Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Recommend me a bike thread! (sorry)

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭

I live in Annamoe (that's halfway between Roundwood and Glendalough) and work in South County Dublin.

At this time of year the mountain roads around here are full of cyclists and its set me thinking to join them!

As its bright in the mornings and evenings now was thinking of cycling to and from work (about 35K each way if I use the M50 on part of the route..too dangerous for a cyclist during rush hour?).
    I could go via Bray and avoid the M50 but that route is not as direct.

Anyhow the road from Kilmacanoge to is Roundwood is rather steep, as I'm certain many here know all about, so will need a bike that's not going to murder me going up a serious hill.

So any recommendations?, I'm 170cm tall (if that matters in bike type selection).

Also is ~65K a day of cycling doable with a full days work in the middle?, does anyone here travel this far on a daily basis?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Firstly name your budget. what type of bike you want, Road, Hybrid, mountain.

Cycling on the M50 is not only dagerous but also illegal.

Also 35k isnt that long but it will take over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks E@gle,

My budget would be up to about 2000 if the bike was really good, would prefer to spend in the 1000 - 1500 range (or less) , quality is important to me. I used to cycle a lot about 10 years ago and fully appreciate how important it is to have a reliable set of wheels under you on a long journey.
    As to type of bike, road or hybrid, prime importance is that it can handle Irish country roads reliably without something breaking half way, the most bulletproof tyres are important for the same reason but should be slim as possible for obvious reasons.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are serious about cycling, get the best you can afford. In the long run, you wont be sorry. Don't skimp on extra gear such as shorts and jerseys and shoes. As someone mentioned in the Etape thread, the shorts can make a big difference on the longer rides. I spent 1500 on my first bike because I knew I would get the use out of it. I've since upgraded the wheels, seatpost and tyres, but only cos some bird ran me over and the originals broke :) It's lasted me two years now and I reckon I'll keep it for at least another before I look to get a new one.

Welcome to the money pit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I'd have thought a road bike would be best suited for that kind of distance, the drops give a good variety of riding positions. You could get a flat bar road bike too, but I prefer the flexibility drops give. For your budget you'll get something very decent. Stick on a pair of Conti Gatorskin or Specialized Armadillo tyres if you want extra puncture peace of mind, although I'd be packing a spare tube anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

If you have a budget of €2000 spend 1500 on the bike and use the rest of the money for shoes, pedals, shorts etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Im a hybrid man myself. Use a Kona Dr Dew, its a sweet sweet bike.
    Just prefer this style of bike for comfort and speed. I've never had a problem with it. :cool:

Z1561D_BIG.jpg

Thanks guys.

From reading your posts I've decided on up to 1500 for a road bike and pedals and another 500 for helmet etc.

I was chatting to a collegue in work today who reckons that the Lapierre range offer same quality to Trek at a lower price point was wondering as to opinions here on that?

Right , this looks like THE ONE :- Focus Cayo 2008
    focus-cayo-08-med.jpg

The site claims its "ready to ride" but doesn't mention pedals.

Has anyone bought from this seller before and have any feedback or things I should ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Most bikes from online retailers don't come with pedals as alot of people use clipless systems, so you'll have to remember to buy some pedals!

Advertisement