Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Project 4 leaving cert due date???HELP

Options
  • 26-03-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

im getting worried because my art teacher hasnt even given our art class our titles for the project and i heard from someone the other day(who did art in the laeving a few years ago) that she had hers nearly done at this stage!!! :eek:
    has every1 whose doin art started their leaving cert project? if yes, are the titles the same for every school? and when did you start?? thanks for your help:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Relax, first off.

You'll get your topics in short order if i recall correctly (which to be fair I might not)

You will have plenty of time for preparation work. All to 90% of the work you submit will be done on the day. About the only thing you'll be walking in with is a prep sheet and maybe a font stencil youve made yourself (for the poster) The vast majority of the material is made on the day.

Just keep asking them about it: quit sitting around waiting for them to mention it because it will leave you stressed out if you dont ask.

And of course the topics are identical across the country. Chillax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bubblegum123

thanks for the help...i would have asked my teacher,but im on easter holidays so couldnt ask anyone..thanks though:)

no problem. bets are youll get them sometime next week. they love springing students back into action after a holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The art exam is the start of May (mine's the 8th and 9th), you get the exam paper the week before so expect it the end of April. During that week you can do prepwork which you'll bring in.

It's not a project like the JC because most of it's done on the day.
    It's not "titles" per se either, for the lifedrawing you'll be given an explanation of the pose(s) (not too sure on this one), for the craft work you'll be given briefs for the different options (these will contain titles, if you're doing a poster or whatever), and for the imaginative composition/still life/abstract you're given a piece of writing/poetry (might be more than one, I'm not sure), from which you have to devise your work.

For example the theme/title i received (iirc) was "Olympics 2028". Or some such. Either way I did an alien athlete for it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

we did a full mock art exam for the pres. was fair hard, you dont realise how little time you have. All paperwork is given a week before. All schools get the same papers. For the composition one you get 6 different paragraphs/poems. You need to do a preparatory sheet during that week about your craft. This is so pointless as its not marked but your not allowed do the exam without it. Hope that helps!

The craft i picked was batik and our themes were:
    1. View across the fields.
    2. Easter Island Heads.
    3. A crowded street

I also had puppetery as an option and the themes here were:
    1. Crocodile
    2. A cavalier/roundhead
    3. The spectre at the feast.

Prepwork is worth 0 marks, however it still influence's the examiner. It shows the evolution of your idea from start to finish. Its actually a big help that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

ooh crap. The start of May....
    We did a full art mock practical and dear god it is the most draining thing in the world.
    The thing with the poster is : the sheet you take into the exam with you has 0 marks but thats a bit of a lie..
    If this sheet isnt well thought out and laid out then the sheet which follows will make no sense! And if that sheet makes no sense then thats a huge chunk of marks lost between the final 2 sheets (about 50) which go for develpoment. it's pretty stupid..
    Plus, 5 hours is nuts.

Nuts how? I feel I could have used more time to be honest. 5 hours is very suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

A bit off topic but reading this thread made me think that Leaving Cert Art projects should be uploaded to a government site somewhere so the public can view it.

Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

:\
    it's not a project
    it's a practical

and everyone gets the information a week before hand

We get them on the 29th and 30th of April craftwork and design(lino cut posters etc) first and then the imaginative composition and then we do it on the 7th and 8th of May

And when i say we i use it as a collective of all leaving cert art students!
    If you don't believe me go to examinations.ie and look at the practical timetable

No need to panic like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A bit off topic but reading this thread made me think that Leaving Cert Art projects should be uploaded to a government site somewhere so the public can view it.

Just a thought
    Surely that would be the same as uploading people's exam scripts to be viewed... not very fair.

If you mean the paper itself.. well I don't have art papers, but I'd guess you can get past papers for the practicals.

5 hours is great, I think. You get an hour break in the middle, so it's not non-stop, and you shouldn't be too rushed for time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

we did a full mock art exam for the pres. was fair hard, you dont realise how little time you have. All paperwork is given a week before. All schools get the same papers. For the composition one you get 6 different paragraphs/poems. You need to do a preparatory sheet during that week about your craft. This is so pointless as its not marked but your not allowed do the exam without it. Hope that helps!

The craft i picked was batik and our themes were:
    1. View across the fields.
    2. Easter Island Heads.
    3. A crowded street

I also had puppetery as an option and the themes here were:
    1. Crocodile
    2. A cavalier/roundhead
    3. The spectre at the feast.

Eh, were you planning on doing the whole thing from your head? The prep sheet is there so you can have something to reference when you're drawing. It's instead of just bringing in twenty books/photos/whatever.

Overheal wrote: »
    Nuts how? I feel I could have used more time to be honest. 5 hours is very suitable.

Time wasn't the problem, it was just so exhausting.
    5 hours is suitable enough i suppose... but so so long.
    I dunno about you but i think the still life exam is WAY too long. You get 2.5hrs but i was done with an hour to spare. Is that bad?
    got a B in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

daggy wrote: »
    I dunno about you but i think the still life exam is WAY too long. You get 2.5hrs but i was done with an hour to spare. Is that bad?
    got a B in it .

It always took me forever to do still lifes... But I tend to be slow doing art in general... I ended up doing Imaginative Comp for my LC, I didn't get it finished on the day, mostly though. I think I got like 80 or something (So even if you don't finish you can get a pretty good mark).

daggy wrote: »
    got a B in it .

Maybe you were just champ then :D I got a B2 both times I sat it (*gloat!) but I always used all the time I had. I recall the first time I really didnt like the poster I had but I did a very good written exam. And vice versa the 2nd time around.

I dunno Im of the opinion you should try and make a poster that is completable within 5 hours but that has a design that leaves you room for improvements: because if you have time left over you can use those openings to your advantage. So yes it should really only take about 3.5 - 4 hours to complete the bulk of your project, leaving time for improvements and such.

champ... ?

hmmm, well art is so subjective. I would really love to get inside an examiner's head and see how the hell they mark it. STILL waiting on Art history and did the mocks over a month ago. Apart from all of this,art is a lovely subject. :)

Advertisement