Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Natural Horsemanship" movement

• 27-03-2008 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone! I'm interested in knowing what you think and feel about the "Natural Horsemanship" movement in worldwide equestrian circles these days. What is your personal experience with that?
    Cheers,
    Maggie

What do you think of the Natural Horsemanship movement? 12 votes

I think its great!
    8% 1 vote
    I think its rubbish!
    25% 3 votes
    It has its moments..
    25% 3 votes
    Its just a marketing ploy
    25% 3 votes
    It doesn't deserve a poll.....
    16% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I wouldn't call it a 'movement', more like a clever marketing ploy.

NH is old knowledge in shiny new packaging filled with buzz words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMaggie

Interesting - tell me more about your personal experience with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I agree with dr. evil tbh. It annoys me that people can package something that has been around for years and call it their own. My grandfather was the greatest natural horseman i have ever seen but he didn't flute around the country claiming he invented it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

togster wrote: »
    I agree with dr. evil tbh. It annoys me that people can package something that has been around for years and call it their own. My grandfather was the greatest natural horseman i have ever seen but he didn't flute around the country claiming he invented it.

:D Well put!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

MsMaggie wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm interested in knowing what you think and feel about the "Natural Horsemanship" movement in worldwide equestrian circles these days. What is your personal experience with that?
    Cheers,
    Maggie

Well I think its a great way of thinking about and working with horses. I'm very much a traditionalist in many ways, but I have Kelly Marks' book "Perfect Manners" and have used it to very good effect in the past.

I do agree that a lot of it is a bit faddish (I'm just not into PNH at all). I'm also reading Monty Roberts autobiography atm.

I wouldnt write it off at all. I think it is always good to read about different approaches to doing things and absorb them and apply to our own experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I think Parelli etc. is a load of money making bullsh*t!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMaggie

Um, perhaps I didn't ask the question very well. What I'm interested in is everyone's personal experiences with "Natural Horsemanship", both in practice and in theory. What is your concept of/ definition of "Natural Horsemanship" in theory, and how do you use it practically? Examples and specifics would be particularly fascinating to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fidler23

Its not bull its just refreshing everyones memories that we dont need fancy gadgets to get our horses to perform well and the best way to bring our horses around to our way of thinking is to do it naturally I think in todays society the basics are forgotten about so its really no harm in reviving natural horsemanship:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Isn't the carrot stick a 'fancy gadget'? as well as the great big inflatable ball in Parelli.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. NH becomes a danger when a novice sees a demo on it and think they can work/train/fix any horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fidler23

ah i see where your coming from doctor evil very nice point and to tell the truth i hadnt thought about it from that perspective.. still think its not a bad idea just maybe not for everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

Ok, well I agree with all of you!!! :) Esp with Dr evil about a novice seeing a demo and then thinking they can do it - very dangerous. I don't like demos because of that and other reasons which deal more with the instant results required which may not be in the horses best interests. Alibear - yes one or two NH trainers do go about as if they 'invented it' which as you pointed out is complete rubbish :) They promoted it and made their version of it accessible. Parelli (one of MANY thousands of trainers out there) makes a strong point that he didn't invent it.

BUT to really figure out NH you've got to get past the trainers egos (the best ones dont have any ego by the way, thats how you can recognise them) and get to the horsemanship.

Right, here’s how I got slightly into NH (but I’m still traditional too by the way!!)

My grandfather was great with horses too. I rode about on ponies for years and hunted, pony clubbed, hunter-trialled, did some dressage tests etc :) All great fun, loved my horses, all various ponies & horses worth their weight in gold etc   When I got my first shetland my first instructor (I was 6!) taught me that you should always use light hands when riding.

But……. the problem arose when doing my B test in pony club and having to ride my horse in a double bridle with the arms pulled out of me, & bleeding hands (yes seriously, and the horse felt like about 3 tons in my hands) just so we looked like we should nearly broke my heart. I could ride and jump, but the part about how to bring on a horse doing flatwork (the basics of everything!!!!) with softness & lightness was missing. Maybe I was in the wrong place but I didn’t know of anyone who could teach my & my lovely hunter hwo to go 'on the bit' with the draw reins, double bridles, etc, etc.

