Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bubble Bobble Thread

• 26-03-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

This thread is for all Bubble Bobble fans out there.

I have a copy of the arcade classic for the PS2.

Hours of fun

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I remember playing this a lot in a chipper in Rush back in the eighties.
    C64 conversion was awesome.
    I have the Master system version of it now , which was arguably the best home version (not counting emulations on modern consoles).
    Never thought much of Rainbow Islands though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

One of my fav games of all time. I remember clearing the game with my brother, a very proud moment in my life:)

Although I never entered the code and played the game through the game the second time in the "extra hard" state. That would have being class.

Still play it every one and again. I never actually cleared it on my own, in a one player game, did anyone here?????

Only if Bubble Bobble 3 came out .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Cracking game this ... I play it with my 7 yr old daughter.
    It's the ultimate 'feelgood' game ... you just can't stop smiling, and it never gets old. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

used to play that in the snooker hall in kilbarrack with pete's 10p and we'd be there all day classic.....where would i get a copy of that for the ps2:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djsim wrote: »
    Only if Bubble Bobble 3 came out .............

It did. It's called bubble symphony and is on one of the taito collections for the PS2 and xbox. I have it for the saturn. Fantastic game.

As for bubble bobble, it really is a stupidly good game that will never age. I used to love it on the C64 and regularly play it through an emulator. It's one of my all time favourite games.

Originally Posted by Retr0gamer
    It did. It's called bubble symphony

wasn't "Parasol Stars" the third in the series? I must check out bubble symphony on the ps2, love to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djsim wrote: »
    wasn't "Parasol Stars" the third in the series? I must check out bubble symphony on the ps2, love to play it.

You are probably right. However Parasol Stars as well as Rainbow Islands don't play much like Bubble Bobble. Bubble Symphony however is more of a direct sequel to bubble bobble since it's very close to the original. If you are a fan of the original be sure to check it out, it's a damn fine game.

The taito collection is also a bit of a bargain, it's not like the rest of the games on it are pants there's a load of absolute classics. G-Darius and Layer Section are worth the price of the collection alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well Parasol stars was never released in the arcades so I don't count it as part of the series. Still a great game tho but it's no bubble symphony which was an excellent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Best arcade game ever, I can remember coming across this when I was a wee 10 year old, must have been 1986 as that's when it was released, in an arcade in Wexford which began my infatuation with it. Still play 2 player games regularly on Mame with a mate and it's still great craic after more than 20 years. I can almost still remember the cheat for it too, left, jump, left, 1p start, left, fire and a the rest I can't remember.

• Advertisement

What Taito Collection is it on?? Legends one or two?

its grand, it is on the second one, I am sure I have that lying around someplace, must check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

jaysus, humming the tune now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Jip wrote: »
    Best arcade game ever, I can remember coming across this when I was a wee 10 year old, must have been 1986 as that's when it was released, in an arcade in Wexford which began my infatuation with it. Still play 2 player games regularly on Mame with a mate and it's still great craic after more than 20 years. I can almost still remember the cheat for it too, left, jump, left, 1p start, left, fire and a the rest I can't remember.

Hey Jip that wouldn't have been Caesar's Palace would it? Bubble Bobble in there was pwned by 2 girls during my formative years (the late 80s) who knew the cheats and all that and would finish all 100 levels (including the warp) on 10p each while chain smoking silk cut blue.

Good times, good times.

Can't remember the name of the place now corblimey but it's funny that you mention the 2 girls as I definately do recall one who was great at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I remember reading the Power Up! cheat in c&vg when i was 10 and guys 5 or 6 years older than me staring in disbelief when i entered it in the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Great game, tho it has to be said the guys in that music clip look really lame. Game music is really cool (esp C64 sid stuff) but people playing it live just look dorky.

Anyway, back on topic, go Rainbow Islands! Possibly one of my top5 favs of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - One of my all time favs also. Got hooked on way back when I used to play it in a chipper in Ballymahon...
    Ah the memories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

They still had a cabinet in Lahinch until two or three years ago. The thing had been getting solid play day in day out for 15 years at least. I'd love to have checked the credit counter.

