Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before Varnishing Pine

Options
  • 26-03-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I "think" I remember a tv programme saying that you should rub pine with a damp cloth to bring out the grain, before applying varnish.

Has anyone any experience of this or was I dreaming?

Regards,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 turnertina

Hi D,
    I think you are talking about a procedure that would be done before applying a wax or limed wax to highlight the grain.
    When I varnish pine I rub it down through grades of sandpaper to a grit of about 200. Then I apply a coat of sand and sealer, when that is dry I use steel wool 0000 grade, rubbing over the wood lightly in the direction of the grain. Then I apply minimum 2 coats of varnish, again rubbing with the steel wool between coats ensuring they are dry first! I hope this helps
    Jac

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you Jac.

I'll do just that over the next couple of weekends and let you know how I get on.

Take care.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: Felllas, I think the damp cloth is a reference to the traditional method of raising the grain and then sanding it ( when dry ) . It certainly works but gets very tedious if you have a large area to sand.
    You have to wait for the wood to be bone dry before applying any varnish ( unless using a water based varnish ) .
    In practice, with good power sanders most people don't bother, unless you are building a family heirloom !.

Advertisement