So yes I could ride & jump, but I wasn’t comfortable with how I was expected to reach training goals. So I got my B test, then went back to jumping, riding out at home, I NEVER wanted to put my horse through that kind of training again – it probably wasn’t even that severe in most folks eyes, but I just couldn’t pull on those reins like that. I knew it wasn’t right.

I stumbled across a trainer out in NZ who by pure fluke did NH along with everything else they did, and they showed me simple ways to being on a horse which had more softness & feel & lightness than I had been taught before. Because they worked well and I could also see the results quickly, I added them into my training.

NH is like anything else - there's great bits and there's awful bits, I do agree with the previous posters. Same as your bog standard horsemanship - you see great practioners and then the ones that make you go 'ouch'. I’ve seen some NH trainers and thought – no way mate, you’re having a laugh.

The skill for the human is to pick the best skills & techniques and use them. Doesn’t matter if you learnt them from your Grandad or an Australian cowboy. if they work for you .......

Also - its not about the style you use - its about what’s inside you - my Dads not NH but he was brought up to know that you get the best out of a horse to treat them fairly. Its about how you are - if you've got feel, empathy for the horse and an ability to read & understand your horse, you'll be a great trainer no matter where you picked up your skills.

As for trainers - I don't go by my disclipline / style they teach - if they can teach me something useful and make learning fun and productive for me & my horse then I'm all for it. If they're crap (nh or otherwise, you get crap teachers everywhere!) then that will be my only lesson with them.

So maybe judge the trainer alright – you don’t like the way Parelli flogs dvds, you think the Monty join up is a waste of time, and fair enough  but there are good, even *great* teachers everywhere if you look hard enough for them, that are true horsepeople and aren’t out to rip you off – and you do get those type of people in every walk of horse life.

And the good 'NH' type people. dont even like to be called 'natural'/ To be honest, the word natural menas very little these days, as it says a lot but says nothign at all, as people ahve so many different interpretations of it. In my book there's two kinds of horsemanship - good horsemanship and bad horsemanship.

The best I can recommend is to go by word of mouth. I’m an experienced rider but some of the stuff I did in Oz was so simple and worked so well I nearly fell over a few times in amazement the stuff was so easy - but I’d never thought of doing it that way.

I've met lots of horse people (both traditional and natural) who can do stuff, but they NO IDEA WHY they are doing stuff, so it all gets a bit messy.

If you know WHY, and you realise that no one will ever know it all about horses so you'd better try to keep on learning, you've got the potential to be a very talented horse person. Doesn’t matte if your NH or traditional Irish, or came up through UK riding schools, owned your first horse at 3 or 50, do western, or dressage, only hunt every Sunday or whatever.

Anyway!  If anyone’s interested in how I learnt to go 'on the bit' without the double bridle!! :) here's a write up of how I did it......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How can I get 'on the bit' nicely and easily with no gadgets, side-reins, double bridles or over bending and without needing arms of steel is a very common question.

‘On the bit’ isn’t just one thing. It’s actually lots of small things. When you put them all together then you get the rounded back, the engaged hindquarters, the vertical head flexion and the softness and suppleness and ease of movement that all come together under the ‘on the bit’ catchphrase.

The big question though before you begin, is why do you want to go on the bit?

Do you want your horse to look pretty? Do you want your horse to resemble a picture in a training book? Do you want to do it because people expect you to?

Or do you understand that to go ‘on the bit’ is really about developing an equestrian athlete who is physically prepared to be as successful as possible in your chosen equestrian pursuits?

Train your horse so he can do his job to the best of his ability while minimizing the risks of injury. Prepare him physically and mentally to be a top class athlete, whether you hack out with friends or compete internationally.

Your horse is an athlete.

To prepare an athlete you first need to make sure his whole body is soft, supple and flexible, and ready for your chosen equestrian discipline, whether it’s western, hunting, jumping, dressage, polocrosse, etc.

Imagine your horse is a gymnast. Before every performance, a gymnast needs to warm up their muscles and make sure every part of their body is flexible. It’s the same for horses.

