Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime

• 26-03-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Kind of following on from the restaurant idea, do you suggest any good places to go on your lunch break from work, whether it be Carvery or a Sandwich or whatever.

I work in the Industrial estate and the regular haunts are...

Ramada - nice carvery around 10 euro from 12:30 onwards, sandwiches too
    Holy Cross - Carvery cant go wrong with Bangers and Mash on every day starts at 12:30 and again around 10 euro
    Cleaboy - Pub Grub and sandwiches and soup, they do a nice chicken curry madras on a Friday. From 9 - 10 euro. serve from 12
    Showboat - Another fine Carvery, portions nice size around 10 euro again

We dont usual venture into city centre due to the time it takes to park and get back to work again but the above are some nice ones to choose from.

Anyone have any other favourites?

Bazual

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Exchange on Ballybricken do nice food, carvery, soup, sandwiches etc. Good varied menu.

Price around €10.

You can get a lot of cops in there on their lunch break so be on your best behaviour:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

You can't beat The Mansion. Half portion for €7-00, more than enough on the plate.
    Alternative would be the Showboat, similar money again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

If ya fancy a bit of a drive Bellisimo in the Ardkeen centre is always nice or else if you're into carvery tuff there's always the Uluru or the Cove.Eddy Rockets is great as well if ya want to spend a fortune on a burger that will slip all over the place and ultimately destroy your clothes and make you look like a child eating a burger(maybe just me being a messy ****), burgers are lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Paddy Browns on Browns road, Ramada on the ORR, Fitzpatricks near morris's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The Showboat great - Same owners as the Mansion AFAIK, but I think the grub's always that bit fresher in the Showboat. Plus it's closer to town!

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The Showboat great - Same owners as the Mansion AFAIK, but I think the grub's always that bit fresher in the Showboat. Plus it's closer to town!

Wouldn't agree there, same owners ok, but food is as good if not better in the Mansion (great Chef, John). Also proper salad, sandwich & soup counter, where Phil makes up whatever you want. The salad/sandwich counter in the Showboat is very small with less options.

But both places are excellent and great value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

Easily the Three Shippes surely?

€6.50 for a half portion which is enough and they usually have all sorts on the menu, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken/Lamb Madras, Beef N Black Bean Sauce, Lovely Pastas etc & Roasts (and all that boring Irish grub)

Genuinely the best place I have EVER gone to for lunch. Been going there constantly for over two years now and I am usually extremely happy.

95% considering the value and array of choice.

Easily the Three Shippes surely?

€6.50 for a half portion which is enough and they usually have all sorts on the menu, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken/Lamb Madras, Beef N Black Bean Sauce, Lovely Pastas etc & Roasts (and all that boring Irish grub)

Genuinely the best place I have EVER gone to for lunch. Been going there constantly for over two years now and I am usually extremely happy.

95% considering the value and array of choice.

Must give it a try, have never been in there for grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

markymac wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree there, same owners ok, but food is as good if not better in the Mansion (great Chef, John). Also proper salad, sandwich & soup counter, where Phil makes up whatever you want. The salad/sandwich counter in the Showboat is very small with less options.

But both places are excellent and great value for money.

I get sick at the thought of eating in the mansion, when my family go there for lunch i usually make a sandwich for myself and just order a lucozade when i get there.

hate the old man stale smell also.

and its dark.

I get sick at the thought of eating in the mansion, when my family go there for lunch i usually make a sandwich for myself and just order a lucozade when i get there.

hate the old man stale smell also.

and its dark.

The place is packed every day, so that's what really tells the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

bazual wrote: »
    Cleaboy - Pub Grub and sandwiches and soup, they do a nice chicken curry madras on a Friday. From 9 - 10 euro. serve from 12

I'd never go back to that place again, the state of a dinner I got there one time. Also, friend of mine got food poisening there once. Once is too often for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

I used to go to The Mansion but it is gone terrible of late. Just because is is popular, doesn't not make it good quality/value. Another example of this is the Uluru.