If I ever set up an arcade it's going to have Bubble Bobble, Bomb Jack and Wonderboy. Those were the three games all the girls played when I went to arcades as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They still had a cabinet in Lahinch until two or three years ago. The thing had been getting solid play day in day out for 15 years at least. I'd love to have checked the credit counter.

If I ever set up an arcade it's going to have Bubble Bobble, Bomb Jack and Wonderboy. Those were the three games all the girls played when I went to arcades as a kid.

I played Bubble Bobble in a chipper in Athenry years ago. I then got it for the C64, i now have it for my laptop. Its timeless.

Any one remember Snow Bros. Bit of a Bubble bobble rip off. It came a good bit after it.

• Advertisement

Snow Bros was excellent. Bloody hard though.

Tumblepop is another game in a similar style that I enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 om3gatronic

I remeber throwing 10p after 10p playing this game at the local arcade. It was a very addictive game compared to alot of the newer games nowadays. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

This thread is for all Bubble Bobble fans out there.

I have a copy of the arcade classic for the PS2.

Hours of fun

can I have it?

anyone know where I can get a copy of mappy?
    I got it for the pc in argos but lost the disc when we moved and pc crashed and lost all!

Siobhan: download a program called MAME. Then do a search for a Mappy ROM and you can play it with that. You can play pretty much any arcade game ever made on MAME.

God ya I forgot that blitz!
    I used to play wonderboy on it!
    Cheers:D

God ya I forgot that blitz!
    I used to play wonderboy on it!
    Cheers:D

^^Thus confirming my theory that all girls like Wonderboy. :D

One of my favourites is Wonder Boy 3: Monster Lair on the Mega Drive (arcade versions a bit cheap). ****ing worship it. The music is deadly.

god Im talking 20 years ago now!
    wow!
    wonderboy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Hi Folks,
    I have the full MAME setup on a dedicated PC on the garage with an X-Arcade full joystick setup. 5796 ROMs and all I play is Bobble Bobble. :D
    Can anyone help me with stage 19 - If you fall down the thin gaps - is there anyway to get out?
    Thanks
    in advance ;)
    JK

• Advertisement

You can bounce out on your own bubbles, but it takes practice.

You know you can bounce on a bubble you blow by holding the jump button down when you land on the bubble ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought everyone knew that one!

I was in Kevin street college back in 1990 and there were a couple of guys there who could stay on Bubble Bobble all day on one credit each.
    They knew all the shortcuts, all the secrets.
    It was a joy to watch them play.

It was a pity though because no one else could have a go, but there was always the good Jackal and the frankly awesome Gravitar to play instead.

Wonder what sort of degrees those fella's got in the end?

yep, I know you can bounce on your own bubble, but when you are in a confined space, it keeps popping. Is there a special trick to doing this?
    see attached pic of stage 19.
    thanks
    JK

IIRC you need to blow a bubble just as you start a jump and then you should be above it so you can bounce on it...

That does not work in the confined space. But I can remember from years ago that there is a way of getting back out - just cannot remember how!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    That does not work in the confined space. But I can remember from years ago that there is a way of getting back out - just cannot remember how!!

It doesn't work every time it is tried, but, it does work! Try blowing the bubble then immediately after it, press and hold jump. You will have a better chance that way.

• Advertisement

That's the trick, in a tight space stand as far away from the wall as possible, turn to face the wall and blow and jump like nuts, get it right and you'll shoot up, but more often than not it results in lots of frustration as you only get so far up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Have the jamma board, excellent game, most definitely my favourite arcade game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

deadl0ck wrote: »
    IIRC you need to blow a bubble just as you start a jump and then you should be above it so you can bounce on it...
    This does work but its extremely hard to do with an arcade stick or joypad, much easier to do on a keyboard:confused:

Advertisement