For the best results when you are in competitions, riding for pleasure or practicing at home, first start by checking if your horse’s body is soft and supple all over.

Can you move his head and neck on their own? Can you move just the back legs? Can you move just the front legs? Can your horse take a step back? Can your horse take a step forward? Can your horse take a step sideways? And can your horse do all of these things from the lightest of cues showing softness through his body, without any arguments, braces or tense muscles?

It may sound complicated, but all of these things are the basics any horse should be able to do before you go for a hack, compete in your local dressage competition or hit the road for the national showjumping championships in Dublin. And the good news is that they are all pretty easy to do.

I teach all of these on the ground first, but if you know how to teach them in the saddle that’s fine too.

1. Lateral flexion – head and neck turned to one side - groundwork.

When riding on a circle, your horse’s head and neck should follow the arc of the circle. You can practise this on the ground first to get it right by asking your horse to turn his head a little while he is standing still. Don’t over bend, just ask for a little.

2. Hindquarter yield – groundwork.

A hindquarter yield involves moving the back legs in a circle around the front legs, which remain relatively still. Working properly on the bit means you need a soft flexible horse all over. The first thing you need to do is teach your horse to hindquarter yield on the ground. This also encourages the horse to step his hind legs under himself, similar to what you will be looking for soon. Hill work is also good to get the hind end engaged and working under the horse.

3. Forequarter yield – groundwork.

A forequarter yield involves moving the front legs in a circle around the hind legs, which remain relatively still. It is very good to loosen up your horses shoulders and take the weight of the forehand.

Imagine your horses back is long and straight like a dressage whip. Someone is standing in front of you holding both ends of the whip. You place your hand on the middle of the whip and press lightly downwards. The middle goes down, and both ends go up. If this was a horse, his head would be up, his shoulders would be tense and stuck, his back would be hollow, and his hindquarters wouldn’t be under him.

Now look at that straight dressage whip again. Put your hand under the middle of it and press upwards. Now the middle is raised and the ends are lower. If this was a horse, his head would be down, his shoulders would be free moving and raised and his back rounded, and his hindquarters would be underneath him.

A horse which is tense or defensive or stiff will often have both front feet stuck into the ground. This means the shoulders will be braced and the head will be up. It will be very difficult to ask a horse like this to backup or to turn his front end.

If you can get the front end moving independently then the forelegs won’t be stuck into the ground any more, the shoulders will free up and the back will be physically able to round. You’ll also find you are getting much longer steps with the two front legs. Your horse will cover ground more economically (fewer strides) and it will be more comfortable for the rider.

4. Backup (reverse) – groundwork.

Backing up is a very good exercise to get weight off your horse’s forehand, and is also very useful as part of training a horse that very light pressure on the reins means slow down. Like the forequarter yield, if your horse’s shoulders are braced or locked you’ll see this immediately when you ask them to take a step backwards from a light cue.

5. Sidepass and soft ribs – groundwork.

The sidepass is when the horse walks sideways. You get this by doing the hindquarter yield and the forequarter yield at the same time. The sidepass is very important. Your horse needs to start to understand that a little pressure with one leg while you’re riding means that he needs to wrap his ribs around that leg.
    Often times when you start doing this with a horse, if you put on one leg your horse will start to go faster without bending his body. Instead we need to train your horse that while light pressure from your two legs do indeed mean ‘go faster’, light pressure with just one leg means ‘go sideways’.

So when you’re circling if you want to go from a walk to a trot, put on two legs briefly until you’re in trot. Then take them off again as its your horse’s job to maintain this gait, not yours. Then when you want that bend in his body like the circle, just put on your inside leg lightly and your horse will stay at the same pace, but gently arc his ribs around your inside leg.

This is also known as ‘soft ribs’, and is crucial to be able to do in order to work towards ‘on the bit’. Lateral flexion (bend in the neck) plus soft ribs (bend through the rest of the body) performed together, is the final step you do before going on the bit.

6. Repetition.

Repeat these in the saddle, until each is good, soft and easy on both reins. Conformation plays a small part but every horse has potential.

7. ‘On the bit’.