Seriously Three Shippes is out on its own. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

markymac wrote: »
    The place is packed every day, so that's what really tells the story.

no that means its cheap and cheerful.

just leave it, we know they are your friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

lol

That's so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Revolution???

great carvery and the specials are great too like the full rack of ribs, almost bigger then the large plates they get served on! close to town and well priced

half portions are 5.90 and most dinners are 9.90

then theres the regualr menu with choices of sambos and paninis, great variation all the way though actually

Seriously Three Shippes is out on its own. :)

Like Tom Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

kryogen wrote: »
    Revolution???

great carvery and the specials are great too like the full rack of ribs, almost bigger then the large plates they get served on! close to town and well priced

half portions are 5.90 and most dinners are 9.90

then theres the regualr menu with choices of sambos and paninis, great variation all the way though actually

Yep, i just love the food in there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭miss deise

If u work in the Industrial, Paddy Browne's is fairly good. They're paninnis are massive, compared to the Cleaboy and the Ramada, where me and my work friends used to go till we discovered the wonder of Paddy's....

And No, I don't work there... I work in the Industrial, but the prices are good there and it's yummy food :D

miss deise wrote: »
    And No, I don't work there... :D

Give it a while and you'll be accused ok. Chip on his shoulder will be after you.:):rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

kryogen wrote: »
    Revolution???

just back from Revolution on your Ribs recommendation Kryogen
    UNReAL! huge portion, meaty, tasty, €14 all in and good service as always!
    no soccer today though - will have to do it for again Tomorrow for Liverpool Game!!
    Common the Reds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Had lunch in the Cove yesterday and was not really impressed, I had heard that is was very nice.

4 of us went, 2 had roast beef, 1 had seafood pie, 1 had pasta dish.

I thought the beef portions were a little on the small side and so did my mate.

The guy who got the seafood pie had to send it back, as it was cold and completely drenched in vinegar, way to overpowering.

He got the beef instead which looked a little undercooked but they only charged him half price for the hassle so that was pretty good of them.

Still would not entice me to go back for lunch again though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I often have lunch in Paddy Browns (on Paddy Browns Road). Its a carvery but the food and service is great. They do specials for students also. They have "Bangers & Mash" which I rarely come across and its great. They also do Roast, Chicken, Fish, Panninis etc. They have good desert to.

Highly recommend it, but note its a pub atmosphere and some may prefer a more restaurant feel.

I agree Sull, Pub grub is the best. If you are after bangers and mash you should definately try the holy Cross. they have it on every day and the portions are huge.

Went to Ramada yesterday and got spaghetti bolognese, very nice indeed.
    Food is always great in there and the toasted sandwiches and curly fries are only 6 euro.

Great Value.

B~

know uve hear from me on this before -
    i work in Parnell st - so
    Espresso - Pizza €12 ish or Pasta from €10
    Revolution - Chicken Pepper Sauce €9.50 and Banger & mash, onion gravy €8.50
    Kazbar - Steak €17
    Ginos - Pizza €10

i eat out most days - Revolution is the most varied and fast service (only get 45 mins for lunch) - Espress for best pizza in town
    and Bodega for most expensive and smallest portion!

Hi Folks,

Went to the Belfry last Friday and they had the nicest Spicy Meatballs with Noodles there. It was divine.....
    Had apple pie after it and that was lovely too. Highly recommend it.

Went to Becketts on the dunmore road today and again fantastic food for around a tenner. Steak sandwich was huge and the rest of the lads have chicken pascal. Everyone enjoyed the food so another good one to try.

Bazual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    I often have lunch in Paddy Browns (on Paddy Browns Road). Its a carvery but the food and service is great. They do specials for students also. They have "Bangers & Mash" which I rarely come across and its great. They also do Roast, Chicken, Fish, Panninis etc. They have good desert to.

Highly recommend it, but note its a pub atmosphere and some may prefer a more restaurant feel.

Methinks this is a good point. Definitely an out and out pub, and not the nicest pub in the world at that. But handy to the estate and have heard it's good food from a lot of people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Methinks this is a good point. Definitely an out and out pub, and not the nicest pub in the world at that. But handy to the estate and have heard it's good food from a lot of people.

During lunch most people are eating rather then drinking, but its not a restraunt feel as its in a pub - its carvery. If you get me. :p

Iv never been there after, so I have no idea what the pub is like. But the food is pretty good.

Just back from Geoffs(sp?) - had a nice bowl of soup which came with plenty of bread. Other half had her pannini (chicken tika) which she enjoyed. Only spotted that they did lunch when walking past it today!

• Advertisement

was too hungover for lunch today -
    but went with the girls to Revolution
    they had paninnis, and roast lunch -
    Chef guy talked me into a pancake with toffe ice crem, strawberries and chocolate sauce -
    feel all the better for it!
    and girls got jealous and had dessert too
    hats off to him - one hell of a sales man
    should be selling cars for Tom Murphy!!! lol

think ill go out again tonight!

Advertisement