Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine???

• 27-03-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a wineclub?

My dad is a member of the Sunday Times one and even with sterling prices it seems like you get some pretty decent bottles of plonk for €10.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Not sure about the wine club but Tesco have a wine sale on right now, there's some good offers, up to 50% off some good wines. See pdf attached. Ther'se one missing from this list it's a Rioja at half price.

The Tesco Wine Club doesn't offer a lot but it's free, so it's worth signing up. There's no super cheap wine, just a nice quality newsletter every few months, with some money off coupons on selected wines and extra points on your shopping at Tesco.

The Sunday Times Wine Club have great prices on wines, I thought they didn't deliver to the Republic. I must have a look next Sunday. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If you're interested in good wine and live in Dublin , worth visiting http://www.thebigwinewarehouse.ie/index.html

Don't know about wine clubs, don't see the point really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

Oracle wrote: »
    Not sure about the wine club but Tesco have a wine sale on right now, there's some good offers, up to 50% off some good wines. See pdf attached. Ther'se one missing from this list it's a Rioja at half price.

The Tesco Wine Club doesn't offer a lot but it's free, so it's worth signing up. There's no super cheap wine, just a nice quality newsletter every few months, with some money off coupons on selected wines and extra points on your shopping at Tesco.

The Sunday Times Wine Club have great prices on wines, I thought they didn't deliver to the Republic. I must have a look next Sunday. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the reply Oracle, I will have a look into Tesco's wine sale!

The Sunday Times Wine Club definitely deliver to Ireland, my dad has been with them for over 2 years now and my 2 sisters joined within the last 12 months. Apparently they even have a Dublin number you can ring so you dont get stung for ringing England. Let me know if you want the number?
    Grawns wrote: »
    Don't know about wine clubs, don't see the point really

Can I ask why you dont see the point in them?

Bound to send you wines you don't like as well as some you so. Better to get to know ( develop a relationship with) a good sommelier who can guide you within your price bracket. In that wine warehouse you have to buy by the case Can be mixed) so you can try different styles of wine but at least if you find something you really like you can go back and buy a case of it. Not so with a wine club.

Grawns while you may not like the idea of a wine club, I think they're a great idea. Although I haven't ever ordered from a wine club I know that every wine offered in pre-selected cases is specified. Also you can order cases of a particular wine, it's not just pre-selected cases: http://www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk/

I was searching on the internet and I found this code for £25 off orders over £69.99 at the Sunday Times Wine Club: http://www.shopcodes.co.uk/promotion/shops/direct-wines.php Valid until 31 March. Open to new and existing members.

• Advertisement

Or then again.

Different strokes etc..

Yes, there'll always be those who are disappointed, I'm sure the Sunday Times Wine Club have thousands of satisfied customers as well. Regarding the above coupon, unfortunately their web site only accepts orders from the UK:
    At present, our website can only process orders for delivery to the UK. To place an order for delivery to the Republic of Ireland, please call us on 01 605 7843.

So I've just been on to them using the Dublin number above. I spoke with a very pleasant lady who's going to send me all the details of their offers, all of which I can order over the phone. I think she said delivery to Ireland is £12.99. So I'm looking forward to the details arriving.

I've been to Cellars - the Big Wine Warehouse, they're good. There's some well priced wines there, and often some good offers, it's worth a visit. I can't understand why they insist on a minimum purchase of 12 bottles. It's not as if they're ultra cheap or anything, and some of their wine prices are not competitive at all. There's far better value available at Tesco now. So I'd shop around, or price elsewhere, before purchasing 12 bottles at Cellars.

I think I'll give the Sunday Times Wineclub a try myself.

From what my dad tells me they wont send you any wine you dont or wont like. They seem to know what thay are talking about and even know, based on past orders, whether my dad will like a certain type of wine. They often have special offers of 2 free bottles of wine which once you are a regular they will change to 2 bottles of your choice!

I am pretty new to wine so can anyone recommend a book or website so I can learn what I should look out for? I was thinking about getting this book!

By the way Grawns I wouldnt have bothered with that link to support your case as if you had of read the Laithwaites review you would have seen them get 5 out of 6 recommended even though they are the same crowd who run both wine clubs???

Best of luck with it. Will be interested to know how you get on and whether you think it was worth it a year from now.

I'll be sure to post about my experiences with the Sunday Times Wine Club, the good and the bad.

Regarding the book about wine Branners The Hugh Johnson book is a selection of his personal favourites rather than a guide to wine. In my opinion when it comes to wine education you can't beat Jancis Robinson. I like her friendly, down to earth, straight forward style, yet she's a wine professional, who really knows what she's talking about.