To be able to go ‘on the bit’ as it’s known locally, all of the things above need to have been done already. You should now be riding a horse who you can hindquarter yield, forequarter yield, backup lightly, sidepass, and circle on both reins with his full body (from poll to dock) arced in the same way as that circle. In the beginning you can work on very small circles. If you can do a small circle, the big circles will be easy.
    The next step is teaching your horse how you want him to carry his head. Soft ribs and lateral flexion equals vertical flexion. To work on this walk your horse in a circle, maybe 10 or 15 metres.
    Because of your inside leg, his ribs are soft (practise your sidepassing), causing him to arc around your inside leg from shoulder to hindquarter.

Your inside hand is gently asking for his head and neck to turn towards the inside. Your outside leg and hand do nothing at all.

There is a light contact on the inside rein as you maintain that inside flexion. Every now and again your horse will reposition his head either up or down slightly as he moves around. If your horse repositions it upwards, just keep that little bit of tension in the inside rein. If he repositions it downwards, loosen that inside rein completely. You are rewarding this behaviour with an immediate release of pressure.

You are teaching your horse that if he lowers his head a little, you are going to loosen that rein. If he keeps it where it is, or puts his head up, that rein is going to stay as it is. Remember, this is all just done in the walk. You’ll end up really concentrating waiting for the next split second when he gives his head a little. It’s actually quite fun!

Once your horse has started to figure this out, you can refine it a little and only release the rein totally when his head is lowered, and his nose is perpendicular to the ground. At the beginning it’s a great idea to have a friend watching who can tell you each time he does it, as it can be difficult to see it from the saddle if you’re not used to how it feels.

8. The final result.

Your horse’s shoulders are free, so his back is able to round and you have lovely athletic long strides.
    Working on the circle, his body is arced around your inside leg, and his head and neck are flexed slightly inwards.
    Your horse has started to figure out that if he drops his head a little and brings his nose in a bit, that you release pressure on the inside rein (you're not using the outside rein at all). Now he is inclined to do this by himself, dropping his head in, rounding his back, and his hindquarters have started coming in under him a lot more than before.

From your perspective, light pressure with your inside leg automatically results in an arced horse. A light cue from you on the inside rein will result in your horse adjusting his head position to where you want, which is followed immediately by a release of pressure by you on that inside rein. When your horse comes down ‘on the bit’, you’ve actually got no weight at all in your hands.

While I say ‘on the bit’ you can actually do all of these things bitless. Keep it simple and you’ll have a relaxed, balanced, supple, soft horse who floats over the ground.

Now thats what I'm talking about.

Excellent sensible and well-informed post Ell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

With NH I just like the fact that there is another way of training horses rather than the old way I see a lot of, I realise it has been around for a long time but I prefer those methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Ell, what you described is exactly what I do with all our horses, be they youngsters or more seasons horses - eventers, hunters, etc. But I don't do it for hours on end with them, day in, day out. I do it every so often, to keep them relaxed and supple. The fact that it's done regularly, but not overdone, the horses don't pre-empt what I'm trying to do (there's nothing worse for both horse and rider), they don't get bored of it and they still think it's fun (ie - something different).

It's something I've done for years, since I was about 4 or 5, but didn't realise it's now called something different and being used as a money-making scheme by some. I've always used psychology to get a horse to do something rather than forcing him. Anyway, if you go down the latter route, he's probably going to win, being much bigger and stronger...

It's always better to get a horse to 'give' rather than having to 'ask'. That way they feel much better about themselves and perform better (though I do acknowledge that, while the ideal situation, it isn't always feasible).

Hiya convert :) if you've been doing this stuff since you were 4 or 5 thats briliant, you sound like a very talented horse person :) But I think those who have natural ability, empathy for the horse, and had briliant teachers from the age of 4 or 5 are hard to come by.

So for the rest, maybe who started in their teens/twenties at riding schools, or like me had empathy but were missing the really good teacher, if we find a really good teacher (of any type, NH, trad, whatever) we'll learn what we can to improve our horsemanship.

