Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the recommended procedure for selling my car privately?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have my car for sale on carzone, a few enquiries but no viewings so far.

I'm looking for a bit of advice from those who've sold privately in the past, on everything from the test drive to what is the safest method of payment to avoid any trouble.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi,

sold my own privately on carzone a few weeks ago. first thing of course is to have the car in the best shape possible, keep it spotless inside and outside, try to have documented evidence of any services you have done.

also if your car is within 3 months of the NCT due date, book it in and get it done yourself, this will help a lot, buyers like to see 2 years NCT or in and around there if possible.

take the best possible pictures of your car, the more the better. and finally be flexible on your price, i priced my own under the competition and it sold quickly, it also had 2 years NCT and had oil change done and oil/air filter.

best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nephew wrote: »
    I have my car for sale on carzone, a few enquiries but no viewings so far.

I'm looking for a bit of advice from those who've sold privately in the past, on everything from the test drive to what is the safest method of payment to avoid any trouble.

Thanks

Bank draft on a weekday so you can ring the bank in question and verify it's not a fake - or cash.

Test drive: if a punter crashes your car in a test drive, it's not covered, be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Make sure you know your car and have a mental list of recent work carried out, possible faults (no one will believe the car is 100% perfect), FSH is available, make sure your price is right- don't be greedy, don't POA your ad (you want a sale, not enquiries- post a link).

Arrange to meet, ideally where there are good roads, to hide suspension clangs and minimise risk of incident. Advise him to bring a mechanic as car is sold "as is" (he may ask you to bring the car somewhere relatively close for inspection. I'd agree as long as he's paying and it's not too far). Go with him/ them on the spin, proclaim it's virtues, don't let him discover glaring minor faults and use it to haggle later, admit them up front and try to trivialise them.

If you strike a deal, if the car is a couple of grand, cash will do- make sure you count it (I was stiffed €50 recently on a kayak because I was too polite). Your gut instinct is vital If it's less than €10k, draft. Tell him you want him to come to your house to collect it. There will be an issue over whether he takes the VLC/ reg. Cert- if he pays by draft, make sure you keep the documentation until you are SURE the draft is genuine before sending it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    Your gut instinct is vital If it's less than €10k, draft. Tell him you want him to come to your house to collect it. There will be an issue over whether he takes the VLC/ reg. Cert- if he pays by draft, make sure you keep the documentation until you are SURE the draft is genuine before sending it off.

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a draft with a barge pole, uncleared. Too many forgeries around. Get it in advance, clear it, then release the car. Holding on to the paperwork and not the car is the wrong way around - the paper is easy to replace, the car isn't. If he's tearing around in your car, in your name, you're the one getting the parking/speeding tickets. Pointless, imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's no need to be sorry. Same as I don't need to be sorry for the fact that drafts are used every day in a huge proportion of used car sales and htere's nothing stopping you reporting your car stolen by way of a forged draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's no need to be sorry. Same as I don't need to be sorry for the fact that drafts are used every day in a huge proportion of used car sales and htere's nothing stopping you reporting your car stolen by way of a forged draft.

Yes they are - but they are pre-cleared first, or the goods are not released until it does clear (up to 5 days.)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement