Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - Router information?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Signed up for eircom broadband, have the line and the wireless router about 3 weeks. Was told the broadband would enabled today but we've no router password or WEP key (really wanna get over to WPA as soon as..). Can anybody let me know how they pass on the info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

are you connected to net?, i dont think eircom gave me my key, i dont remember, you dont need a password either, but i know if you connect to the modem via ethernet, go to http://192.168.1.254/ your routers address
    click wireless, and you will see the wep key for your wireless, works for me !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dont think so.

The DSL light on the modem keeps flashing green. There's no light on the "internet". Visiting 192.168.1.254 produces a login screen with some details filled in (eircom@eircom.net and a password) and when I submit it tells me the DSL connection is down.

Gonna ring tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont think so.

The DSL light on the modem keeps flashing green. There's no light on the "internet". Visiting 192.168.1.254 produces a login screen with some details filled in (eircom@eircom.net and a password) and when I submit it tells me the DSL connection is down.

But you can use that access to change your security from wep to wpa and pick a new password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Dont think so.

if it tells you your dsl in down it means your line isnt ready yet for the broadband or eircom havent activated it yet.

the details you see on the screen are the login details for eircom broadband and the password there would be broadband1.

if your line was meant to be ready i would ring eircom and tell them that its not working.

also you can tell if it is active if the green dsl light blinks for awhile and then stays on green, that means the dsl is active and you are connected to eircom.

once you are up and running to change the wireless settings just go to 3D wireless on the router page(192.168.1.254) and then either copy the wep code to your notepad or something or change it to wpa as you said you prefered.

if you have any trouble just leave a comment here and i will reply as soon as i see it.

Thanks guys, the DSL light flashes green and then goes off and the cycle repeats itself ;)

Because of the whole "Your DSL is not synced" error message I can't log into the router to change to WPA or set up port forwarding :P

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, the DSL light flashes green and then goes off and the cycle repeats itself ;)

Because of the whole "Your DSL is not synced" error message I can't log into the router to change to WPA or set up port forwarding :P

Your bb does not have to be activated to log into the router.

That's what I was thinking, but I tried it briefly and the DSL Sync error is all I got after submitting the login form. I like to think I'm not computer illiterate given I'm doing Computer Science ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

if you go onto your router and you see the login page, look at the top left of the page you you should see a link to home or something of the sort. click on that without clicking on the submit button and you should get into the main menu to change the settings.

That's what I was thinking, but I tried it briefly and the DSL Sync error is all I got after submitting the login form. I like to think I'm not computer illiterate given I'm doing Computer Science ;)

The mind doth truly boggle!!

There should be a list of options on the left side of the page when you log on. I think it might be under 'advanced' but cant be sure.

Do they not teach you to explore on these courses?:)

dub45 wrote: »
    Do they not teach you to explore on these courses?:)

Heh, my only disclaimer was that I did mention in my post that I had a brief attempt to figure it out, like 2 minutes on a Vista laptop at around 12am, I'll give it a decent go when I get home today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Did you use the CD they sent you?
    That will test your connection for you.

mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

try http://192.168.1.254/indexRES.htm

I think, defaults are
    username: admin
    Password: admin

Apparently we've had broadband enabled since the 19th, the tech guy told us to lose the splitter and jack it into the wall - voila, DSL light is solid green :)

These are the stats I'm getting, no idea if they're good but all speedtests are maxing the connection out :)
    Line State 	Up
    Modulation 	DMT
    Data Path 	Interleave

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	3072 	384
    SN Margin (dB) 	9.00 	18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	37.50 	21.50
    CRC Errors 	48 	1

Advertisement