Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate making purchasing decisions...

Options
  • 27-03-2008 12:08am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bloody annoying dilemma.

I'm looking at three rifles, but can only afford to buy two of them.

Option 1: SIG Arms S556. Conventional piston-operated 5.56mm rifle, uses STANAG magazines of which I have many. Cheapest of the bunch. 16" barrel.

Option 2: FN FS2000. Snazzy front-ejecting bullpup. Uses STANAG magazines, but to become CA-Legal it needs to have about a 5" muzzle brake attached to the end to reach the requisite 30". Would probably not buy a version with the snazzy optic in order to reduce costs. Most expensive of the bunch.

Option 3: MSAR STG556. Basically an improved Steyr AUG, made in the US. Would need to purchase proprietary magazines. 20" barrel version required for CA-legality. Middle of the price range.

I'm leaning towards 1 and 3. For 2 and 3 I'd almost certainly have to sell my M17.

So many rifles, so little money. <sigh>. I can't make up my mind. I think I'm going to cry...

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i'd have the sig if i had to pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Manic

You have absolutely no idea how much I would like to share your pain.

Lucky (allegedly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Bloody annoying dilemma.
    <snip>
    I never realised before that it's possible to hate someone I've never met, and who's 5000 miles away! :D

Anyhow, if/when I get to purchase a rifle of this type, it'll be for IPSC fun and games, so I think that'll push me towards a 'conventional' layout rather than a bullpup.
    If we could purchase firearms here for no other reason than 'I DO like the look of that', it'd be hard to go past the MSAR STG556.

Needless to say, I envy you your 'dilemma'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

I just googled the MSAR STG556 and this thread came up as the 6th result :D

And to echo the sentiments already expressed, good god I'm jealous :D

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    I just googled the MSAR STG556 and this thread came up as the 6th result :D
    Try Googling "SIG Arms S556".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Rovi wrote: »
    I never realised before that it's possible to hate someone I've never met, and who's 5000 miles away! :D

Anyhow, if/when I get to purchase a rifle of this type, it'll be for IPSC fun and games, so I think that'll push me towards a 'conventional' layout rather than a bullpup.
    If we could purchase firearms here for no other reason than 'I DO like the look of that', it'd be hard to go past the MSAR STG556.

Needless to say, I envy you your 'dilemma'.

I agree. A bullpup off the weak shoulder during an IPSC course of fire might make you wish you went for a standard AR style rifle. However the bullpup by nature would be very quick to index on mid range targets. I think an AR 15 with 16" barrel that has a a mid length gas system would be a good compromise & with a decent brake it should make follow up shots quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Rovi wrote: »
    Try Googling "SIG Arms S556".

Truly boards is the epicentre of the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd go for the FN but I'm biased, my hometown is 45 miles from Liege. Hard choice : Steyr and FN both have a rock solid reputation for quality. Maybe you can flip a coin :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just ordered the SIG 556, iron sight model, but I've an EOTech to put on it. Should be here middle of next week.

Definitely leaning in favour of selling the M17, will probably go for the MSAR if I can find one. Need to check out a few stores in the area.

NTM

Just ordered the SIG 556, iron sight model, but I've an EOTech to put on it. Should be here middle of next week.

Definitely leaning in favour of selling the M17, will probably go for the MSAR if I can find one. Need to check out a few stores in the area.
    This is getting perilously close to bragging, but we all know that MM would never stoop to such a thing. ;)

Seriously, congratulations on your purchase; would that it were so simple here. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Yeah Rovi, but isn't it a small price to pay for having no crime in Ireland? I mean if they issued licences for WMDs like the SIG Arms S556 we'd probably have fellas shooting up housing estates in Limerick with High Powered Machine Guns or families murdered in County Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lads, if you want an S556, apply for one. There are rifles like it licenced at the moment in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Wouldn't get too carried away Dimebag. All the stuff Manic Moran is after mentioning are basiclly semi-auto rifles that wouldn't pass the "Idonlikethelookodat" test with the average Super. In fairness now, they're that powerfull that they aren't even deer-legal.

As for no crime, it's Ireland planet Earth we're referring too isn't it ?

P.S. Sorry if I came accross a bit sharp. not intended to be. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think he was being a wee bit tongue in cheek there Stevie. ;)

Advertisement