Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky?????????

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have two siberian huskies, dog and a bitch and i would like to discuss the theory that they must never be allowed off the leash.

When i got the female as a pup (she is now 3), i also had a male golden Lab and i used to take them for walks every day in the forest beside my house, due to the fact the Lab was never on the leash i decided to let the husky off the leash with him from the time she was 12 weeks old, this continued for 12 months or so until the Lab died (old age 14yrs),by this time she was so used to being off the leash and her recall was excellent i didnt see the need for a leash, i then got a male husky(pup) as a companion for her and carried out the same process, i now take them around the forest everyday with both of them off the leash and they love it, this also means they can get as much exercise as they want (which is alot). I think its about time some of the negative myths about huskies are dispelled.
    They are a great family pet and adore children, sure they need exercise but what dog does'nt. I would never discourage somebody with the time and energy from owning one of the most beautiful dogs around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's ridiculous to make statements like that about a specific breed, it's as bad as saying all pitbulls are vicious or something. you're dogs sound very well behaved and trained, congrats! I think any dog can be trained to be good off lead especially if you have them from pups. Siberian huskies are supposed to be very sweet tempered dogs according to what I've read about them, I really want to have a huskyish dog some day.

I have been planning to get one of these for years. Because they are a working dog, i heard that if they get startled and run and basically dont stop. There again i would like to hear from owners .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Any dog weather it is a yorkshire terrier or a german shepherd should be ok off lead
    once the dog is treated with respect, and is gradually let off at shorter intervals gradually building up the time it is allowed off the lead. Letting a young dog off the lead
    for a long walk is a bit risky as there is still a lot new to them.

They Know which side their bread is buttered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh they are DIVINE!!!

One day I brought my more modest looking, but still gorgeous girl (a lurcher - well she's my brother's but I love her like she's mine!) for a walk in the park and a male husky took a shine to her (probably belonging to a family that lived nearby). Anyway he joined us for the entire walk. She was having none of it and very hastily spurned his advances, but he kept persevering (bless 'im :)). He was the loveliest, most friendly darling of a dog. Anyhoo the time came sadly to leave, and if you heard his whining when I put her in the car and we left. I was nearly in tears! :)

I love all dogs but my favourite looking dogs are huskies and samoyeds. Stunning animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

They are the ones that look like wolves right?
    Im a forester and if i saw one of your dogs coming at me in the forest i'd shoot first ask questions later.
    Realy though they are a lovely dog, the leash thing is a myth, just be careful if there is livestock in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sibe mom

i have a male sibe, he's one year old and i can't let him off the lead EVER ! i have a friend who had a blind sibe who would run away. i also have many friends in America who cant let theres off leash.

saying that i do know a man who lets his off leash but only after 3 years of training and if the dog sees something like a fox or even another dog then he's gone.

i don't agree with letting a husky off the leash unless you can trust them 100% i know if my boy took off running i wouldn't get him back. your very lucky to be able to let them off leash !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There are dogs with STRONG hunting instincts and ones that couldn't be bothered in almost every breed.

Generally speaking, in the Husky breed the hunters are in the majority ...so I'd be very careful with letting them off and start in very small steps in a controlled environement.

We, for example, have little Terrier who is the sweetest and most biddable dog imaginable ...until she gets a scent in her nose or something catches her eye ...and then she's gone ...irretrievably so until she's good and ready to come back.

After three years of training we can only let her off the lead in an extremely "bleak" environement like a biiiig beach with no people or animals on it. There it is just about possible to control and recall her. Anywhere else she stays on the lead.

We do have a half acre dog run though, so she can run there to her hearts content. But even there she has gone "missing" (it's fenced in) for hours, busy chasing mouse trails under the bushes, and wouldn't come in until she was finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Teddy1979

I dont see the need for caution, she has been off the lead now for three years and is a fully mature female, she does indeed have hunting instincts birds, squirrels etc, but she always returns when called period. While i have full confidence in the male, he is only 14 months old and yet to fully mature, so i am a little wary but at present he is the same, he has the hunter in him but his recall is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My brother has a fem husky i Sweden and he lets her off the leash. She is a champion award winning dog and she does chase the rabbits but is very obedient and excellent with his kid from what i''ve seen. I got two 8 month old male lab/collies last week and they are tough to train as they have sooooooo much energy. But perseverance and a strong stand against disobedience (a light smack on the snout) has led to fantastic results already. So if you can trust your dog off the leash, make sure it has a mussel in the off chance that your trust is not enough for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whoareyou

Teddy1979 wrote: »
    I have two siberian huskies, dog and a bitch

That has to be the most sexist thing I've ever heard. (in the doggie world)

A. They are both dogs
    B. You should know your terms
    C. My Siberian Husky is able to be off of her lease

If you weren't trying to offend anyone then you should have wrote "I have male and a female" or "I have a Stud and a bitch" or "I have a shire and a dam"
    Not that you have a dog and a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

whoareyou wrote: »

A. They are both dogs

If you weren't trying to offend anyone then you should have wrote "I have male and a female" or "I have a Stud and a bitch" or "I have a shire and a dam"

What's wrong with using the term dog to refer to a male dog? I thought that was the correct term.

The term stud is often only used when talking about a dog which is intended for breeding. I think you mean sire not shire and that term refers to a dog which has fathered a pup doesn't it? I assume that since the OP said their dog is not fully mature at only 14 months that he is not a sire. The term dam likewise applies to a bitch who has had a litter I think.

Whether dog and bitch is right or not, it's not really a hanging offence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

whoareyou wrote: »

A. They are both dogs

I think you are the one who needs to learn terms, a dog and a bitch are correct for a male and female. And its a Sire and a Dam for a breeding pair.

Advertisement