Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing For the National Anthem(in the pub)

• 26-03-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭

Whats the point in standing up in the pub at the end of the night in the pub for the national anthem? Is there anybody out there with a logical answer?

I'm all for standing up for it at sporting events etc. showing a little respect and national pride is all well and good in the right circumstances, but who ever thought it was a good idea to get it going after a good ol knees up down the pub. I can't help but feel it serves the exact opposite purpose of what it's supposed to, it's just crap and embarrasing at this stage basically.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Can't say I've ever been out in a pub where this has happened. Does it really happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I usually slip off to the toilet to avoid it.

Thankfully only rubbish pubs will play it at the end of the night so it's rarely an issue.

Ghost Town by The Specials FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ghost Town by The Specials FTW!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah wtf everyone stands up and there isnt even a baseball game on. Pfft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That Father Ted ep - classic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

My teacher used to say you should stand up whenever you hear our national anthem, even if your at home on your own...He was serious. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

A rousing rendition of the anthem at Croker or Landsdowne (or watching it on the telly at Giants Stadium) can bring tears to your eyes. :)

Being glowered at by some drunken lout for not 'stannin up n showin a birra reshpect fur yeer country' at the end of the night is embarassing. I think I'll show my respect by not staggering around with puke on my brogues while our anthem is played at the end of the night. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

refuse to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Playing New York, New York at the end of the night is almost as tiresome.

And you're treated as some sort of social recluse if you don't get up and put your arms around everyone else's shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

javaboy wrote: »
    A rousing rendition of the anthem at Croker or Landsdowne (or watching it on the telly at Giants Stadium) can bring tears to your eyes. :)

Being glowered at by some drunken lout for not 'stannin up n showin a birra reshpect fur yeer country' at the end of the night is embarassing. I think I'll show my respect by not staggering around with puke on my brogues while our anthem is played at the end of the night. :mad:

Hear hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

refuse to do it

The odd time i do but sometimes it causes more hassle than its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I don't think that even the bands actually want everyone to stand up when they play it either. Some bands just use it as a polite way of saying ' feck off -no more requests- we're finished playing'.
    I don't find it annoying though. It can be funny when you have someone not from Ireland in your company who has no idea why everyone is standing up all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You should stand out of respect for your country whenever you hear your anthem. However, the pub is not an appropriate place for it to be played, nor is the cinema, nor the 65B when it gets to Blessington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Whats the point in standing up in the pub at the end of the night in the pub for the national anthem? Is there anybody out there with a logical answer?

I'm all for standing up for it at sporting events etc. showing a little respect and national pride is all well and good in the right circumstances, but who ever thought it was a good idea to get it going after a good ol knees up down the pub. I can't help but feel it serves the exact opposite purpose of what it's supposed to, it's just crap and embarrasing at this stage basically.

Oh Gawd...Independent thought alarm!

You must do what the masses are doing, be a sheep. Not to do so will only draw attention to ones self and one wouldnt like that would one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I've only heard it in a certain rather run-down pub in the Cabra area, followed by a hearty "Tiocfaidh Ar La" from all the undesirables scattered about the pub.
    Classy..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

What pub you go to :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Funny story, few years back the firm I was with had two young polskis working for them. We were all at the xmas party and at the end of the night the DJ turned up the lights and banged on Amhrán na bhFiann...now the two lads were well on it and had been, up 'til this point, going mental to Shakin' Stevens or whatever...they didn't know WTF was going on and were still insisting on dancing, cheering and making merry. Cue dirty looks and potential shape throwing from the older Irish male element on the dancefloor...my boss had to call them aside and tell them to STFU and they're all "Why? Why? it's christmas" still laughing away and dancing etc.
    Funny as hell....it wasn't till the anthem was over that they could understand what was going on...well comprehend. Who the hell understands why the need is felt to play the NA at the end of a feckin' disco? I bloody well can't....unless it's some sort of cunning sobriety test to see who's actually capable of standing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've only experienced it once. A couple of mates were over in Cork from England and they really wanted to go to a pub that played trad music. So we were gonna head to a crusty-ish place that has sean-nós singing and the like (e.g. An Spailpin Fánach or An Cruiscin Lán for those of you from Cork). But then one of the group spotted a poster advertising trad music that night in a particular chavvy, flash knacker pub (won't say the name) so we went there out of laziness and cos it was raining and in November (it was much nearer than the other places). Big mistake. The "repertoire" was more rebel song than trad and the band were even yelling "Ooh ah! Up the Ra!" etc. I felt so embarrassed and awkward that I couldn't even look at the English lads. And of course the other customers were just obnoxious scobes.
    Anyhoo, naturally the national anthem kicked in at the end. I was so appalled at the band there was absolutely no way I was gonna stand up (not that I would anyway, but this really took the biscuit). Oh the looks I got! And even from my mates (they were just worried about my safety). Couldn't bring myself to do it though. I thought it was utterly disgusting. I didn't get assaulted... but that's cos my mates grabbed me and we ran.

