Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ip address

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I should know but I dont :-)

Whats the story with IP address. I was with UTV and my IP address used to change everytime I logged in but with NTL it remains the same. I was seting up cryptloader and it resets your router to get a new ip address each time but mine never changes. Is this normal with NTL ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have never used NTL but a few broadband providers (IBB definitely) use static ips, i.e you have the same ip forever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DinoBot wrote: »
    Hi,

I should know but I dont :-)

Whats the story with IP address. I was with UTV and my IP address used to change everytime I logged in but with NTL it remains the same. I was seting up cryptloader and it resets your router to get a new ip address each time but mine never changes. Is this normal with NTL ?

UTV gives a new DHCP lease with each connection. NTL uses sticky IP's that will renew the lease unless you disconnect for a period longer than 6 hours or so. Hence with NTL you can keep the same IP for months on end so long as you stay connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Spear wrote: »
    UTV gives a new DHCP lease with each connection. NTL uses sticky IP's that will renew the lease unless you disconnect for a period longer than 6 hours or so. Hence with NTL you can keep the same IP for months on end so long as you stay connected.

Thanks for the info :) Makes sense now.

Advertisement