Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for answering Othello as single text

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My teacher says open an essay by answering the question directly, rephrase question.
    Then in each paragraph talk about one point that is relevant to the question.

"In the play Othello, the reader is fascinated and repulsed by Iago's manipulation and deception of all those around him"

Discuss

What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Start with just that.

"In the play Othello, the reader is fascinated and repulsed by Iago's manipulation and deception of all those around him."

Then continue your opening paragraph when one or two short, sweeping statements about the manner or method of Iago's manipulations and why these are fascinating to the reader. Maybe it takes a lot of balls or a special person that the reader is either unfamiliar/too familiar with? Is the reader meant to relate to Iago at all? I havent read Othello so I cannot say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

A good topic for that qu is Iago's motiveless malignity. Why does he do what he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Fuascailt wrote: »
    A good topic for that qu is Iago's motiveless malignity. Why does he do what he does?

Exactly, it's both fascinating and repulsive in that we can barely see a real reason for his actions.

Advertisement