The one with no windows, you know it, don't make me say it, I fookin despised the kip (used to go out with a girl from Cabra.)

Was a fan of the Homestead though, lovely spot!

I've Doyles and the one opposite in my head. I know they're in Phibsborough but that's pretty near Cabra isn't it?

• Advertisement

Yes quite near, but this place is a little bit more "comanche country" than those..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If they insist on playing it, I will stand for it.

However, to my mind, playing it in such a setting is far more disrespectful than someone not standing. It just shouldn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I did the night before Paddies day. Got embarrassed to took a huge crap in the toilet to get away from it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i stand as a mark of respect. It shouldnt however be played in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I have to say, I think it's ridiculous the drunken fools in pubs at the end of a night, which has been subject to a ****ty dj who knows of nothing better to play.

I didn't stand for ages, as I found the concept of doing so to be a proper sham but have given in due to cranky friends insisting on such an action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Wertz wrote: »
    Funny story, few years back the firm I was with had two young polskis working for them........ my boss had to call them aside and tell them to STFU and they're all "Why? Why? it's christmas" still laughing away and dancing etc.

What dignified and loyal employees and how lucky are we to have such respectful immigrants :rolleyes:

P45 each and enjoy your flight home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd have no problem in standing up for it and I wouldn't feel weird about it either. It's just a gesture of respect.

IanCurtis wrote: »
    What dignified and loyal employees and how lucky are we to have such respectful immigrants :rolleyes:

I call irony.

If a person wants to stand for it, fine (although I object to it being played in pubs but if it is, so be it). However, there's no need for yobbish behaviour against those who choose not to stand for it.

How come the only pubs/clubs I can imagine it being played in are those frequented by knackers/muck savages/inbreds etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

JCDUB wrote: »
    I've only heard it in a certain rather run-down pub in the Cabra area, followed by a hearty "Tiocfaidh Ar La" from all the undesirables scattered about the pub.
    Classy..
    JCDUB wrote: »
    The one with no windows, you know it, don't make me say it, I fookin despised the kip (used to go out with a girl from Cabra.)

Was a fan of the Homestead though, lovely spot!

Wouldnt happen to have the area name and the word House in the name would it.

Jesus christ. Last March my mate was doing karate in Cabra until 3, meaning he wouldnt be back in Blanch in time for the Ireland v Wales Euro qualifier, so I says feck it, Ill fly down and we will head for a few scoops somewhere decent.

Anyway, he calls me at 2:55 and says he has been delayed for another hour, not wanting to miss the match I head for a pub, any pub, and unfortunately the only place I can find in the village is a large black former nuclear bomb shelter that has an alcohol licence and a tv.

Its actually quite nice inside decor wise, but when I saw the outside Im like "holy jesus, Im going in here on my own?!!?".

As for the anthem, Ive only ever heard it in country pubs. Im all for it at sporting events* (one of the reasons I cant get the national pride behind watching rugby) but in country pubs you just get locked nobs who think/wish they were in the ra.

*: except for the awul rendition some lad did at a Bernard Dunne fight some months back.

Aye, the lads of 1916 died for that alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In case you're not a troll;
    How were these two lads, in the country for 6 months, to know of our backward ways, espeially after a bath full of vodka each and who knows what else?
    I didn't take it as being disrespectful...it's just ignorance and drunkeness...something we Irish are very very good at when we inflict ourselves on other cultures. Had they ended up getting a dig or something over it I'd have been a lot more annoyed at the person doing the digging than the two lads, who at the end of it all were at a party in a foreign country.

You're also assuming they had a P45...the joys of the black economy are still alive and well in noughties Ireland, for those of you insulated in your cushy careers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I don't stand up, unless I'm standing already....but I stay quiet for the duration, and maybe if I'm watching a football match, I'll give a clap.

