Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing For the National Anthem(in the pub)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wertz wrote: »
    You might get lucky and end up in pub/club in the shticks some night with the "right" DJ, where you can witness the horror of people "singing" what they think are the right words and only knowing the first 2 and last 2 lines (and sometimes in english! :mad: ) whilst they stand with their hands behind their backs...
    lol... so true. Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dudess wrote: »
    I've only experienced it once. A couple of mates were over in Cork from England and they really wanted to go to a pub that played trad music. So we were gonna head to a crusty-ish place that has sean-nós singing and the like (e.g. An Spailpin Fánach or An Cruiscin Lán for those of you from Cork). But then one of the group spotted a poster advertising trad music that night in a particular chavvy, flash knacker pub (won't say the name) so we went there out of laziness and cos it was raining and in November (it was much nearer than the other places). Big mistake. The "repertoire" was more rebel song than trad and the band were even yelling "Ooh ah! Up the Ra!" etc. I felt so embarrassed and awkward that I couldn't even look at the English lads. And of course the other customers were just obnoxious scobes.
    Anyhoo, naturally the national anthem kicked in at the end. I was so appalled at the band there was absolutely no way I was gonna stand up (not that I would anyway, but this really took the biscuit). Oh the looks I got! And even from my mates (they were just worried about my safety). Couldn't bring myself to do it though. I thought it was utterly disgusting. I didn't get assaulted... but that's cos my mates grabbed me and we ran.

Sounds like establishments on or just off Barrack St. to me

No, I said it's a flash pub. Would you honestly call those dives in the Barrack Street vicinity "flash"? ;) Plus, tough and all as I try to act, I probably would stand in one of those places - out of sheer fear! And I wouldn't bring English people to them... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    I never stand for our National Anthem cos I think Maniac 2000 is a sh1te song.

How DARE you!

I wonder how many people know more of the words of Maniac than they do of the national anthem! Quite a lot I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

No, I said it's a flash pub. Would you honestly call those dives in the Barrack Street vicinity "flash"? ;) Plus, tough and all as I try to act, I probably would stand in one of those places - out of sheer fear! And I wouldn't bring English people to them... :)

My bad, saw Spailpin & Cruiscin in your post and assumed it was that area. Barrack St. aint that bad anymore, lots of students in those pubs,however pubs on Tower st & Friars walk are a different kettle of fish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

As a DJ I at a private party in a Tipperary pub I was requested to repeat the National Anthem three times in succession by the bar manager because some customers were talking and would not stand to attention, they eventually got the hint!.

hahahahahahah

Was the bar manager wearing a celtic jersey by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KamiKazi wrote: »
    hahahahahahah

Was the bar manager wearing a celtic jersey by any chance?
    Didn't notice but if he was he was probably wearing a "sniper at work" T shirt under it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ive stood up for it but its only a drunk thing.a few of the "country pubs" in dublin do it.quinns in drumcondra and sometimes copper face jacks.have heard in country places a good bit.im usually attemptin to dance at the end of a night anyway so standing still can be difficult.

also last summer i was in san diego on part of a J1.on a wednesday all the irish students go down to tijuana in mexico for irish night to get hammered.the mexicans didnt realise it was the national anthem, they seemed to think it was just a popular irish song so it gets played about 5 times durin the night!! hearing it come on in mexico between some R&B songs with about 1000 other completely ****ed irish students is quite an experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Got attacked in a little village up in Co Down after not participating in the National Anthem at the end of the night in the pub. The thing about it was, we weren't even in the same part of the pub as where the music was being played. Didn't even recognise the anthem. Something about saving Queen. Didn't even sound like Freddie!

There was about 10 of us there, spent a fortune in the bar and the staff politely rounded up about 30 local scumbags to wait outside with bottles while they let us out 3 at a time.

I used to work in a hotel that had lots of weddings in it and the anthem was regularly played. Not sure whether it was by the request of the families or the DJ's own initiative. Some of the staff stopped work to stand for the anthem. Now i did find that a bit of a joke, considering it could be played 3 times a week evry week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I don't know the words to our national anthem.

Every class in my primary school were always taught it in 2nd class, but our second class teacher was from up north and didn't know it so 30 odd of us never learnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How DARE you!

