Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Class C1 & D1 licence

Options
  • 26-03-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi

If you were looking to get a Class C1 & D1 licence, what do you need to do

I have been driving bikes and cars for years.
    1..would I need to attend a special course for the C1 + D1 classes
    2..what sort of cost is involved
    3..Is the waiting list as long as doing a B class driving test

it would be great to hear from anyone who is doing it, or has done it
    Thanks again
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

you need to pass the car test, then just do your lessons for the c1/d1 licence. sorry no idea about price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

wex96 wrote: »
    you need to pass the car test, then just do your lessons for the c1/d1 licence. sorry no idea about price.:)

Thanks wex96

Never made it completely clear
    I did test a long time ago, when I had most of my hair:rolleyes:

So at present have full A, B & EB Licence
    But not sure on procedure to get C1 & D1
    I will give a local Driving center a bell tomorrow for price..thanks again

Dan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You need to be 21 have a Full B Licence and have to sit a theory test to get your provisional C1, D1 and then get lessons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You need to be 21 have a Full B Licence and have to sit a theory test to get your provisional C1, D1 and then get lessons..
    Wrong... its 18 for a c and 21 for a d
    There is no real point of going to the trouble of doing either of these licences, for instance, very few places have the vehicles available to do the lessons in. Just do the c and d licence.
    I did my c and ec tests a few years ago if you have some experience of driving alarger vehicle its not too dear, but afaik its about 120 a lesson in sligo for 2 hours. ok if you have some clue but if your starting from scratch it could work out very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to learning to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slideways wrote: »
    Wrong... its 18 for a c and 21 for a d
    There is no real point of going to the trouble of doing either of these licences, for instance, very few places have the vehicles available to do the lessons in. Just do the c and d licence.
    I did my c and ec tests a few years ago if you have some experience of driving alarger vehicle its not too dear, but afaik its about 120 a lesson in sligo for 2 hours. ok if you have some clue but if your starting from scratch it could work out very expensive

+1, don't bother with the C1 and D1, go straight for the C and D.

You'll need to do a seperate theory tests for each learner permit.

I did the C and EC a few years ago and it was €90 for 2 hour lessons in Dublin.
    The current test price is €76

The waiting time when I did the test for C and EC was ~6weeks, in Rathgar (C) and Finglas(EC). No idea on D but I'd assume it was/is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd agree with the others - C1 and D1 are a waste of time, money and energy when one can go straight to the C and D from a category B licence.
    its 18 for a c and 21 for a d
    Wise words indeed!

(But as the OP has stated that he passed the car test many years ago, we can safely assume that age won't be a problem! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

(But as the OP has stated that he passed the car test many years ago, we can safely assume that age won't be a problem! ;))

You're right I'm afraid, age is the least of my problems, its my knee's....my back my kids......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I'm doing my D1 licence at the minute, I am doing my D1 as I only want to drive a minibus up to 16 seats not any bigger.

The Theory test is for a D licence (€35.60), it suffices for both D & D1.

I am taking lessons in Mullingar from 'Hynes' in a minibus, they are 1.5 hour lessons and they cost €65.00 ( I dont live in Westmeath, its about an hours drive for me)

I have applied for my test and I will be doing be doing it in Mullingar. The test cost €63.00

I believe the waiting list is approximatematly 7 to 9 weeks for the test centre I picked but I can't guarantee it.

I am doing a whole load of other transport training along with my D1 Licence as I want to work with passengers who have mobility needs

Shifty wrote: »
    I only want to drive a minibus up to 16 seats not any bigger
    You never know about the future though. For example if you needed to drive 17 passengers you wouldn't be legally able to do so. The category D kills two birds with the one stone! ;)

PS - Good luck with your lessons and test. :)

• Advertisement

Fair point but the work I am targeting is all based around 16 seater max vehicle. The extra training I am doing is based around mini bus driving.

Even those with a D licence could find themselves in a vehicle that an extra passenger above their legal entitlement wants to travel with them.

I think if you are unsure which licence you want then go for the D but if like me & you know you only want to drive a minibus then go for the D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Even those with a D licence could find themselves in a vehicle that an extra passenger above their legal entitlement wants to travel with them.
    How? A d licence allows you to drive a coach, it doesn't get any bigger...

Even those with a D licence could find themselves in a vehicle that an extra passenger above their legal entitlement wants to travel with them
    :confused: There is no upper limit with a D licence and as can be seen fron the pic below it is perfectly legal to carry 143 passengers with it.

BusCapacitySign.jpg

Might not have put it so clearly, I was referring to the vehicle not the licence.

Advertisement