Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evans cycles

Options
  • 26-03-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

as some of you may remember, I recently posted about my GF wanting to purchase a bike on-line. In the end she went for a Bianchi C2C Via Nirone (which my bro also has) from www.evanscycles.com.

They were very good in following up with ensuring she got her delivery, having phoned her two or three times to check. It took 5 working days to arrive and in the end the courier nicely agreed to deliver to an alternative address as we were not at home when he called.

It came fully assembled with the tires pumped.
    It came with a bottle cage+bottle (that might be a Bianchi thing as the bro got that also but he ordered from a German crowd), front and rear lights, a multi-tool and a bell :) (I think, legally, all bikes in Britain must be sold with a bell. It didn't last long)
    The handlebars had to be turned and the pedals attached.

All in all, a positive experience so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Nice bike.
    whatcha doin' with the bell? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I've bought a good bit of stuff from Evan's. Great service.!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

good service. ordered a bike online thru' them. Arrived in good condition and well worth it considering the saving you make over the equivalent here.

The key is to spot a bike in your lbs and try it our for size so you're happy and go online. Courier was a bit of a gob****e though as he began hauling on the bike box to get out from underneath some other boxes.

No problems with evans themselves though. Wouldn't really bother with smaller items as shipping negates the savings. Chainreaction is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

No problems with evans themselves though. Wouldn't really bother with smaller items as shipping negates the savings. Chainreaction is your only man.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone bought anything of chainreaction recently, I have placed three orders with them, the first over three weeks ago and when I check the website it tells me that my orders are being processed. I have e-mailed them a number of times but have got no reply.I know that one of the orders is for an out of stock item but it said that it would be back in stock between 5-10 days. That still doesnt explain the delay !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Has anyone bought anything of chainreaction recently, I have placed three orders with them, the first over three weeks ago and when I check the website it tells me that my orders are being processed. I have e-mailed them a number of times but have got no reply.I know that one of the orders is for an out of stock item but it said that it would be back in stock between 5-10 days. That still doesnt explain the delay !!

shoes by any chance?

i'm in the same boat - order's been processing for weeks and emails have gone unanswered.

standards are slipping... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I ordered some smaller items a few weeks ago and they arrived quick enough. No problems there for me.

niceonetom wrote: »
    shoes by any chance?

i'm in the same boat - order's been processing for weeks and emails have gone unanswered.

standards are slipping... :rolleyes:

Actually no - have ordered a new set of wheels, some energy bars, brake pads and degreaser - over 500 euro. The reason I went to them for the small bits and pieces is because they are usually very quick and I live about 35 miles from the nearest bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i should clarify that i've ordered loads of other stuff from them over the last while (including a bike!) and it's always turned up fairly promptly. the 5 - 10 days for out of stock items should probably be taken with a large grain of salt though. i do wish they'd answer my emails though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They took ages to get back to me on a warranty claim. I think they are taking on too much business.

Peculiar thing is - 20 minutes after my last post on this thread I got an -email fron chainreaction to say that two of my orders had been shipped. Even though when I checked my acoount on their website the two orders were under "processing".
    They must be regular visitors to this website !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

anything i order from them usually comes within three days of ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

No complaints from chainreaction although I've only ever ordered smaller items. Clothes and the like.

Have any of you order shoes online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Have used Evans on numerous occassions and bought small stuff like lights and mudguards to bigger things like bikes and I have to say their service has always been fantastic, so is their customer service.

A recent order of mine took over 20 days from chainreaction and when I finally got in contact with them they told me they were waiting on my brake cables which weren't currently in stock in the colour I requested! They never sent on the other items or rang me to see if I would take the brake cables in a different colour (which were in stock). In the end I had to take the order without the cables.

I still have no brake cables as I had to order them again and that order has now being processing for over a week with no explanation! My expierence lately has not been good but its hard not to go back when their prices are so low!!!!!

I have used ebay a lot more lately though and some items are cheaper even after paying for the postage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Placed my first order with Evans on Tuesday and received delivery on Friday which was great.

Ordered stuff from Chainreaction yesterday so will et you know if I have any probs with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Bought a nice cannondale on Evans a couple of years back - perfect service, and saved over 500 euro compared to Cycleways (including delivery costs).

The sad thing was, I actually went in to cycleways to buy the bike, visa at the ready, but didn't like the wheels and asked could I swap them out, and pay the difference. I was told straight off 'NO' as they wouldn't be able to sell the stock wheels easily. I literally couldn't believe it - end of negotiations.

I swallowed my trepedation and bought my first bike online, also bought my wheels of choice online and still had plenty of change, plus a decent set of spare wheels. (which I managed to sell as new for 200 euros).
    I've barely graced cycleways since - it's a shame, I must have bought about 7 or 8 bikes there over the previous years and sent numerous people to their shop to buy bikes.

All my cycle business, and it's considerable, as is a lot of cyclists, is now done on the Net. Chainreactioncycles are brilliant for most goods. Evans are great but as mentioned, postage costs means I wouldn't use them for anything other than an expensive sale bike or part. Probikekit.com and edinboroughcycles are good too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Money Shot wrote: »
    I was told straight off 'NO' as they wouldn't be able to sell the stock wheels easily.

I had kind of the opposite experience with them once. Was looking for a couple of replacement spokes. They directed me down to the workshop. I tell the guy in the workshop I'm looking for two rear driveside spokes for a Fulcrum Racing 7. He marches upstairs, into the stockroom, takes a brand new wheel, removes two spokes and sells them to me for 80 cents each!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

el tonto wrote: »
    I had kind of the opposite experience with them once. Was looking for a couple of replacement spokes. They directed me down to the workshop. I tell the guy in the workshop I'm looking for two rear driveside spokes for a Fulcrum Racing 7. He marches upstairs, into the stockroom, takes a brand new wheel, removes two spokes and sells them to me for 80 cents each!

I think it really depends on the days you get these guys(which in ways is a load of balls), lots of my mates buy gear from Cycleways and Cyclogical and said they never have hassle at all, personally speaking I don't buy anything from them as I find the staff in both, but particularly Cyclogical, couldn't be arsed to help you out.
    I'm scouting for a new bike but I think I'll be going to Evan's or Chainreaction. Coming from a purley road cycling background and knowing very little about full suspension bikes I went to both stores looking for some info..I got scowling looks from the sales guys, like its not their job to try and sell you the bike.
    As it happens I've learned more about bikes being on this forum than anywhere else, so when I decide on a new bike at least I'll have some decent knowledge, but it will be most definately purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I had my bike from wiggle.co.uk delivered in 3 days! Have to agree with at1withmyself abut e-bay, very handy for smaller stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Thumbs up for Evans.

Twice before - I needed two parts in a huge hurry. Both times they delivered earlier than expected.

Recommended.

Advertisement