I wonder how many people know more of the words of Maniac than they do of the national anthem! Quite a lot I'd say!

Yup thats me! Side to side like you just dont care. My mate does a mean version of that on acoustic guitar.

I was thrown out and barred from a pub for not standing to the national anthem. Now if Maniac 2000 was playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What pub barred you for not standing up for a national anthem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Xavi6 wrote: »

I do!

Maybe the IRFU could use it to solve all the anthem/Ireland's Call debates?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What pub barred you for not standing up for a national anthem?

I'm not too sure I can say on Boards.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hardCopy wrote: »
    I do!

That's a GENIUS idea

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

hardCopy wrote: »
    I do!

Brilliant! I think a petition is required.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Whats the point in standing up in the pub at the end of the night in the pub for the national anthem? Is there anybody out there with a logical answer?

I'm all for standing up for it at sporting events etc. showing a little respect and national pride is all well and good in the right circumstances, but who ever thought it was a good idea to get it going after a good ol knees up down the pub. I can't help but feel it serves the exact opposite purpose of what it's supposed to, it's just crap and embarrasing at this stage basically.

Ever translated the words? we need a new anthem.

I dont stand for it.
    I am not a solider. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    I'm not too sure I can say on Boards.:confused:

F*ckin' right you can...anywhere with that mentality deserves to loose business IMO. Barring for not standing up...lmao...name and shame the muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I stand but make a mockery of the hole thing by flaping my head about and singing complete waffle.

Wertz wrote: »
    F*ckin' right you can...anywhere with that mentality deserves to loose business IMO. Barring for not standing up...lmao...name and shame the muppets.

The Orphan Girl in Wexford. The owner kicked me out even though a load of girls at our table didn't stand either.

• Advertisement

Surely that has to be grounds for making a complaint against that pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't say I've ever been out in a pub where this has happened. Does it really happen?

Only in culchie pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyway, sod the bloody anthem, bring back slowsets at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

6 years ago when i started going out first they defenitely used to play it down the country it used to be my queue to lie down on my back in the middle of dance floor..recently i started questioning whether they play it or not anymore as i havent woken up the next morning with footprints on my back for a while! I don't think i've heard it up in dublin yet& been here 4 years. Bring back the national anthem at the end of the night i say!

Surely that has to be grounds for making a complaint against that pub.

It was 6 or so years ago, so I've let it go.

Only in culchie pubs.
    Rough pubs in urban areas too. The place I went to that played it on the "trad" (i.e. "Ra") night was in the centre of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yeah, don't think it has anything to do with the culchie vs. townie thing tbh.

More to do with the mindset of the owners / regular customers. The fact that someone mentioned it being played in a pub in Kilburn probably the best illustration of that so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

My father has played it at the end of a gig for over 30 years now but as someone else suggested, it's a way of letting everyone know that the show is over and to stop staggering up to the stage asking for the God-given right to sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

i do it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can't believe some places still play it. Hadn't seen it happen for years. Always refused to stand up for it. Resented the patriotism being shoved down your throat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

But then one of the group spotted a poster advertising trad music that night in a particular chavvy, flash knacker pub (won't say the name) so we went there out of laziness and cos it was raining and in November (it was much nearer than the other places).

Was it Waxy's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I always stand for the national anthem, regardless of the bad taste of where it's played, that doesn't change what it is or what it stands for.

Pubs generally don't play it unless it's a particular function for a special occasion...in which case any decent DJ will ask the crowd to "please stand for the national anthem"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They used to play it when I was at the dishcos though never heard it in pubs and I lived in the middle o' nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't stand up for it. I refuse to believe that our piece of dirt is better than anybody else's piece of dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Don't know if I've ever heard it played in a pub/nightclub... But thats probably ebcause by around the time something like it would be played, I'd be far to drunk to remember it. D:

But in sobriety, I don't think I would stand in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It was played at the end of the night in the Roundabout pub in Artane on Friday anyway...

Thanks to this thread I couldn't get Maniac 2000 out of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Is it really that much of an effort to stand for the minute it takes to sing the verse. Or maybe people just don't know the words. Some other countries play it everyday before school, before films at cinema's, at certain times of the day on public speakers and various other events we never hear it at over here. So whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Is it really that much of an effort to stand for the minute it takes to sing the verse. Or maybe people just don't know the words. Some other countries play it everyday before school, before films at cinema's, at certain times of the day on public speakers and various other events we never hear it at over here. So whats the problem?

