Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dose a lightweight frameset have a shelf life?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old retro Carlton Pro Reynolds 531 butted frameset hanging up in a damp shed for the last 25 years, not much surface rust on it as it was chrome plated, would it be safe to rebuild this and use it again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

of course, provided no cracks etc around the lugs/welds.

sure some cars are flying about with 40 year old metal;)

actually just so i dont leave myself open here, once its not aluminium its good, aluminium breaks down after a while, thats why alot of bikes come with 15 years guarantee for steel/cro-mo and only 5 for most aluminium.
    afaik kona offer a 10 year on aluminium, longest ive ever seen on aluminium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kona wrote: »
    of course, provided no cracks etc around the lugs/welds.

sure some cars are flying about with 40 year old metal;)
    At least most vintage cars have a tough Chassis, the metal in this frame is paper thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

At least most vintage cars have a tough Chassis, the metal in this frame is paper thin.

The joints should be double butted though.

My experience is that frames don't usually snap, the joints just kind of peel apart slowly, so you should be fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

you will be suprised how thin metal is on classics especially british cars also how crap it is:D:D

reynolds is good tubing, obviously i cant tell you 100% without pics or seeing it, but generally it will be fine, steel is still strong when thin.
    unless there is holes the forces on a road bike wont snap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I have an old retro Carlton Pro Reynolds 531 butted frameset hanging up in a damp shed for the last 25 years, not much surface rust on it as it was chrome plated, would it be safe to rebuild this and use it again?

The reynolds 531 frames are very good and there is a good few of them still about these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

kona wrote: »
    afaik kona offer a 10 year on aluminium, longest ive ever seen on aluminium

My 2003 Specialized Epic has a lifetime warranty on the frame and its alu. The warranty is limited to "manufacturing defects" AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That bike'll be great to ride. 531 frames are really great. Light enough, very tough and a very comfy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yep 531 will have no probs as long as its structurally intact. Its a steel frame so it can take an awful lot of beating and bending before it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

My 2003 Specialized Epic has a lifetime warranty on the frame and its alu. The warranty is limited to "manufacturing defects" AFAIK.

I was about to say the same, my '97 Stumpjumper has a lifetime warranty and is still going strong - a lovely bike to ride.

M

Advertisement