Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ebay Motor Scam...

Options
  • 26-03-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi just thought l'd let people know about the ebay motor scam, i was all set to buy a 2nd hand audi A4, but i knew that this deal was too good to be true,so i did a bit of research and found out it is a scam.Below is an email i received recently when inquiring about a car.

Hi,

The 2005 Audi A4 2.0 TDi S Line is still for sale. A great car, never implied in any accident, in excellent condition with full service history. My job put me on the way to England and I purchased this car there. Now I have to sell it as I've got back home in Switzerland. The car is here as well. The final price is £6,500 + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still UK registered did not help either.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition.

Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator. All documents, including V5 log book on your name will be provided along with the car.

Please email me soon if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

"Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator. "

Wallet Inspector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Wallet Inspector :D

Anyone who's shopped for cars will have seen something similar to this...

Out of interest, did you do a hpi check on the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dyson77

HPI is no good cause these cars are actually located in the UK,these people steal the car's identity as such, so when you do a check these cars come back clean because the actually owner is trying to sell the car usually on a different site or on autotrader. All they do is copy and paste the photographs of the car.... and hey presto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I got one of these emails after enquiring after a car on autotrader lately.

Some of them stand out a mile when they ask you to email a given address, because their "cell phone" is lost or broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is a known one, OP, but it's always worth stating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I got these emails too. Was offered a VW polo SDI twist for £2000. I strung 'her' along a bit and sent an email calling her everything under the sun. How do you report these clowns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pontovic wrote: »
    I got these emails too. Was offered a VW polo SDI twist for £2000. I strung 'her' along a bit and sent an email calling her everything under the sun. How do you report these clowns ?

I don't think there is any way to report them, but if you play them you can have fun*

*But don't use any of your correct details.

You must be a mind reader cause thats exactly what i'm doin at the moment,told him that i had transfered the money into the third party account, he's going to get a shock...!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I never believe in 'Scam-bay':eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

confuzed wrote: »
    I never believe in 'Scam-bay':eek:

I bough ta car on eBay, 1 yr and 20k miles later it's still going well

Do your research or prepare to be conned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A great car, never implied in any accident,

Did someone imply otherwise?

i also bought a car off ebay 4months ago,i got a great deal on my car but i was really lucky cause i was dealing with a car leasing company,i wouldn't discourage anyone from using ebay motors because they are just as good as autotrader, but you have to be prepared to do your research and never hand over money even if they ask for a deposit to secure the car, if possible....! when i was buying my car i had to get a bankers draft,so when i was in the bank i phoned the company in the U.K and they asked the cashier to confirm that i had the funds in my account, that way it was safe for all parties involved.

Advertisement