Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC graduates??

• 27-03-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hey
    Are there any UCC civil eng graduates here???
    I'm applying for this course next year but I heard today that it is entirely theoretical...

Would this effect my chances of getting a job??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hey
    Are there any UCC civil eng graduates here???
    I'm applying for this course next year but I heard today that it is entirely theoretical...

Would this effect my chances of getting a job??

Trinity is a largely theoretical. Hasnt done me and alot of other people any harm job wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

and what are you doing now?? what kind of work? Did trinity have a work placement?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

and what are you doing now?? what kind of work? Did trinity have a work placement?

Thanks

I do development planning and infrastructure design. I've learnt most of what I do from people I've worked for over the years.

I wouldnt be to worried with what you learn in college because chances all you'll be learning all over again when you start your first job. If you work for a decent company you'll be placed with some one with a bit of experience who will guide you through your development as an engineeer

Turns out that there is 2 people who went to UCC who I work with. One is a grad and the other has been finsihed for a good while.

The grad has had no problem doing the work she is doing now but its nothing like what she did in college but its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

cool....Did you get to go on a work placement?

• Advertisement

cool....Did you get to go on a work placement?

After I left school i did all my summer work in engineering offices. 3 summers in the Irish Rail Structural Design Section and 1 summer in a US civil engineering/town planning/architects office (they did everything was a great job).

I think its very important to do work like that while your in college

Advertisement