Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossberg 500A.

Options
  • 26-03-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 2nd hand Mossberg 500A today.
    Looking for suggestions on "modding" it....
    ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Not much you can really do come May the 1st....

mag cap extenders - restricted
    pistol grips - restricted
    Folding/telescoping stock - restricted
    shorty barrel - restricted

That said, I 'modded' my remy 870 with some perfectly legal fiber optic sights, a super-full, ported choke and synthetic stock, looks cool and won't get me three years if caught with it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i donno why you would want any of those mods anyway, they are just going to make your gun worse for shooting sports unless you're hunting door hinges. apart from the sights, the standard mossberg sights are not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Not much you can really do come May the 1st....

Why??? Do you read "restricted" as "banned"??

I know lots of people that own soon to be restricted firearms that will continue to own and licence them for many years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

OK, seriously now, if it isn't going to become more difficult to get licences for restricted firearms why the hell would they have bothered with the list in the first place. We know one thing for certain, it will be possible to get licences for restricted firearms. We can also be pretty damn sure that some people won't be getting renewals for their newly restricted guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

dimebag249 wrote: »
    OK, seriously now, if it isn't going to become more difficult to get licences for restricted firearms why the hell would they have bothered with the list in the first place. We know one thing for certain, it will be possible to get licences for restricted firearms. We can also be pretty damn sure that some people won't be getting renewals for their newly restricted guns.

According to the new Act everybody will get their renewal notices on or after 01/08/08 but
    "IT WILL BE UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL TO NOTIFY THEIR FAO THAT THEIR FIREARMS ARE RESTRICTED" with no explanation of what will happen if you do not by choice/error/misunderstanding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What do you want your shotgun to do??
    You didn't say what barrel length it is either.If you are talking about making it just more efficent,parts breakage,would advise get a new trigger group /housing.They are plastic and brea if abused.A steel saftey switch is good.
    If you are going to be shooting practical shotgun.Get a 24in slug barrel with sights and a heat shield.Change out the furniture for plastic/wood.Whatever is your choice.Iprefer wood on mine.
    If you are going to use it for "attitude adjusting".PM me then ,as this is then non shooting sport related.Even then I wouldnt bother with the folding stock.I have a top folder and experiance of using it both professionally and hobby wise.And they are sore when using slugs or 00 buck:eek:.
    Only place it ever came into use for me in Ireland was in deep swampy brush while duck hunting,where it was snap shots at ducks and wood cock.So a 24 in barrel and folder was useable just to reduce the guns length to somthing manageable legally in heavy cover .So unless you have a storage problem or need a folder for a specific type of shooting ,I wouldnt bother worrying about them. Most LE riot gun suppliers are going to the plastic full stock,very short barrel mode againThey do look cool tho:D

All in all unless you need it for stick ups or attitude adjusting a Short Barrelled Shotgun [SBS] is then just a fun gun.[For which there is no "good reason" clause in Irish law?].
    So that leaves mag capacity. 6 or 8 in a mossy is plenty good for practical,if you know how to speed load.Illegal for hunting game,fun if you are at a sport set up at a flapper clay shoot.Useless at a formal clay shoot.And if you have a social problem that requires more than 9 shots of 00 buck.Then I really dont want to know about it.:eek:

As it stands the restricted thing on shotguns is IMO,nothing too much to worry about Apply for a re tricted liscense for them[apprently the same price] and you can mod away to your hearts content.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If you are going to use it for "attitude adjusting".PM me then ,as this is then non shooting sport related.
    Not to mention illegal.

And OF COURSE NO ONE would EVER THINK of using a Sporting weapon EVER for defending themselves or loved ones,or EVER THINK such nasty impure thoughts in the gun owning sporting community in Ireland:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'm pretty sure they have thought such thoughts. I'm pretty sure, in fact, that at some time or other, sporting FIREARMS have been used for self-defence in extremis. I'm absolutely positively certain that doing so in extremis is legal. I'm also quite certain that planning to do so ahead of time is strictly illegal under the firearms act because that is not what you got your cert for, and the Gardai are explicit in stating that you will not be granted a cert for self-defence or defence of property.