I have her book Jancis Robinson's Wine Course, A Guide to the World of Wine, it's both a great reference book, and a complete wine course chapter by chapter, should you wish to pursue it. I have the 2003 hardback edition, but it was revised and updated as a paperback in 2006. The hardback 2003 edition is still available on Amazon at £7.49, plus delivery. Another good writer for beginners is Joanna Simon, her Discovering Wine book is full of colour photos, practical tasting exercises and wine tips. Although it's not as rigorous and comprehensive as Jancis Robinson's wine guide. It's available in new condition from 2 Amazon marketplace sellers for under £7 including postage.

Surprise, surprise, Dunnes Stores are also having a wine promotion. Running from 12 March to 1 April. There's some nice reductions to choose from, including Lanvin Champagne for €20. It's amazing what a little competition can do for prices. Here's Cellars price list, from their web site, for comparison.

• Advertisement

The Hugh Johnson book is a selection of his personal favourites rather than a guide to wine.

I told you I am new to all this :o

Thanks for the links, I will definitely pick one of them up!

Two more good places for wine I forgot to mention are Aldi and Lidl. Regarding the Tesco Wine Sale above, they're giving their usual 5% discount off every 6 bottles as well, it's deducted at the till. Marks and Spencer also offer 5% discount on every 6 bottles, plus they have a quality range and frequent special offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Tesco have 30% off some of their top wines at the moment.

OK I promise this is definitely going to be my last post on this thread :rolleyes: Just been down to Lidl they've 6 for 4 on French Chablis right now. So you get 6 bottles for €36 (that's €6 per bottle) normal price is €9 per bottle. I've haven't tried it yet so don't know much about it. Worth a go at that price. I'm assuming this is available in every Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

M&S are offering 25% off 6 bottles at the moment, I find they have a really great selection. They had a really nice white New Zealand Marlborough for 11.99, with the 25% off it worked at €9.25 a bottle which is an excellent price for a Marlborough as they usual start in price at around €15

Thanks MasterK, 25% off 6 bottles is good, considering the majority of the wines in M&S are good quality. A friend of mine rates their port very highly, it was reduced to €9.99 over Christmas, (from €15.99) According to them, it's better than the more expensive Taylors Vintage port. M&S reduce it every Christmas, so one to look out if you're a port drinker.

I like their Gold Label Sparkling Chardonnay. OK so Chardonnay hasn't a great reputation now, (blame Bridget Jones :rolleyes:) but this is a classy French wine. I've tasted many a bottle of Champagne, and this compares very favorably. I haven't bought M&S Gold Label Chardonnay in ages, it's usually about €13/14 per bottle, but they regularly reduce it to €9.99. It's a bargain at that price, perfect for any special occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Hi, I am looking to buy Castello Maggiore Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Italian red wine. I want to buy it in an off license on the south side of Dublin. Any suggestions? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

Two more good places for wine I forgot to mention are Aldi and Lidl. Regarding the Tesco Wine Sale above, they're giving their usual 5% discount off every 6 bottles as well, it's deducted at the till. Marks and Spencer also offer 5% discount on every 6 bottles, plus they have a quality range and frequent special offers.

Hey Oracle, I know I'm dredging up an old post but you never did tell us how you got on with that Chablis. The reason I ask is that the same deal you referenced is on again and I'm awaiting your review before taking up the offer! http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.wfo.p.ChablisAOC

Yeah it's a good wine so I'd go for it, it usually sells out fast. At €6.33 per bottle (€38 for a case of 6 bottles) its great value. Its also an AOC (Appellation controlee) wine, plus there's no mention of Lidl on the bottle! :)

M&S Port is reduced to €10 again this year it's a good Port if anyone's interested. Also has anyone tried stacking the M&S 20% off today with the 10/25% off when you buy 6 bottles of wine? That would be either 30% or 45% off 6 bottles! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Yep it worked for me, wine was 20% off yesterday, then the 10% was taken off the total. Also the 10yr old port was discounted (and the above discounts also applied), same for premium Cava - they'll probably run it again in another couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Great 30% is a good discount. I noticed last time they ran the general 20% off promo they had 25% off every 6 bottles of wine a couple of days later. So it may not be too late to get a 25% six bottle discount.

Talking of Cava, the last M&S €12.50 Dine in for 2 offer had the option of a Cava included, it was priced separately at €9.49. I managed to get my hands on one of these, haven't tried it yet, but mega bargain anyway. Unfortunately, a friend of mine was told by M&S staff in Cork, that there won't be another Dine in for 2 offer until the New Year. I'll be waiting to stock up on Cava then. :D

Advertisement