Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness level after lay off

• 26-03-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Not sure if this should be in fitness but anyway. I started running about 3 months age and built it up to covering 5000m in about 30 mins. About 3 weeks ago I had a re-lapse of an old back injury, went to physio and he treated me as usual, i took a break from my daily run. Thing is, after 2 weeks not running (walking most days though) im back at it. I didnt expect to be able to do 5k straight away but after a week im still where i was in early Janurary.
    Is it unusual to take this long to get back to where I was, seems to be a big drop in fitness in a 2 week period.
    Hope this made sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Caobhin,

Dont worry you havent lost the fitness. You do lose some strenght and a little fitness in a 2 week layoff. Dont try and come back to 100% straight away. I would advise next week do 2/3 of the volume of your last good week (before back pain). Cut a run or two short and/or a days extra rest. If it feels right go back to 100% the week after or else do a week at 3/4 volume first. Be patient the fitness is there. Back injuries arent uncommon with people starting running so take your time.
    If you can run for 5k at 30 mins (pretty good) you might want to start varying the lenght of runs you do a month or two down the line. Make a run at the weekend a bit longer and slower and make one of your week day runs a bit faster. More fun! If you enjoy running maybe check out a local running club or meet and train for like minded people and company for the runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thanks,
    That sounds good. I was going to try vary the route to include a few hills. I have been doing some sprints during my runs too. Have found out that warming DOWN is as important as warming up.
    I know..duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Don't forget to stretch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

If you have been training for 10-15 years or even for a full year a two week break will very likely not affect your condition but seeing its only 3 months you have less "hay in the shed" to work off and is probably why you are not getting back to where you were as quickly as hoped. As already mentioned build it up slowly and soon you will be back up to speed.

Injury recovery or layoffs affect all people differently, some people hit PB's after returning from an enforced layoff, others lose sharpness after a layoff.

Advertisement