Wertz wrote: »
    In case you're not a troll;
    How were these two lads, in the country for 6 months, to know of our backward ways, espeially after a bath full of vodka each and who knows what else?
    I didn't take it as being disrespectful...it's just ignorance and drunkeness.....

Oh well that's ok then, for a minute there I thought they were immigrants looking for work in Ireland....I didn't realise they were just here to get pissed and ignore local traditions.

:rolleyes:

Ah so you are a troll. Fine. Carry on...

I really don't believe you're serious - you seem too intelligent.

So if you're just trying to piss people off (i.e. trolling) I'd suggest you stop.

Yes I'm a troll. My points are all invalid. Wertz (5,800 posts) is right. My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

And you're treated as some sort of social recluse if you don't get up and put your arms around everyone else's shoulders.

Social Recluse > Sweaty Moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes I'm a troll. My points are all invalid. Wertz (5,800 posts) is right. My apologies.

You are assuming ofc that two pished Polish guys even recognised the national anthem, especially given the appalling versions that tend to be blasted through the speakers in clubs when they insist on playing it.

My post count has nothing to do with it...your tone has.

You advocate sacking and deporting two youngsters for not knowing our national anthem whilst drunk and having a good time? Would you know the polish national anthem if you happened to be in Krakow and it came on in some local cathouse at 9am (ie. in an inapt place at an inapt time)? I know I wouldn't...and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone but the indigenous people to know local inbred customs...

I wouldn't have taken you for one of those generally thick-as-two-planks "be respectful to our national anthem especially if you're foreign" types, hence my view that you're just trying to wind people up, all the more compounded by the fact that Wertz explained in great detail the circumstances.

As for this assumed preference for those with a high number of posts, oh just give me a break. It's remarkably childish and paranoid to think that Boards is some sort of exclusive "club" where the more posts you have to your name, the more you'll be taken seriously. Admittedly you'll become more well known but then, that's nobody's fault.

The only other people I can think of who think those with high post counts somehow enjoy favouritism (:rolleyes:) are Peter Collins, one of the most annoying trolls ever, and that gobshyte who started a thread about Pighead recently which ended up in the Thunderdome. Presumably that was Peter Collins re-registering because he also had an obsession with Pighead.

Seriously, I've seen other posts by you. You're better than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As a DJ I at a private party in a Tipperary pub I was requested to repeat the National Anthem three times in succession by the bar manager because some customers were talking and would not stand to attention, they eventually got the hint!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've only ever seen it a dischos down the country, never in Dublin.

I'd stand at a sporting event, but I would go out of my way not to in a pub.

You'd deserve to get the livin shoite bait outta ya wit hurleys ya big queer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »
    You'd deserve to get the livin shoite bait outta ya wit hurleys ya big queer!

I'll take that h out of disco. Please spare me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I never stand for our National Anthem cos I think Maniac 2000 is a sh1te song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Archimedes wrote: »
    I never stand for our National Anthem cos I think Maniac 2000 is a sh1te song.
    Treason!

M-A-N-I-A-C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I've never heard the Irish National Anthem played at the end of the night in a pub/club in Dublin or "down the country"...I'll be listening out for it now. :cool:

No doubt it's a very Irish thing. There's an Irish pub in Kilburn where, apparently, if you don't stand for the national anthem, the bouncers/bar staff/management will take you out the back and kick the living sh1t out of you...

"All this drinking, violence, destruction of property... Are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"

I've never heard the Irish National Anthem played at the end of the night in a pub/club in Dublin or "down the country"...I'll be listening out for it now. :cool:

Fortunately it's a tradition that is in steep decline. Prior to club culture arriving in Ireland, early to mid 90's, it was almost assured that it'd be played at the end of the night in any nightclub/disco I ever went to/worked in.
    I think it harks back to the days of the showbands and sit down dinner dances....the trick being to make everyone stand when the fun's over so you can corral them towards the exit doors...
    "Are we right there folks PLEASE!" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Awww, I was looking forward to watching everyone stand (or sway) hands on hearts & yell-sing that way that only drunks can, lol. :D

You might get lucky and end up in pub/club in the shticks some night with the "right" DJ, where you can witness the horror of people "singing" what they think are the right words and only knowing the first 2 and last 2 lines (and sometimes in english! :mad: ) whilst they stand with their hands behind their backs...

• Advertisement
Advertisement