Agree some of the prices for stuff are crazy, but on the other hand people wont pay for the stuff if they dont want to, or will find cheaper alternatives that work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

yes, so true!
    My attitude is that if the desired results is achieved without harming the horse then it does not matter what method is used. If a horse is ridden in a bridle and saddle and working well why try to get him to turn using feathers?!
    For example we have a horse, 17.2 in the yard that no one else can clip but me. the answer- nh? no good old fashioned horsemanship. i have built a relationship with this horse on trust and respect and he allows me to work with him.

A few weeks ago I watched a NH 'student' waste an hour trying to catch a horse Nh style that we could have cought in 2 minutes using a bucket of food. yes, NH may have its place and respect to those who follow it but i prefer to be practical.

NH may have its place and respect to those who follow it but i prefer to be practical.

How is NH not practical though?

And who turns their horse with feathers?

Personally I find certain NH techniques to be extremely practical.... but if it takes a bucket to catch a horse, I'll use a bucket.

I have been trying to look into NH more and i have to say it still annoys me. Even the name "natural horsemanship". Good horsemanship is common sense. I don't need to buy a book ar go to a seminar to see someone tell me how to catch a horse. Anyone who has been around horses for a long time, will know how important it is to know how horses work, how they think. Its not that i inheritantly disagree with the techniques outlined by NH, its the fact that the techniques are packaged and sold to people as NH inventions. These techniques belong to every horse person. Common sense is it at the fore front of everythin we should attempt to do with horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

I have been trying to look into NH more and i have to say it still annoys me. Even the name "natural horsemanship". Good horsemanship is common sense. I don't need to buy a book ar go to a seminar to see someone tell me how to catch a horse. Anyone who has been around horses for a long time, will know how important it is to know how horses work, how they think. Its not that i inheritantly disagree with the techniques outlined by NH, its the fact that the techniques are packaged and sold to people as NH inventions. These techniques belong to every horse person. Common sense is it at the fore front of everythin we should attempt to do with horses.

I am in total agreement with togster here. I also find it an irratation that on every equestrian forum, there are NH "experts" who keep jumping in to every thread to contradict every thing that is being said. Often to the point of destroying the whole discussion in progress, so that it ens up as an NH discussion. They completely ignore the fact that they are just discovering what a lot of good horsemen already know.

And some of what they preach is so basic it makes you wonder how long they have actually been round horses.

Sorry, I am not a fan.

The attitude that their way is the ONLY was is very irratating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuper

I'm new in this forum, but this post caught my attention. Feel free to ignore me if you wish since Im new, just thought I'd throw my two cents in! :D

Most NH trainers that I've seen in person do not claim to have invented it. Most acknowledge that they are using old "tried and true" methods. Thier ploy is that they are trying to make it like "horsemanship for dummies," i.e. for people that have no horsey common sense.

That being said, I don't really like Pat Parelli! :rolleyes:

I have trained my horses with a little of this and that I have picked up over the years, but incorporated a few NH trainer's techniques. I really like most of John Lyons and GaWaNi PonyBoy's points. But I do not use them exclusively.

I do agree with those of you who have said that NH techniques can be dangerous in the hands of over-confident amatuers, but from what I have seen personally, most of those lose confidence when it comes to actual saddle time, and usually just have very well behaved horses on the ground that are not broke to ride!

I got my first horse when I was 22. He was an untrained Mustang. I had only started one other horse, and that was with much supervision and assistance from a professional. NH did help me get my Mustang going (when I had no professional help) and now he is one of the best horses I have ever ridden! But I do have common sense, and I think that is definitely required in order to train a horse.

All in all, I would recommend someone looking into it, and picking and choosing the aspects that they like, and leave the rest. But PLEASE do not spend a ton of money on the carrot stick or other such nonsense! A regular lunge whip would do!

P.S. I live in the USA, and it is VERY common around here for some people to be so wrapped up in NH that they look down thier noses at people who do not religiously follow the methods. I am against any kind of cult following, and I think that's what it becomes for some people! Kinda scary!