So, if you get a PM asking how to use in self-defence a firearm whose cert was granted for hunting or target shooting, you have in your possession proof of an illegal act under section 3(13) of the Firarms Act, with a sentence that could run up to a €20,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment.

But I'm sure, that being the man of the world that you are, you'd never come onto a sporting forum and encourage someone who might not know any better to incriminate themselves like that, would you Grizzly? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they have thought such thoughts. I'm pretty sure, in fact, that at some time or other, sporting FIREARMS have been used for self-defence in extremis. I'm absolutely positively certain that doing so in extremis is legal. I'm also quite certain that planning to do so ahead of time is strictly illegal under the firearms act because that is not what you got your cert for, and the Gardai are explicit in stating that you will not be granted a cert for self-defence or defence of property.

So, if you get a PM asking how to use in self-defence a firearm whose cert was granted for hunting or target shooting, you have in your possession proof of an illegal act under section 3(13) of the Firarms Act, with a sentence that could run up to a €20,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment.

But I'm sure, that being the man of the world that you are, you'd never come onto a sporting forum and encourage someone who might not know any better to incriminate themselves like that, would you Grizzly? :rolleyes:

:eek:Applause:D

It is VERY legal to use a firearm for self defence in the in extremis situation Sparks.And indeed they have.
    However the planning ahead of time situation is a very grey and variable situation.

Does for example an Irish person going on a course in the USA,Israel or whereever firearms are legally carried for self defence and practises with a gun they posses at home in Ireland constitute planning ahead of time???
    It could be argued that yes it is,but again there are too many variables of grey for a a State attorney to build on that piece of evidence alone I would think?

So if you are with your missus and you discuss what will you do if somone breaks in and what you and the kids will do if this happens if they start coming up the stairs??This is pre planning for an In extremis situation as well.

Does willfully aquiring a shotgun,moddying it and keeping it loaded under your bed constitute planning??Without a doubt. BUT then any court case would and must be looked at it's merits.YES,we know the Gardai wont grant liscenses for SD ,etc..

If I got a PM askin what is better? a top folder or a side folder ,or what is the better mag extension.
    Hardly giving away their drastdly master plan there.You can write anything on the internet and not reveal your orginal thoughts.

That is hardly saying..well, I got this shotgun ,modded up with everything and I am going to use it to blast the little sHte who toilet paperd me house....Do I use slugs or Buckshot???Or whats the better load for shooting thru car doors.???
    On things like that you can comb the internet and get plenty of advice without askin on a chat group here in Ireland.

Sparks,fools dont need encouragement they can do that themselves.
    How would you report somone in a PM who is saying he is going to turn his shotgun into an all powerful doomsday device,and make that stick realistically in a court case??I mean by the time this is chased down,Garda manpower wasted,and whatnot.The person could have rebuilt it to normal config X times over.Heavens sake!! There are already legally sold shotguns out there with top folders!! Franchi had a line of them here in Ireland a few years ago.

Fine,we are all aware it is naughty to do things that might be construed as SD here in Ireland.But we cannot deny that it does happen.

Grizzly, this is seriously way off topic for this forum. If you really do want to discuss it further, that's fine, but not in here.

No probs,Sparks,just clarifying my points.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

It is VERY legal to use a firearm for self defence in the in extremis situation Sparks.And indeed they have.
    However the planning ahead of time situation is a very grey and variable situation.

Does for example an Irish person going on a course in the USA,Israel or whereever firearms are legally carried for self defence and practises with a gun they posses at home in Ireland constitute planning ahead of time???
    It could be argued that yes it is,but again there are too many variables of grey for a a State attorney to build on that piece of evidence alone I would think?

So if you are with your missus and you discuss what will you do if somone breaks in and what you and the kids will do if this happens if they start coming up the stairs??This is pre planning for an In extremis situation as well.

Does willfully aquiring a shotgun,moddying it and keeping it loaded under your bed constitute planning??Without a doubt. BUT then any court case would and must be looked at it's merits.YES,we know the Gardai wont grant liscenses for SD ,etc..

