Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talking on the mic?

• 27-03-2008 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've been djing now just over a year and have a regular gig in a pub most weekends, but i'm just having trouble knowing what to say on the mic during the night. I'm only 17 so havent been to many clubs and don't really know what the norm is for dj's to be saying and how often to use the mic. I get very self conscious when i do use it and tend to kind of go blank on what to say so im starting to avoid using it at all. Any tips on what to say or do would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Hi this might help you! I never talk in a club setting, or even the strand house gig I do. I don't start til about 10pm and most people are locked! They don't want an english guy waffling! HTH :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Cheers i might try some of those techniques the next night it would appear ive been saying all the wrong things:o But yea most of the people are usually piss drunk anyway so dont even take notice of what im saying but i've been asked to do a few 21sts and weddings and turned them down due to my lack of charisma on the mic so hopefully it'll make some difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Well I find at birthdays you can get the crowd involved and talk a lot, but in a club they just want to hear the music. Usually as it's after the pub's have shut and they want a late drink! They don't really care about talking as most of them wouldn't remember in the morning!

I don't really need to talk in the pub on north strand as they just want to pi55 about trying to dance & sing! And GOD some of them are cr@p at both!!! :eek:

Anyway have a look through the vids from ellaskins they are good, just do a search for mic and you will find them again. The name is ellaskins again if you want to search for all vids by him.

Good luck and if you ever need someone to help you with a double booking visit my site! LOL :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I hate the mike although I carry one. I usually use it to tell people to shut the f***k up during a minutes silence tribute to someone bereaved or for the new years count down. I was once requested by a bar manager to announce that there was to be no smoking in the lounge, I refused to cooperate as I told him I was paid to play music and not to police the place.

I normally keep the mike out of sight so it can't be seen as I hate talking and playing stupid requests particularly in country pubs. I normally play a continues seamless night without the chat. If a someone requests a talking DJ I usually tell them that they should have brought along a radio instead :).

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

If a someone requests a talking DJ I usually tell them that they should have brought along a radio instead :).

Thats a bit harsh isn't it?
    As far as I'm concerned being able to talk on the mic clearly and sensibly is a DJing skill just as much as song selection or mixing ability.

• Advertisement

djdeclan wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh isn't it?
    As far as I'm concerned being able to talk on the mic clearly and sensibly is a DJing skill just as much as song selection or mixing ability.
    It depends on the style of DJ. Some DJs tend to waffle on and would go down a treat in a country pub, a wedding or at a private function in front of old ones, others working off decks would tend to use their skills to keep the mood going by the music they play. People that book me and know my style and know that I am not one for talking and I will warn in advance. personally a DJ that interrupts a good tune with gossip dose my block in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Defo depends on the style of dj, ive never had to use one, bar maybe 12 o clock NYE! At that stage you've the whole crowd counting with ya.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Anyone that isnt nervous before they use the mic is deluded or drunk! Using a mic takes a bit of practice but it isnt as bad as it seems. No-one likes the sound of their own voice so dont worry about that. I'm not a huge user of the mic, preferring to let the music "do the talking" as it were. I've always hated DJ's that wanted to talk all night or who insist on telling jokes. Having said that some things I always try and remember are:

1. Think about what you are going to say. Always go through in your head what you want to say BEFORE starting to talk. Nothing worse than getting a blank mid sentence and then panicking because you decided to ad-lib.

2. Talk clearly and slowly. People tend to talk faster when using a mic even if its on a subconscious level. Try and speak slowly and clearly if you're not used to a mic. As you become more used to it you will relax.

3. Dont EVER EVER EVER try to do funny if you arent funny. The thump you can hear behind you is your rep going down like a lead balloon

Generally I try and welcome everyone if am doing a pub gig and will speak out for requests. At weddings and functions I would try to be encouraging rather than "in your face". but weddings and Birthday functions require a bit more of a presence.

I have played at gigs where one would be liable to have cans thrown at them for talking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Yeah I have played gigs where people dont want any input from DJ and thats fine with me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Being on the receiving end I say "Less talk the better". When I was DJ I'd never ever talk. If someone wanted a song played I would just tell them to be ready for it in about 2-3 songs time. Someone yapping away between/during song can be really annoying.

Advertisement