It's not the effort that stops me standing. It's the inappropriateness of playing the anthem at all while everyone is pished at the end of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

javaboy wrote: »
    It's not the effort that stops me standing. It's the inappropriateness of playing the anthem at all while everyone is pished at the end of the night.
    Kinda sums it up, especially when you consider that most people will be "wobbling up"

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    Kinda sums it up, especially when you consider that most people will be "wobbling up"

Does that change the fact that it is still the national anthem and does it deserve differing levels of respect depending on the venue/time of day/colour of my shoes/direction of the wind:rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    Does that change the fact that it is still the national anthem and does it deserve differing levels of respect depending on the venue/time of day/colour of my shoes/direction of the wind:rolleyes:

The anthem gets the same amount of respect from me no matter when or where it is played.

If it is played at a sporting event, special occasion/assembly I will stand to show my respect for it.
    If it is played to a crowd of rowdy drunks in a dingy pub who are slurring the words if they even know them, I will sit to show my respect for the anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Well im from "down the country" and i always stand for national anthem, no matter where and when. think its just a sign of respect, even if its a crap version and not half as good as the artane boys band.....

orlyice wrote: »
    Well im from "down the country" and i always stand for national anthem, no matter where and when. think its just a sign of respect, even if its a crap version and not half as good as the artane boys band.....

Just for the record, I think the end of the night in a manky pub is the only time I won't stand for it.*

I don't care how badly it is sung. I've stood for it sung by kids who were only showing off that they had learned the chorus in school and I've stood for it when played by the worst of the worst band.

*Tacky use of the anthem as a ringtone is the only other occasion I won't stand for the anthem. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I find this tradition very disrepectful. Another kick in the teeth for those in wheelchairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

maoleary wrote: »
    I don't stand up for it. I refuse to believe that our piece of dirt is better than anybody else's piece of dirt.
    :rolleyes:Other pieces of dirt have their own anthem and most are very proud of it.

• Advertisement

maoleary wrote: »

Why, people pay more for the equivalen acerage of dirt than in most European countries:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Depends on where you are really, if you live outside of the bigger towns it happens quiet a lot. I stand up for it, I'm proud enough of my country when I have a few beers in ;) but wouldn't look down on anyone who choose not to.

in which case any decent DJ will ask the crowd to "please stand for the national anthem"
    That to me is the definition of a DJ that's anything but "decent".
    Some other countries play it everyday before school, before films at cinema's, at certain times of the day on public speakers and various other events we never hear it at over here. So whats the problem?
    Some other countries like... North Korea, Zimbabwe, China...
    holly1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Other pieces of dirt have their own anthem and most are very proud of it.
    I'll tell you why some of us have a problem with the national anthem being played in the pub: we're not patriotic or nationalistic, considering we were just born here, we could have just as easily been born in France or Senegal. We don't see the point in patriotism and we certainly don't appreciate it being forced on us. If you're patriotic, fine. But please don't impose your ideals on others. Just as you have the right to have your leanings respected, those of us who aren't patriotic also have the right to have our leanings respected. That's democracy - something about this country which you're no doubt proud of.
    And it always makes me laugh the way the knuckleheads who'd give you a black eye for not standing haven't the faintest notion about Irish history or barely two words of Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I love the notion of being made to stand for an athemn that represents freedom of expression and self-determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i was caught up in the midle of a serious row between my ex and my best friend a fw years back over this.

After a night in a pub, the band played the national anthem and we all stud up except my gf because she pesonally thinks its disrespectful to play the anthem (poorly) in a pub full of drunks, and she wouldnt stand. I personally respect her opinion and can see her reason, but i could care less.. so i stand.

My mate however got into a rant about 1916, and her disrespect for the 1000's that died for our freedom... and felt her opinion was bollox. Mind you this guy thinks every womans opinion is bollox, hence his only relationships are with the goodlooking but dim or the emotionally troubled.

Anyhow, for me.. i honestly dont care either way. i think therer are more pressing issues in life than this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement