Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get over the nerves

Options
  • 27-03-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Doing my first play in a long, long time (about 8 years since musicals in school) and had my second rehearsal tonight. I found myself really nervous and rushing through my lines, and honestly, I sucked and was mortified by the end. I know I can do better, I just need to control the nerves. Anybody got some tips or what have you? I'm worried I'm gonna suck big time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

For the time being all that I can suggest are different warm up techniques... the more relaxed and quiet your techniques are the more calm that you wil be (at least thats how Ifind it!) High energy warm ups are very well and good but they do exactly that- get everyones energy going i.e you get a bunch of hyper actors!

If you can envision (I believe this is a stanislavksy technique but to be honest Im not sure) your character in front of you, what they are wearing whta there hair is like etc.... just standing there watching for a few minutes... and then imagine that character is a cast. and when you are read ystep forward into that cast- your no longer you you are your character Etc...

For future reference try maybe research MIchael Chekhov and "the feeling of ease" there is a great book by Franc Chamberlain. But there are loads of websites online.....

Maybe participating in group improv (nothing too silly) would be a way of focusing As A Group. That way ye can learn to feed off of eachothers energy. Nervous energy is great as long as you maintain a focus.... the use of "Soft focus" is definatly recommened as then you are not concentrating on the energy...

I dont know if any of this is going to help you! Im just picking out bits and pieces that we did for our last performance!

And remember to enjoy yourself!! Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Thank you for the suggestions ABitDramatic! I'll definitely be looking into Chekhov's stuff. I've heard about that before, so it'll be worth looking into. I guess my problem last night was I just read the lines straight off the page instead of actually trying to understand the character. It's just that it's a small part and requires me to get quite upset over the space of just a page of dialogue. But then I know that I have to get into the mindset of the character that spreads beyond that little chunk of dialogue, if you get me. I need to stop being self-conscious and start being more character-conscious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've been there, and Ive had to ask to go outside the room the get the appropriate emotion up.
    Director was very supportive, and this was during professional training.
    Don't be afraid to do this, I was afraid of being awkward, but a good director will be okay with it.
    Well done on getting back out there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

Yeah I know the feeling, recently I was part of a play that was 8 one acts one after the other and they were all very angry etc. etc. and you only had like 5 minutes to make an impact... Tis tough but Im sure youll figure it out!!
    I dont know if this would help but when your practing your lines on your own try just learning the entire dialogue (including other peoples lines not just the cues) It helps you feel more emotionally involved and you can find the natural breaks better!!
    best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Yunee

It's very important to concentrate on your breathing for this, take longer deeper breaths and concentrate on saying the words slower, even when you are looking over your script break the words into pieces and practice it that way ^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

Hi
    I'm doing a perfoming arts course,we work on breathing techniques using yoga postures and also tai chi and a bit of chi gong.I find it really,really helps.
    Assuming you've put in the preparation work for the role when the nerves start before the performance(s) I've found these techniques invaluable and even during a show when my mind started messing me about when I went back to the breathing I was able to get through it.PM me for more details if you like:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Doing my first play in a long, long time (about 8 years since musicals in school) and had my second rehearsal tonight. I found myself really nervous and rushing through my lines, and honestly, I sucked and was mortified by the end. I know I can do better, I just need to control the nerves. Anybody got some tips or what have you? I'm worried I'm gonna suck big time!

Hi Sanjuro

Nerves are perfectly naturual before you start a performance.
    Everyone gets them.
    Dont try to control them, feed off them.
    We have been told many times in drama schools that nervousness will engage you better in the performance.
    I find the main cause of nervousness is just waiting to go on.
    When you kick off with your first few lines, you will notice the nerves will subside and you will start to enjoy yourself.

Advertisement