• Advertisement

Good points tuper and welcome!!

ell wrote: »

8. The final result.

Your horse’s shoulders are free, so his back is able to round and you have lovely athletic long strides.
    Working on the circle, his body is arced around your inside leg, and his head and neck are flexed slightly inwards.
    Your horse has started to figure out that if he drops his head a little and brings his nose in a bit, that you release pressure on the inside rein (you're not using the outside rein at all). Now he is inclined to do this by himself, dropping his head in, rounding his back, and his hindquarters have started coming in under him a lot more than before.

From your perspective, light pressure with your inside leg automatically results in an arced horse. A light cue from you on the inside rein will result in your horse adjusting his head position to where you want, which is followed immediately by a release of pressure by you on that inside rein. When your horse comes down ‘on the bit’, you’ve actually got no weight at all in your hands.

While I say ‘on the bit’ you can actually do all of these things bitless. Keep it simple and you’ll have a relaxed, balanced, supple, soft horse who floats over the ground.

so well put! and I can confirm this works as its how I have been thought to ride. My RI is not in anyway NH, shes someone who has been doing this for years and years and understands how horses work. Ive been learning from her for about 12 years and its only now in the last couple of years that I have really grasped riding with an open knee and a soft hand. I am now able to get up on many horses and have them work well (I get asked to do it sometimes as i love my flatwork). I was riding a friends 16hh horse last night and it went great he was asking me how I did it and I was trying to explain that as a 5'2" 8 stone girl Im never going to win a battle of wills with a horse that size nor would I want to. Instead when I think about where my legs are and ride the horse into a soft hand his reaction is to round up as he has nothing to pull against.

Im shocked at how many horses and ponies Ive been asked to get up on where 'they wont go on the bit' and all thats wrong is that the horse has learnt to pull against the person pulling them. stop pulling the horse, think about what your body is doing, use your legs ro ride into soft hands and its a whole different story. I will never be a rider with a perfect position but I have learned to be really effective thanks to this RI

Thank you Ell for putting that so well!

fits wrote: »
    How is NH not practical though?

And who turns their horse with feathers?

Personally I find certain NH techniques to be extremely practical.... but if it takes a bucket to catch a horse, I'll use a bucket.

it was on horse and country one night parelli had these people riding with no bridle and turning the horses with feathers instead jebus it was the most bizarre thing ever! My horse turns perfectly well in a bridle so I dont feel teh need to retrain with feathers!. Togsters post put it v well. Really natural horsemanship is common sense and often old fashioned methods. using a snaffle and learning to ride correctly for example as opposed to slapping a new fangled type of bit in the horses mouth - NH , no. traditional common sense - yes.

Its not practical when people waste hours twatting about trying out mad ways of doing things for an age instead of just going with what works. (following horse round arena for an hour to catch it vs going out with a bucket and catching it in 2 minutes). Its just my opinion, Im a v practical person. Ironically a lot of the things I do with my mare- teaching her to stand untied with an open stable door, to follow me without a headcollar and learrope etc would be considered NH, but Ive never studied it - to me its all just part of building a relationship with my horse.

Now if you have a horse where the normal ways does not work then of course I understand looking for an alternative.

I have total respect for other peoples ways of doing things but to me NH is the scientology of horse techniques - followers seem desperate to force their beliefs on others. Love and let live I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Gwenneh

Natural Horsemanship...whoo. Being in the US at the moment I've dealt with retraining more than my fair share of horses who have been through this method of "training".

When done correctly; that is to say, followed by a person who has at least some vague clue about horses in general (my experience is that generally NH is subscribed to by middle aged women owning their first horse who have no idea how to train/work with/handle such an animal at all, and as such shouldn't be attempting ANY training, much less NH!) it can produce spectacular results. As several posters have said and I honestly can't stress enough, NH is comprised of old knowledge in new packaging. It's not bad knowledge, it's just that 99.9% of the people I see who practice it (and who eventually hand their now-unmanageable horses over for re-training) are training it for the wrong reasons. "Oh it's natural, it must be good!" :mad:

I think my whole problem with NH in and of itself is that it markets itself as a training system and is used by people who shouldn't be training. A few DVDs, a book, and a Carrot Stick ($49.95, act now!) does NOT a trainer make, and giving the impression that it does leads to dangerous results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Gwenneh wrote: »

(my experience is that generally NH is subscribed to by middle aged women owning their first horse who have no idea how to train/work with/handle such an animal at all, and as such shouldn't be attempting ANY training, much less NH!)

