Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 vs B'berry Curve vs iphone

• 26-03-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I know another "what phone" thread but I am thinking of getting a new smartphone and can't decide which. I currently have a N95 on vodafone PAYG. I will be changing to billpay soon but cant decide what to do. My options are;
    1. keep N95 and switch to bill pay
    2. Get Blackberry curve on O2
    3. Get iphone on O2

I have the N95 for a while now. Its features are pretty good particularly camera and video but I can't warm to the UI.
    I had a b'berry before (pearl) and loved it and getting email pushed to me was great. New OS which is due soon claims to improve things more with full HTML email and updated browser.
    The iphone is very interesting an having played with it it seems pretty slick. I currently have an ipod touch which I could get rid off if I get this. I use a mac as well so will have no problems there. Also when firmware 2.0 comes out I think there will be some great apps

What I want is a device that can do the following;
    • sync well with outlook calender, tasks, contacts (preferably over bluetooth)
    • handle multimedia well, pictures and video
    • get/send email either push or regular updates (gmail)
    • good phone/text handling
    • internet browsing
    • rss feeds
    • PDF viewer and possibly document viewer (not too bothered)

What are people's experiences of the camera quality of the curve or iphone?
    If I get either of these I will probably get a camera of some kind still or small video camera (such as sanyo xacti)

Any experiences would be helpful and any watchouts that I may not have thought of??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Akula

My comments on the curve

* sync well with outlook calender, tasks, contacts (preferably over bluetooth)
    -Works really well
    * handle multimedia well, pictures and video
    -Not great for pictures or video, not a touch on the iphone. Music player is average.
    * get/send email either push or regular updates (gmail)
    -Far far better than any of the others for this
    * good phone/text handling
    -Far better than the iphone in this regard. Better than any nokia I've used.
    * internet browsing
    -Pretty average, better once you install opera mini, but still hampered by slow speeds.
    * rss feeds
    -Have to do it through the browser, pretty average.
    * PDF viewer and possibly document viewer (not too bothered)
    -Will view them if sent via email.... Pretty basic. Both could do with improvement but will do in a fix.

All in all, the curve is amazing if what you want is a strong phone/email/sms device. Nothing beats it in that field.

Also the main thing lacking on the iphone is decent instant messenger support (and is unlikely to come with the SDK apps because of locking down that apple has done).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Thanks for that. I'm not a huge emailer but I love the B'berry UI and that is what's drawing me back to it

Any opinions from iphone users or others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Bump

Advertisement