Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a kit car?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any info on bringing kit car to ireland? Can I get a normal irish plate on a car that I build myself? I know there is no problem with factory build ones but home built cars are given a q plate in uk but we have no equivalent plate here. Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you bring the invoice for the kit, and the car, to the VRO. They value it, add a value for the labour you put into building it - (40 hours, right ;) - and you pay VRT based on that, and you can have a nice shiney 08 number.

Insurance, though, isn't straightforward..........there is an Irish Kit Car club, somewhere, and insurance through them though is.........eur600 p.a.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on bringing kit car to ireland? Can I get a normal irish plate on a car that I build myself? I know there is no problem with factory build ones but home built cars are given a q plate in uk but we have no equivalent plate here. Any ideas

Link for irish kit car club site. they will be able to help.

http://www.ikcc.ie/newsite/index.asp

Have a mate who imported and built one a few years ago. It went pretty straight forward for him then in terms of VRT. You will get a normal reg number and all that.

Advertisement