Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering a repaired ceiling

Options
  • 26-03-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

Due to a leak from an upstairs bathroom (now rectified) I have had to replace a 2' x 4' plasterboard ceiling board. It is located in the corner of a 12' x 18' room.

The skim coat (painted) has been removed to just a little bit wider than the 2' x 4' panel and the remaining ceiling plaster is strongly adhered over the rest of the ceiling and is undamaged by the leak.

What I would like advice on is whether I should try to get a plasterer to reskim the replaced plasterboard and try to blend the fresh skim in with the existing undamaged ceiling plaster or consider getting the entire ceiling reskimmed ?

Also what kind of money would you estimate jobs like these should cost ?

Thanks in advance.
    BooShank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

BooShank wrote: »
    Hi All,

Due to a leak from an upstairs bathroom (now rectified) I have had to replace a 2' x 4' plasterboard ceiling board. It is located in the corner of a 12' x 18' room.

The skim coat (painted) has been removed to just a little bit wider than the 2' x 4' panel and the remaining ceiling plaster is strongly adhered over the rest of the ceiling and is undamaged by the leak.

What I would like advice on is whether I should try to get a plasterer to reskim the replaced plasterboard and try to blend the fresh skim in with the existing undamaged ceiling plaster or consider getting the entire ceiling reskimmed ?

Also what kind of money would you estimate jobs like these should cost ?

Thanks in advance.
    BooShank

any decent plasterer will be able to just skim the board and blend it in perfectly, the price will depend on the plasterer really and how busy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Thanks for the quick response Shakey.

Just so as I have a ballpark figure I presume I could use a daily rate of 350 EUR ish as a benchmark. (Read this somewhere recently online for a different kind of plastering job)

Regards
    BooShank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

where do you live boo?, are you in dublin, I know a guy who'll do it for you if your in Dublin, I use him a lot, he does a perfect job and even paints it up then, you'd never know it was damaged, and for €350 I reckon you'll have a little change.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

I'm afraid I'm not in the Dublin area Shakey, but thanks for the advice all the same.

BR
    BooShank

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I did the exact same job for a person only last week. It was little more difficult because the old ceiling was not plasterboard it was an old cment type mix , about 150 years old. Basicaly i refitted a double slab and used a scrim and jointing compound to fill the gap around the perimeter. I came back a few dayslatr and applied polybond pva around on about 1ft in on the old ceiling, let dry until it was tacky, and then reskimmed the slab and let he skim out about 1ft on the old ceiling, its a little bit of a pain theass because even tho its only a small area, you need (the plasterer) to stay with thejob and wait as it sets and keep trowelling it as it sets. The finish is a seamless finish and practiclly unnoticable after painting if the plasterer is worth his salt.

I charged her €150.. she gave me €200, i was doing her more of a favor hence the price, but anymore than €300 and its too expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement