Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing For the National Anthem(in the pub)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Dudess wrote: »
    Some other countries like... North Korea, Zimbabwe, China...

Try the United States, Jamaica, India, Guatemala, Mexico, Greece, Italy, Japan, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Thailand, Tunisia, Philippines. And that is just off the top of my head where i have personally heard their respective national anthems 10 times more than i ever have heard the Irish one in Ireland. They sing it at the beginning of the day in schools, in cinemas, start and end of day of radio and television stations, there are ceremonies to raise and lower their flag and a few other customs. Obviously not all listed countries do everything. But their anthems are a more prominent feature in daily life than here and they take great pride in it no matter how ridiculous a place it is sung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Dudess wrote: »
    we're not patriotic or nationalistic, considering we were just born here, we could have just as easily been born in France or Senegal. We don't see the point in patriotism and we certainly don't appreciate it being forced on us.

Tell that to each and Every person in the US of schoolgoing age that must pledge alegiance to the flag evrey morning:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They'd probably physically assault me because of how they've been trained to be so fanatically patriotic. Doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

For the first time in about 15 years they played the National Athem in some club in Lehinch!!They also played AC/DC Its like i step in to a time warp!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sangre wrote: »
    'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.'

I disagree.

Its a love for, or devotion to one's country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think patriotism beyond sports is for monkeys.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

javaboy wrote: »
    The anthem gets the same amount of respect from me no matter when or where it is played.

Why is it so worthy of respect? It's just a song.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Tell that to each and Every person in the US of schoolgoing age that must pledge alegiance to the flag evrey morning:cool:

That's freedom for you alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

el tonto wrote: »
    Why is it so worthy of respect? It's just a song.

It's just personal preference. I respect it as a symbol of my country in the same why I respect the flag. That's freedom for you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but a DJ in a respectable hotel where I work plays the anthem at the end of the night, most of the clientelle are of the old generation tho, but still completely cheesy/tacky.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I was giving out about this on here about a week or two ago.

It's completely idiotic. You get it a lot in GAA/Culchie pubs like The Big Tree.

I make a point of sitting down and belching the lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'll stand for it out of respect if it is being played respectively (ie, some old man's pub in the middle of nowhere, where it's more a tradition than anything). But if there's any knack or Ra element, I'll gladly have people stare at me (or at my superior intellect, class and independence;)) while I sit there drinking and chatting away (and maybe hymn God Saves the Queen to myself to see what kind of reaction I get).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I refuse to stand if it's played at the end of the night in a pub. It's completely disrespectful to play it, in a place full of drunken eejits. Especially since you can be guaranteed at least 60% of those eejits will either make up their own words or just shout the tune.

At least if it's in Croker and they don't know the words, they can just read the words off the screen :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

there are ceremonies to raise and lower their flag

Have a peek in any occupied barracks in the country, you'll see what you'd call "A ceremony" for raising and lowering the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Advertisement