Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark circles under eyes

Options
  • 26-03-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

First what I am not looking for!

An eyelid or area anti wrinkle cream
    An undereye bag/puffiness cream

Now I don't think such a product exists but...

What I am searching for is some positive feedback on a good undereye cream for dark circles only( willing to spend $$$ if it works).

Most creams seem to be for both conditions, ( puffiness and dark circles) or anti-ageing. I don't know about the effectiveness of anti-puffiness ( a cold cloth or eyemask would probably fix that) but my dark circles persist.

Please no advice on sleep or diet.

Thanks Gals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

dont know if there is any product, but anit-puffiness and dark circles seems to be your best bet! why dont you go to like somewhere like brown thomas or even boots and get a consultation there, they usually are free and they will recommend a product which would best suit you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 londonlady

well now ,ive always had dark circles and sometimes it is just genectic .but i find drinking plenty of water to flush out toxins helpful,buuuuut avon do a cream [anew eye lift that is for this purpose good thing with avon if you are not happy with a product they refund so what have you got to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Cucumber slices? Or failing that, touche eclait by lancome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

There's always a good concealer if nothing else works?

I have tranlucent skin, so I can get bad dark circles.
    I find excerise, really helps because it boosts your circulation.

Tesco have an eye balm with light reflecting particles. To take the bad appearance off them.
    I don't think it is anti ageing, but something similar might be a good alternative to concealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

OP, I have very sensitive eyes and am prone to occasional dark circles also. I find Clarins Skin Smoothing Eye Mask a real treat, it really rejuvenates the sensitive skin around the eye area and eradicates dark circles as well as a number of other things. A cheaper alternative that also works is applying cold tea bags for 10/15 mins. Good luck :)

PS: Windsock, Touche Eclat is actually by YvesSaintLaurent, just in case the OP has difficulty locating it. Lancome do a similar product called Flash Retouche and is much better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

WindSock wrote: »
    Cucumber slices? Or failing that, touche eclait by Yves Saint Laurent[/PHP][/PHP].

fixed that for ya ;)

i ougta know - I have really bad circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP

I have dark circles because I have pale skin and any discoloration shows through very strongly. I find the best thing to brighten up my eyes is gentle, local eye massage.

As you're putting your moisturiser on (and assuming you apply moisturiser and rub it in gently using your fingertips, as opposed to swiping it across your face as though you're trying to rub your face out), apply a little in dots along the line of your lower eye socket and your brow.

Use the tips of your third finger on each hand (to ensure you stay gentle), rub the moisturiser in circular movements until it starts to soak into the skin. Next place all four fingertips against your lower eyesocket line. Keeping them in place, make gentle circular motions, so you're actually moving the skin in tiny circles as opposed to just moving your fingers over the skin. (I can't stress how gentle you should be doing this.)

Make the tiny circles for about 20 seconds, then move your fingers over a touch and do it again. When you've covered your lower sockets, do your brow line. I find if you're tired, or puffy, this massage helps get your circulation going and relaxes tension in your face. If I'm very stressed I'll also spend a couple of minutes massaging my forehead in a similar way.

It takes the tension out of your face, relaxes your skin, gets your circulation going and helps improve your colour generally (or at least it does for me on mornings where I wake up with the complexion of a dead fish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah so, it is :). I don't usually buy the stuff, I've used it before and it seems good.

It looks like this ...

toucheeclat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

WindSock wrote: »
    Ah so, it is :). I don't usually buy the stuff, I've used it before and it seems good.

It looks like this ...

toucheeclat.gif

It's brill!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

OP find a cream with vitamin K in it, it works on dark circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

ysl is brill, totally love the stuff, my friend just bought me the stuff and its a miracle worker totally buy some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

That is fantastic ... i went into a pharmacy a while back with the same prob ... they suggested that YSL stick pen ... it is fantastic she did one eye and let me compare them in a mirror i couldnt believe how awake i looked!

