Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hd dissapointment, major

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    720p isn't a native resolution. 1366x768 is a native resolution.

Yes it is, I have 4 screens, my projector(ax100e) is 1280x720 native. My pc monitor is 1440x900, I have a 1280x1024 laptop screen, and a dell screen with 1680 x 1050.
    These are all their native resolutions, none which are 1366x768, however of course some tv's have 1366x768 as a native resolution, not all do.
    Your 26" has the same resolution as your 100" projector...so you've stretched the image 4 times more for the same pixels???
    By that logic then the bigger the screen the worse the picture, so why not just use a 17" 1280x720 screen and the pixels will be finer.
    Of course at 100" the screen will be stretched(my projector screen is about 90") however doesn't mean you will be sitting the same distance from it.
    I much prefer playing games/watching films on my projector than watching on the 42"tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

i probably should have qulified it and said 37" is where true HD comes in and HD DVD is useless without it.

An you'd have been wrong either way ,

There is a lot of guff spread around the net about what size screen you'd notice the benefit of HD on , with a lot of baseless calculations ,

The truth of the matter is that on any screen you will notice an improvement due to HD , it gets more noticable as the screen size goes up , but to say its not noticable on a 26 inch is rubbish , it most definitely is !

Regarding LCD TV's , 1366 x 768 is very very common , all the way up to 40 inch plus screens , the next res up is 1920 x 1080.
    Plasma TV's have a wider range of native resolutions , as do computer monitors.

HD " content " on the other hand , generally comes in two flavours , 1280 x 720 ( 720 p ) , and 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p or 1080i) , it is not correct to call either of these a " native resolution" as that term applies to the hardware and not the software or content.
    In that sense , a TV can be said to accept 720p , or 1080p , but unless the TV has a native resolution exactly matching on of the content types , then it is not correct to call it a 720p set or a 1080p set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Well there's not many TV sets that have 1920 x 1080 that come in under 37".

I never said it wasn't an improvement over SD, just that IMO...IMO!...Xbox 360 HD DVD looks pants on anything less than 1280 x 1024.

And i was right to say 720p isn't a native resolution, cos as you rightly point out it's not.

This whole thread is about why an xbox makes HD DVDs look crap and all i was doing was pointing out why in DOCs case it does.
    brav wrote: »
    By that logic then the bigger the screen the worse the picture, so why not just use a 17" 1280x720 screen and the pixels will be finer.

Thats exactly my point. :confused:

Bigger isn't neccisarily better!

Well there's not many TV sets that have 1920 x 1080 that come in under 37".

They can be had at 23 inch or less in some cases , Im typing this on a Screen that has a tuner , is 24 inch with a native res of 1920 x 1200 no less , they are very very common.

As for straight out TV's , full HD 32 inch sets are not exactly thin on the ground either ...

http://www.cheaptv.org.uk/sharp-lc32x20e-32-inch-aquos-hd-ready-1080p-lcd-tv/
    This whole thread is about why an xbox makes HD DVDs look crap

Thats not the way I read it , The OP is asking why it looks bad on his set on the offchance that maybe something isnt set up right , and/or if everyone has the same opinion of HD from the xbox , which they obviously dont !

The Xbox does not make HD DVD's look crap , and answering threads like this , with sweeping inaccurate statements like " your TV is too small " , or " The xbox is crap at HD " is far from helpful.

FFS, do all you hombres try and poke holes in everyones posts??? :rolleyes:

The chap asked if he was doing something wrong ad said what the image dvd etc looked like and was going to ring MS and ask what the **ck the were at.

All i said was the hd dvd player for 360 doesn't do itself justice unless you've got relitively high set of equipment plugged into the 360!

Take that as you wish but i wasn't knocking small tvs and people trying to play their HD dvd through thjem.

Just explaining that MS market the player and don't bother telling people "btw if you don't have a nice high res tv, don't bother cos you'll be dissapointed."

As for me saying "not many under 37" are 1920 x 1080" and you giving one example as a rebuttle thats just petty. "not many" wow you googled 1!

TBH i don't give a toss what you guys think about my posts after the original post i made, cos thats what i think doc should be told.

I won't bother next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

And i was right to say 720p isn't a native resolution, cos as you rightly point out it's not.
    No you're not. 720p refers to 1280*720 which is a native resolution to some screens.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    No you're not. 720p refers to 1280*720 which is a native resolution to some screens.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

Guu huuuhh (chokes on laughter!!!), why yes yes i am.

1280x720 is in fact a native resolution as you quite rightly point out.

However! ... .. . the "P" in 720p means "Progressive Scan".

720p means: 720 lines of pixels refreshed at the same rate per second fomr line 1 to line 720. Thus 720p is not a native resolution.

Thats like saying "as fast as speed of light" or "as heavy as a kilometre" ya big butt head ya!