I think my whole problem with NH in and of itself is that it markets itself as a training system and is used by people who shouldn't be training. A few DVDs, a book, and a Carrot Stick ($49.95, act now!) does NOT a trainer make, and giving the impression that it does leads to dangerous results.

I couldn't agree more. That tends to be my experience too. You hear these people pontificating about how they trained their horse using these methods and how they had to retrain them after somebody else etc, etc and it all sounds very impressive.... Then you actually see them on the horse or working with it and they can barely rise to the trot!!!!! :eek:

Mind you, the only caveat I will give it is that it is an extremely gentle way of training, so at least the less-informed practitioners aren't doing their horses any harm! They might end up with said horse running rings around them, but it's not cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

some of the teachings of nh are basic common sense in fairness, i dont agree with the whole monty roberts way of breaking in a horse within half a hour, theres no way a horse can be broken dat fast, i reckon dere traind already!!!!

kick-on wrote: »
    way of breaking in a horse within half a hour, theres no way a horse can be broken dat fast, i reckon dere traind already!!!!

Totally agree. It depends what you define as "broken" though. For me, it's the whole process of handling and finally sitting on the horse. The best horses i ever sat on were one's handled from an early age and taught to trust people on the ground first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

The best horses i ever sat on were one's handled from an early age and taught to trust people on the ground first.

never a truer word spoken!

you have to build them up from the bottom, and that means starting when they are nearer the ground!

skink wrote: »
    never a truer word spoken!

you have to build them up from the bottom, and that means starting when they are nearer the ground!

ye dats true i spose but sumtyms i find they get spoilt if handled 2 much, ive seen 4 yo horses whove barely been handled turn ou quieter than horses who are handled evry day for 4 years, ive watched dat monty roberts programme on sky b4 and i have no lue how d horses he "starts" within half an hour are meant to have a mouth? the rider he throws up on dem is able to steer dem effectively even though they are sposed 2 neva have been broken???? a horses mouth needs 2 be made like b4 u ride them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Thanks for the headache and I only read half of DAT, kick-off...

kick-on wrote: »
    ye dats true i spose but sumtyms i find they get spoilt if handled 2 much, ive seen 4 yo horses whove barely been handled turn ou quieter than horses who are handled evry day for 4 years, ive watched dat monty roberts programme on sky b4 and i have no lue how d horses he "starts" within half an hour are meant to have a mouth? the rider he throws up on dem is able to steer dem effectively even though they are sposed 2 neva have been broken???? a horses mouth needs 2 be made like b4 u ride them

Second warning - next time its a weeks ban. Read the charter regarding text speak.

Any problems - take them to feedback.

Yep, Monty doesn't start a horse in 1/2 hour - someone sits up on a horse in half an hour. Doesn't teach rein or seat cues. BIG difference. So I'd take all that stuff with a pinch of salt.

Making the horses mouth is an interesting point. Ideally as you progress you want to ride more from your seat, with less use of the reins to get stuff done. We tend to teach young horses to respond to rein cues first (forwards, backwards, left, right) but some of the NH folk teach rein AND seat cues right from the start.

I rode a horse out in Australia who had 2 weeks of starting work, and did walk, trot, canter, stop, backup, go right, go left, HQ yield, FQ yield, sidepass without me touching the reins at all (you can use the reins too of course, but horse had been trained both ways). The softest, lightest, beautifully balanced horse I'd ever had the pleasure to ride. Folks take YEARS to train up a normal horse to be that soft and responsive. This youngster could do this with a bit and without a bit, didnt make a difference.

If you do want to follow up on a few good trainers, have a look at Buck brannanam, tom widdicombe, ray hunt, steve halfpenny, brad weeks, mark rashid etc. They are true horseman. :)

sorry about the whole text talking thing, its what happened to the youth of today, ha!! yea i know your right that seat and voice should be used as well as reins but i think its important to have a few brakes i.e a good mouth before you start riding them. wow that took me ages to write out without shortening words,

Poll added..

Advertisement