVP, Punk, Mr. K and Morrison, plus of course Y2J.
    I’d be happy with any of them winning it, but will most likely be Jericho I would say (Even though he doesn’t need a briefcase to get a title match, but he must have gotten some deal sweetener to come back so maybe this is it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

The diva thing
    Has to be Flair/HBK

Advertisement