If I got a PM askin what is better? a top folder or a side folder ,or what is the better mag extension.
    Hardly giving away their drastdly master plan there.You can write anything on the internet and not reveal your orginal thoughts.

That is hardly saying..well, I got this shotgun ,modded up with everything and I am going to use it to blast the little sHte who toilet paperd me house....Do I use slugs or Buckshot???Or whats the better load for shooting thru car doors.???
    On things like that you can comb the internet and get plenty of advice without askin on a chat group here in Ireland.

Sparks,fools dont need encouragement they can do that themselves.
    How would you report somone in a PM who is saying he is going to turn his shotgun into an all powerful doomsday device,and make that stick realistically in a court case??I mean by the time this is chased down,Garda manpower wasted,and whatnot.The person could have rebuilt it to normal config X times over.Heavens sake!! There are already legally sold shotguns out there with top folders!! Franchi had a line of them here in Ireland a few years ago.

Fine,we are all aware it is naughty to do things that might be construed as SD here in Ireland.But we cannot deny that it does happen.

Grizzly you are the type of person I would hope would not be issued with a firearms license. Your thoughts and words are "way off what the sport of shooting is about".

Though you may yourself not do what you have talked about above, you may lead other people to think that it would be OK to have a loaded shotgun under their bed.

I hope you or who ever may think this way, are able to explain to the Garda how the intruder was ten minutes in the house while you assembled your firearm to defend the family. I think there is something about storing your firearms parts separately.

I remember an old friend of mine who use to love using the grey area example, my auld memory is not the best but I think his initial was D something K.

I remember my auld da telling the brothers about staying out of trouble and he use to use a lot of old sayings like: (what you do in hast you will repent at leisure) or (The grey area is the spot in the corner of the cell you piss into while you contemplate taking BAD ADVICE.)

Time for a little time out to consider your words Sikamick.Do you know me personally to form an opinion on wha tI know or dont know???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Didn't the Padraic Nally case set a precedent in this area? Or am I wrong? Or is that particular case a 'Don't mention the war' type of thing on the boards?

Anyway I think ye should cool it lads, the OP wanted advice not an argument.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be fair, the Padraig Nally case has absolutely nothing to do with shooting sports, no point mentioning it and associating the use of sporting firearms with violence will only hurt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

mayhem# wrote: »
    Just bought a 2nd hand Mossberg 500A today.
    Looking for suggestions on "modding" it....
    ;-)
    How about getting back on topic for mayham#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

clivej wrote: »

How about spelling my nick correctly?
    ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sethur

clivej wrote: »

Yes about time some common sense came back into the discussion

i think my post pretty much covered it, modding a mossy 500 with stuff like folding stock and pistol grips would make it worse for all types of serious shooting or hunting... unless you're planning on hunting indoors, in that case go down to toymaster.
    but the fibre sights and the ported chokes are a good idea unless your barrel is already ported.

Time for a little time out to consider your words Sikamick.Do you know me personally to form an opinion on what tI know or don't know???

I do not need to know you ,all I have to do is read your postings on boards and as a member of the shooting fraternity I worry about your comments as they could be seen to be incite and mislead others to believe your comments to be true and factual.

Personally Sickamick,I couldn't care less what you think.Opinions are like A4%eholes...everyone has one. But generally we try and keep our opinions of others to ourselves,until we have met them in person.What God given right do you have to sit in judgement on who is or isnt fit to hold a FAC??? Look to yourself before you sit in judgement of others Sir...

I reported your post to the Mods/Admin.So lets let them sort it out.

Hello Devore& Co could we have some feedback please???

Grizzly45=What God given right do you have to sit in judgement on who is or isnt fit to hold a FAC???

None, but I am entitled to my opinion just as your are entitled to yours. Its called common respected

Sorry deleted due to duplication

You are entitled to opinion,not personal abuse.

back on topic, dont mod a 500 cause there's no point, they are designed for a specific purpose, if you want one to do something else, then buy a different model shotgun.

Advertisement