Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    What bike are you getting, and when are you getting it? Remember to give yourself time to adjust to it.

I've not fully decided yet. Possibly a Planet X Kaffenback with full 105, or one of their superlight team bikes, or possibly a Cube Streamer if they still have any in my size... there's just so much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

This is the first I heard about these rides. Must have passed me by on the board. Hats off to whoever pulled the finger out and organised it! Weekends are not good for me at the moment though, currently spending much of my free time heading to Cork, but hopefully I'll be able to take part soon.

I put new 'armadillo' tyres on my langster recently so I'm keen to hit the road again on it, those old tyres kept on giving me punctures, useless altogether. Had the armadillos on my commuter fixie for ages now and not a single puncture yet. The single speed on the flip flop hub might finally make a debut!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RtD wrote: »
    Might consider joining you guys myself, will I get away with my flat bars and 28c tires of my trusty FCR?

I'd be joining at Dundrum, though admitedly it'll be very dependent on wheter I'm boozing on friday night or not :o
    Definitely. I'm on an FCR (2) as well, and until yesterday it had flat bars - I've gone over Sally 3 times on it now, twice totally stock - no modifications. Now I have 23c tires and dropped bars, everything else remains though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK, I'm in. Will be in Dundrum at 10:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I wouldn't mind going tomorrow but I just don't trust my self-assembled bike enough yet so I think I'm going to restrict myself to spins close the home for the moment.

• Advertisement

cool looks like a good group tomorrow:
    TinyExplosions
    PlanetX
    me
    niceonetom
    El Tonto (+1 or alone?)
    RtD (?)
    no word from molly yet, we didn't go too hard last week did we?

kenmc wrote: »
    TinyExplosions
    PlanetX
    me
    niceonetom
    El Tonto (+1 or alone?)
    RtD (?)

I don't think we did :)

See you tomorrow!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'll be +1

So who are are the hammerheads in the group?

Don't look outside now. I'm thinking of staying in work for the weekend. Don't want to face that bloody weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think I'm going to do laps of Howth on Saturday instead of heading out to Wicklow. Much closer to home :)

• Advertisement

Don't look outside now. I'm thinking of staying in work for the weekend. Don't want to face that bloody weather.

Met Eireann:
    Rain will spread to all areas early tomorrow, turning heavy and persistent. Brighter weather with showers will follow. Continuing windy, with highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees.

Sounds lovely!

Raam wrote: »
    I think I'm going to do laps of Howth on Saturday instead of heading out to Wicklow. Much closer to home :)

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be starting at about 9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mollyontheweb

TinyExplosions
    PlanetX
    me
    niceonetom
    El Tonto (+1 or alone?)
    RtD (?)

hey guys... i just saw this thread now..
    wont be joining you this time.. considering the time it is now i dont think ill be getting up in a few hours to go for a spin in the rain
    enjoy it though, and ill hook up with yis again soon..
    ;)

Weather in dundrum at the mo is overcast but dry. Ground is dry too, so fingers crossed we get away without a soaking.

edit: DOH SPOKE TOO SOON :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I should be in Dundrum, I'll be the cycle ninja all in black on the blue FCR.

seeya there so
    red fcr

Damn. Is it raining out there? Still dry in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Sorry to have quit on you at Dundrum lads, but with the pissing rain, wind scraping the cheeks off my face, and the sky the colour of charcoal up ahead, I was slowly losing the will to live - never mind tackling hills in Wicklow. When I started to fall behind a bit my heart started to sink and I just couldnt face it in that weather.

Admittedly too I felt a little overwhelmed / under-kitted out / out of my depth when I saw you all had the clipless shoes and pedals, lyrca cycling shorts and tops, etc. I dont really have any of that gear. Next time I'll try and be better prepared, leave the bag with the spare tube and tyre irons at home, and hopefully it wont be lashing rain either.

flickerx wrote: »
    Admittedly too I felt a little overwhelmed / under-kitted out / out of my depth when I saw you all had the clipless shoes and pedals, lyrca cycling shorts and tops, etc. I dont really have any of that gear. Next time I'll try and be better prepared, leave the bag with the spare tube and tyre irons at home, and hopefully it wont be lashing rain either.

Don't loose heart. I was totally unmotivated today and only managed a couple of laps of Howth. The bad weather is hard to overcome. With regards to kit, it really is worth having some good stuff. People use it because it really works, and it makes you feel good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

KenMc is now defrosting in the shower. :) Don't think I've ever seen him so cold ...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

I never knew hailstones could hurt so much and I know I said it before but I'll say it again...waterproof socks my arse!!

flickerx wrote: »
    Sorry to have quit on you at Dundrum lads, but with the pissing rain, wind scraping the cheeks off my face, and the sky the colour of charcoal up ahead, I was slowly losing the will to live - never mind tackling hills in Wicklow. When I started to fall behind a bit my heart started to sink and I just couldnt face it in that weather.

No problem at all, it was a horrible horrible day out there... great now though, we should have waited till later!

I wouldn't worry too much about the gear. I'd say most of us have it cos it's really the best stuff for cycling, but at least on my behalf it may make me seem better than I am :)

I met Emty again on my way home. Was steaming down the Tallaght bypass and spotted him crossing it on his way home.

most miserable, wet cycle ever. But the bestest shower in the history of mankind to finish it off. Ahhhh the bliss.
    You only missed out on a wet, miserable, cold morning. It got nice for a bit up around Djouce and Sally, then it hailed. ow ow ow. could not feel fingers, was afraid they would break if I hit the brakes!
    Stats if anyone cares: 60.24km, 3h02m34, avg 19.8km/h, max 50.7, highest point 542m, total ascent 1194m

What happened to niceonetom and planetx?

Edit: Route here.

What happened to niceonetom and planetx?

Birdwatching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

What happened to niceonetom?

combination of too much red wine last night and too little courage this morning. a feel suitably ashamed of myself. really, i do.

fair play to yis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Morgans Dark Rum / Ginger Ale and squeeze a lime into it.

Getting my nads frozen off tomorrow morning instead with the Vets race.

Planet X wrote: »
    Morgans Dark Rum / Ginger Ale and squeeze a lime into it.

Getting my nads frozen off tomorrow morning instead with the Vets race.

Maybe it'll stay dry till tomorrow....

...As if!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Stats if anyone cares: 60.24km, 3h02m34, avg 19.8km/h, max 50.7, highest point 542m, total ascent 1194m

Edit: Route here.

Stats are very interesting, thanks. And your maps are great - I've used them for a few of my spins. What fancy equipment are you using to record the stats and then to upload them onto the route?

• Advertisement

i have a garmin forerunner 305, it's a gps heart rate monitor. it is more of a 'see where you have been' than a 'find your way around' sort of gps - it doesn't have maps on it, nor can you upload them to it, but you can get your route from it. MapMyRide has a feature where i can suck the data straight from the device.

Advertisement