Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly the most unusual scoreline I have ever seen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No we don't because once we start asking those questions we have to ask whether or not Ireland can play as we have failed to beat liechtenstein before this haven't we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Its not that unusual is it? Liechtenstein playing with 10 men for over an hour are always gonna let in a few goals. Even against Malta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'd say Salzburg's 0-7 defeat against Vienna is probably that little tiny MASSIVE bit more strange really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We can put that down to them being down to 10.

I still think they should play in the qualifiers. It's a World or European championship. You should have the possibility of playing all teams competing, be they ridiculous or massive.

On a side note Montenegro beat Norway tonight. We pretty much have no team we can demand 6 points of for the upcoming qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Southampton 6-3 Man Utd. Now that was pretty unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

As this group goes on, Malta are going to be a potential banana skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

How bout all these results this year?
    Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa
    Tottenham 4-4 Aston Villa
    Portsmouth 7-4 Reading
    Tottenham 4-4 Chelsea
    Tottenham 6-4 Reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

deise59 wrote: »
    How bout all these results this year?
    Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa
    Tottenham 4-4 Aston Villa
    Portsmouth 7-4 Reading
    Tottenham 4-4 Chelsea
    Tottenham 6-4 Reading

Obviously your saying its worth bettin on games involving Spurs Villa and Reading to be high scoring matchs......hmmmmmm as good a theory as any knowing my history with betting on football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That lad Mifsud who scored twice for Coventry to knock Utd out of League cup, scored 5 tonight!

Completed his hat trick with a peno in the 21st minute. Liechtenstein had a player sent off in the peno incident.

Still a very strange result because they are gradually improving and Malta are pretty awful tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Battle of the giants :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nothing strange or unusal about that result, I'm neither shocked or surprised. Here are a few mini suprises from tonight thou.

Poland 0-3 United States
    L Donovan 12
    O Onyewu 35
    E Lewis 73

Romania 3-0 Russia
    C Marica 45
    D Niculae 61
    M Niculae 75

Sweden 1-0 Brazil
    A Pato 72

South Africa 3-0 Paraguay
    S Moriri 37
    B McCarthy 46
    S Tshabalala 63

Austria 3-4 Netherlands
    Ivanschitz 6 K Huntelaar 37, 86
    Prodl 18, 35 J Heitinga 67
    J Hesselink 83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

St Pats 5
    The greatest team ever to grace the irish world of football.....Shammmmmmmmmmmmmrockkkkkkk Roooooooverrrrrrs 0

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Boggles wrote: »
    Nothing strange or unusal about that result, I'm neither shocked or surprised. Here are a few mini suprises from tonight thou.

Sweden 1-0 Brazil
    A Pato 72

strange indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sweden 1-0 Brazil
    A Pato 72

Someones been on Aertel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sweden 1-0 Brazil
    A Pato 72

Is that unusual because it didn't actually happen? :confused:

Pato is a Brazilian and Brazil won the game 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Someones been on Aertel!

http://stats.football365.com/results.html

This crowd are making it up as they go along, Lazy! :)

I will stick to Aertel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Patos goal was a beaut. What a player that kids gonna be:)

I thought Messi was going to be the superstar of the next decade but he has some serious competition in Pato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I've seen the idea mentioned that all the UEFA minnows like Andorra, Liechtenstein San Marino etc. should play off against each other in a league or tournament to earn a certain number of places in qualifying groups for the WC & EC, i think it would be a good idea, it would give the minnows some competitive football to play and would reduce the number of teams that make up cannon fodder in the regular qualifying groups.

I've seen the idea mentioned that all the UEFA minnows like Andorra, Liechtenstein San Marino etc. should play off against each other in a league or tournament to earn a certain number of places in qualifying groups for the WC & EC, i think it would be a good idea, it would give the minnows some competitive football to play and would reduce the number of teams that make up cannon fodder in the regular qualifying groups.

Im not so sure...in theory its a great idea.

But it then leads to qualifying for the qualification becoming a success, thus devaluaing the tournament IMO.

See the premiership/champions league as an example.
    You have Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea all trying to win the league...after that you have "We got fourth fifth or sixth place! WooHoo! were fantastic! yay!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont forget a certain qualifier against san marino

<hides>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Eirebear wrote: »
    Im not so sure...in theory its a great idea.

But it then leads to qualifying for the qualification becoming a success, thus devaluaing the tournament IMO.

See the premiership/champions league as an example.
    You have Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea all trying to win the league...after that you have "We got fourth fifth or sixth place! WooHoo! were fantastic! yay!"

Well it is a success if you are San Marino, countries with tiny populations have spent their time since the 1990s getting hammered home & away, the only success they know is avoiding the wooden spoon, put say the bottom 8 teams in UEFAs co-efficients and let them scrap it out for places against the bigger nations.

i honestly cannot see how Andorra being whipped home & away campaign after campaign bar an occasional freak result can be good for small teams, also a team like France playing Andorra home and away is a pointless match. now if Andorra had beaten a few teams and earned the right to play France then maybe they might give them more of a game i don't know, what i am saying the situation as it currently stands is a bit of a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

To the person who started this thread: What on Earth is the point you are trying to make here?; and what solution do you propose?

Like others here, I don't see anything unusual with the scoreline at all.