PS : Drink heaps of water the difference is also huge over two or three weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I also rock the dark circles, usually for the full week of my period, and sometimes when migraines occur.
    I think there is very little to actually get rid of them, and have been through a load of concealers to hide them. YSL Touche Eclat was good but not good enough for me. I find Benefit Boi-ing the best solution, but be really careful to match it to your skin tone. It completely covers the circles, and is great on its own. I also get little red cracks at the side of my eyes at the same time, so I end up looking like a panda before I even start the day, so I think this Lemon Aid eyelid corrector is great too. You can get them all in a set, or buy them separately.

Me likey benefit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks everyone. I should have said no concealer advice too though. I guess no such miracle product exists. I'm going to try Clarins Skin Smoothing Eye Mask though ( thanks for that) and look for products with vitamin K.

Thanks for the massage advice too. I do this already and agree that it's of benefit.

Have tries every concealer including touche eclat and can highly recommend Revlon Colorstay Under eye concealer

Cheaper than the rest but very hard to get. ( Sold out most of the time)

Don't give up Grawns.....I reckon most people here are under 30 and not really using anti ageing eye creams.
    Take a trip into bts and ask the counter girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

The best cream I have found is origins night-a-mins eye cream. well worth a go and they have a stand in boots liffey valley.
    best concealer i have found is estee lauder disappear concealer. I have very dark deep set eyes and this does the trick. Even better, apply benefits wonderlift to the eye area before the concealer. the wonderlift tightens up your skin so the puffiness vanishes.

Im not a fan of touch eclat. Its too light reflective so if someone takes your picture when you are wearing it you end up with ultra bright racoon patches around your eyes in photos!:eek:

you are better off applying something light relective to your whole face I either apply eyco cream under my make up or I mix some revlon skin lights in with my foundation and then apply it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Clinique do very good eye creams depending on whether you want a preventative or something to tighten up the wrinkles and bagginess. I have the tightening-up one and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In my honest honest opinion I have tried loads of under eye creams that claim to banish dark circles from the cheapo ones to the expensive ones and my conclusion .....NONE of them work.The only way to get rid of circles is to cover them up with concealer,sad but true!

That's what I figured too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

I have always had dark circles regardless of sleep/hydration etc. - one of the "benefits" of being pale and interesting! It's only as I'm getting older that I'm beginning to be bothered by it.

Anyway, this might not be much use, but Channel 4's How to look good naked did a comparison of dark circle treatments - none of them scored very highly, but the results are here: http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/H/htlgn/under_eye_creams.html

If you do find something that works be sure to come back to tell us! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Welcome Grawns ;)
    Let us know how ya get on with the Clarins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

panda100 wrote: »
    In my honest honest opinion I have tried loads of under eye creams that claim to banish dark circles from the cheapo ones to the expensive ones and my conclusion .....NONE of them work.The only way to get rid of circles is to cover them up with concealer,sad but true!

I totally agree, have had circles all my life and just have to live with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Eyecon by benefit, reduces dark circles over time, their product boi-ing is also good to conceal them during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dark lines under the eyes are normally a symptom of liver/renal dysfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Thank you for that sweeping generalisation Dr DublinWriter. Would you normally post something so broad in other forums, or are you just playing cat amongst the pigeons with the ladies lounge, hoping there'll be shreiking and running and panic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I never put cream on the eye area. I was told to put the cream around the eye, ie over the brow and under the 'bag'(sorry). I was told that the eyearea will draw in the cream it needs.

I find the light reflecting foundations work best for me also when I am looking a bit drawn.:)

Having looked at pictures online I now realize that I don't really have dark circles ( not bad anyway). I saw a girl the other day and she looked like she'd been thumped. Am going to stick with the revlon concealer and treat myself to the Clarins eye treatmenbt and not worry about it anymore.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭heavyheart

eyecon from benefit ..lasts forever and it does work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

There is a new product in the Boots brochure - Soap & Glory under eye dark circle concealer... Dunno if it is any good. Its €13.50.

Advertisement