JEEZ! :eek:

btw, on topic : DOC i hope your getting some enjoyment out of this forum at this stage because i'm sure your query has well and truly been fleshed out to it's end!

My advice to you Doc is get a VGA cable, 1st party (official MS) and try that. You'll notice a much better resolution and sharpness but the colours will be a bit washed out. :)

As for me saying "not many under 37" are 1920 x 1080" and you giving one example as a rebuttle thats just petty. "not many" wow you googled 1!

Actually I just picked one as an example , heres the google ...Sharp , Sony , Toshiba , JVC , ...it goes on ...and on .....

http://www.google.ie/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=full+hd+32+inch&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

Alright man,

I'll agree to disagree, if thats cool with you. I suppose your as right as I am when it comes to an argument! :cool: (Oh yes, of course i'm not 100% right)

We could be arguing over worse things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

...Xbox 360 HD DVD looks pants on anything less than 1280 x 1024.

Just one question, as your output device is 1280x1024 wouldn't that taking the input at 720p and scaling it for the screen? So surly anything above 720 pixels verticle would pretty much look that same at the same screen sizes? With maybe the further from 720 you got the worse the image?:confused:

• Advertisement

Proabaly yes on a TV unless your downscaling from 1080i/p (THough i think a lot of HD-DVDs are only 720p).

I use a vga cable and a monitor. The xbox outputs at the same res as the screen. But like you said if the film on dvd is 720 then yeah it'd be upscaling it.

My monitor is 4:3 also so i can't reduce the vertical res on the xbox as it would then stretch it up to the monitor and that would be proper pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Proabaly yes on a TV unless your downscaling from 1080i/p (THough i think a lot of HD-DVDs are only 720p).

All HD-DVDs so far have been released in 1080p.
    http://www.bitburners.com/high-definition-dvd-faq/#faq406

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

stopped reading this thread cause i didnt ask about resolutions and tech jargon, thanks for those that tried

All HD-DVDs so far have been released in 1080p.
    http://www.bitburners.com/high-definition-dvd-faq/#faq406

Rockin, i might actually get one in that case. For €50 why not!

See ya DOC. Hope you got sorted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Could somebody tell me what the difference (if any) there is between the XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable and an XBox 360 HDMI Cable?

I decided to buy one of the HD DVD players and I have just connected it to my XBox console. I thought I would be able to connect a HDMI cable from my X-BOX HD DVD player to my tv but there are only USB slots on the HD DVD. There is what appears to be a HDMI slot on my XBox 360 console but I have to use that to connect it to the HD DVD.

So I have connected the XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable to my LG 42" LCD TV, I changed the display settings on the console to 720p (that is what the tv is set at) and I put in the HD DVD of Transformers into my HD DVD player.

To be honest I cant see much difference. I have a DVD of Transformers also so I put that into my normal dvd player and have been switching from the DVD version to the HD DVD version. I cant see any difference to be honest. Is there a way I can connect the X-BOX to the HDMI slot on my tv??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

gazzer wrote: »
    Could somebody tell me what the difference (if any) there is between the XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable and an XBox 360 HDMI Cable?

I decided to buy one of the HD DVD players and I have just connected it to my XBox console. I thought I would be able to connect a HDMI cable from my X-BOX HD DVD player to my tv but there are only USB slots on the HD DVD. There is what appears to be a HDMI slot on my XBox 360 console but I have to use that to connect it to the HD DVD.

So I have connected the XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable to my LG 42" LCD TV, I changed the display settings on the console to 720p (that is what the tv is set at) and I put in the HD DVD of Transformers into my HD DVD player.

To be honest I cant see much difference. I have a DVD of Transformers also so I put that into my normal dvd player and have been switching from the DVD version to the HD DVD version. I cant see any difference to be honest. Is there a way I can connect the X-BOX to the HDMI slot on my tv??

Thanks

Well if your 360 has a HDMI slot then use a HDMI cable. If not use the VGA cable. Personally I found that either the Component cable that comes with the 360 is crap or my component cable on my tv is crap.

I would use any other available connection if I were you as I noticed a huge difference going from Component to VGA on my 360, a significant difference although not as huge as going from Scart to Component in the first place but I would recommend the cable to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never had a problem with the 360 component output, ideally there is very little difference between the component, VGA and HDMI but TV's handle each of the signals differently so some TV's will get better quality from different connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I have no way of testing 1080p over vga, but on my particular tv HDMI is quite a good bit better than component anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well my logic was that most HDTV's would cheap out on the component connection and just take whatever was going around cheapest and put it in since the connection type isn't commonly used anymore and is dying out.

I imagine most budget HDTV's at least would have poor component inputs but I could be way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks guys for the replies. I will head up to Blanch SC later on and get one of the VGA cables as I have checked the back of my tv and there are tons of different connections and a VGA one is one of them. Hopefully I will notice a difference in the picture quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement