Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

llewellyn houses

Options
  • 27-03-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi
    I was looking at a buying a house in llewellyn but I've noticed that a few of the houses I've looked at have several cracks (also flaking paintwork) on the outside walls. I also noticed that the 2 houses I looked at had sunken kitchen floors. Is there a problem with the build quality in this estate ? Any advise from residents would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You should see if it has been or is currently being monitored for subsidence. I think you should be able to get the info from the estate agency.

If it is currently being monitored, stay away. Cracks in the buildings are a sign of subsidence so you should 100% find out what's going on before even putting down a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

had a survey done on one of the houses and it said the floor had sunk but that it may have been due to lack of compaction of the hardcore. On the other hand it suggested it should be monitored for further sinking!!! given that other houses in the area (i used to rent there so I'm familiar with the area) seem to have flaking paintwork and cracking to the exterior I am worried that there may be a problem with the land the estate is built on. Also the concrete paths on the property are also cracked and have subsided in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd avoid it tbh.

The costs involved in repairing a houses damaged by subsidence are astronomical and it sounds as though these houses will just give you problems down the line.

Also, it'll cost much more to insure the house had it been monitored in the past/is undergoing monitoring currently, and the claims excess on a lot of policies shoots up to about 1500-2k in the event of subsidence, which would obviously bring your premium up in the years to come.

So overall, it sounds like the house is just going to be one massive expense after sales and there definitely could be quite serious structural problems down the line, so I'd just stay away if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I live nearby, wouldnt worry about it too much to be honest - they've been standing for 20+ years with no problems its not as if they're new builds.

I'd be more worried about anti-social behaviour, used to be full of knacks when I was growing up, but I dont think that the case anymore as they've moved on.

Hi, thanks for replies, I must admit I am freaked out about the possibility of subsidence - trouble is I cant really afford anywhere else in the area, broadford is much more expensive for instance. Half of me does agree that the houses (built in early 1970's) have been standing a long time but then half of me thinks that maybe the subsidence issue is just going to start showing itself now. Is it possible for one house in an estate to experience this issue or would all houses around have the same issue?

• Advertisement

Hi just so I dont incorrectly put anyone off llewellyn - there is no issue with the land in llewellyn - I was misinterpreting the report - spoke to the engineer and he reassured me that the sinking floor was nothing to do with subsidence, just poor workmanship from years ago that is ok now. Anything else was just bad upkeep

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Thank god i back on to that estate, you had me nervous there for a minute.

Advertisement