Well it is a success if you are San Marino, countries with tiny populations have spent their time since the 1990s getting hammered home & away, the only success they know is avoiding the wooden spoon, put say the bottom 8 teams in UEFAs co-efficients and let them scrap it out for places against the bigger nations.

i honestly cannot see how Andorra being whipped home & away campaign after campaign bar an occasional freak result can be good for small teams, also a team like France playing Andorra home and away is a pointless match. now if Andorra had beaten a few teams and earned the right to play France then maybe they might give them more of a game i don't know, what i am saying the situation as it currently stands is a bit of a joke.

I do see what your saying, but how would you make that split?

Scotland had fallen to almost as bad as some of these teams in the rankings recently but in one campaign managed to trun it around and almost qualify from a group which included France Italy and Ukraine...by this proposal they would have been close to not even being allowed in such a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The strangest scoreline I've ever seen was East Fife four, Forfar five.. now thats a tongue twister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Poland 0-3 United States
    L Donovan 12
    O Onyewu 35
    E Lewis 73

Another mistake, Bocanegra score the US' first not Donovan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The strangest scoreline I've ever seen was East Fife four, Forfar five.. now thats a tongue twister.

Wasnt that an ad on tv way back when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Well if the small teams didn't like it, presumably they would have given up? I assume they still get decent crowds in to watch these games. I like it the way it is. Seems elitist to deny the smaller teams a proper chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ireland are a minnow.

Couldn't beat Cyprus.

Barely beat San Marino.

That is the mark of a minnow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des. Stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most unusual result for me last night was Austria 3 - 4 Holland. Austrians 3 up inside a half then it all went tits up. I know it was only a friendly but come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DesF wrote: »
    Ireland are a minnow.

Couldn't beat Cyprus.

Barely beat San Marino.

If only more people went to Tolka park of a Friday night, it could all be so different.

:)

Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Romania 3-0 Russia
    C Marica 45
    D Niculae 61
    M Niculae 75

Why you suprised at that result? Romania were one of the best team in the quailfing for Euro 08

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Unusual scorelines? Was playing FM last night and my Crewe Alexandra team beat Hull City 9-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,221812,00.html

"Has there ever been the Saturday night score announcer's all-time dream result: East Fife 5, Forfar 4? There's AU$20 riding on it asks Hugh McGinley.

Nearly but not quite. The Fifers visited Station Park during the 1963/4 campaign in the old Scottish Second Division and scored four. Sadly, their hosts still won, the final score being... Forfar 5, East Fife 4."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ireland are a minnow.

Couldn't beat Cyprus.

Barely beat San Marino.

From the same time frame:

Beat Slovakia 1-0
    Beat Denmark 4-0
    Drew 0-0 with Germany
    Drew 1-1 with Czech Republic
    Finished 3rd in Qualifying group.

That is not the mark of a minnow. That is the mark of a frustratingly inconsistent team who with the help of a decent manager have the ability to improve on their consistency.

Here's an unusual story about record scores.

http://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/s_2005/36-0_Revisited.htm

"England 10-1 USA"
    The unthinkable occurred when Haitian-born Joe 'Larry' Gaetjens scored a headed goal for the USA's collection of dubiously qualified part-timers before the break and, try as they might, England could not hit back. When the final score came through back home, many thought 'England 0-1 USA' was a misprint and produced newspapers with the score 'England 10-1 USA'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=366616&root=worldcup&cc=5739

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That a minnow like San Marino can manage to draw with one of the bigger nations once a decade is being used to argue for their immediate involvement is strange; if anything it should be used to argue against it.

It is a total waste of time having teams like Italy, France and so on thumping San Marino and co for double figures twice every campaign. A seeded set of prequalifiers would cut down on the number of these games and provide more evenly matched games. The bottom-seeded teams aren't being denied the chance as someone said - they still have the chance, but they have to prove that they have merited it. If they can consistently improve their performances over a certain period of time, their seeding will improve and they won't have to play these games.

Likewise, if a previously high-ranked team performs abysmally over an extended period of time, they drop down the seeding. It isn't elitist, it is meritocracy.

This system is used elsewhere in the world for qualification, I don't see why not in Europe. Other regions have the sense not to pit micro nations against the super powers. It's farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What teams do people want to remove?

For a start : San Marino, Liechtenstein, Northern Ireland.

In no particular order.

The Faroes.
    San Marino.
    Malta
    Luxembourg.
    Liechtenstein.
    Andorra.
    Ireland.

And I have no idea what the story is with Ex-Yugoslavic countries and Ex-CCCP states. Which of them are "minnows" etc?

Although, with them seven I already named, plus a couple more, we could have a decent competition of minnows, with the best team coming out of it to compete in the normal group.

Run this group concurrently with the already running groups, but a Tournament "behind".

IE, the one that starts now in September for SA2010, the winner would enter the group stage for the qualification to Euro2012.

I think only countries that have adopted the Euro should be allowed enter. After that results will dictate exclusion.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Northern Ireland.
    Big lol tbh.

NI are better than RoI at the moment, so I assume you'll be including RoI to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Refugees 10-0 SPAs ftw.

Big lol tbh.

NI are better than RoI at the moment, so I assume you'll be including RoI to?

Nah we get to stay in because we have "the greatest fans in the world".

Nah we get to stay in because we have "the greatest fans in the world".
    No. We don't.

We have the worst fans in the world.

No. We don't.

We have the worst fans in the world.

Steve Staunton is the "best manager in the world."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Steve Staunton is the "best manager in the world."
    World class management team was the BS the FAI came up with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement