Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumping Malamute

Options
  • 27-03-2008 5:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a male Alaskan Malamute who likes to jump up on people, he is 8 months old, he has been trained not to jump up at home and thats fine, but as soon as we are out in the forest and i let him off the leash if he we meet someone he runs over jumps up on them and tries to lick them, by the time i get there he has stopped and is sitting down, so then there does'nt seem to be any point in correcting him it will only confuse him ' correcting him for sitting!!!!

Anyone any ideas, will he just grow out of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Try working on his recall training to come when called instead of running towards other people. Try first on a long lead then off lead.

Also there is a device called a remote training collar which sends a correction to your dog via a remote control to a receiver on the dog's collar, some people may disagree with this.

http://www.canicom.ie/canicom800.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Don't let your dog off lead in the forest until you can recall him. Buy a flexi lead if you want him to be able to run a bit but until you can recall him properly and stop him jumping on people he should not be off lead. What if he knocks down a kid? You could scar some poor child for life with that sort of thing. Jeez. And don't retort with "he's only being friendly" - even mad dog owners don't want someone elses great big dog jumping on them when out walking in the woods.

I'm all for dogs running free, in fact one of mine is rarely leashed when I'm walking him as his recall is perfect & his manners are excellent however badly behaved dogs give every dog owner a bad name. And I'm sorry but your dog running to strangers and jumping on them is behaving badly.

That remote collar thing will cause you all sorts of problems. Think of it. Dog sees stranger and lollops up to say hello in his usual easygoing fashion. Suddenly he's hit by a nasty shock. What's he going to associate this with? The stranger of course! You could easily end up with a dog that dislikes strangers on sight using one of those.

Train a recall. It's the boring answer but it's the right one :) Dog comes back to you when he sees a stranger. Simple as. Bring nice tasting things with you and call your dog back and treat him. Every time he recalls he gets a treat. Repeat in small doses at regular intervals until you go mad from the mind numbing boringness of it all :D At some point recall should be ingrained into your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

hadook wrote: »
    What if he knocks down a kid?

Gone are the days when a dog would jump up, lick you on the face and send you on your bum, all your little mates falling about the place laughing at you.

Unfortunately Hadook is correct. Now, letting your dog even near a kid without a lead is comparable to letting a wild, rabid hyena savage a baby for the fun of it.

You could get a mate to act the stranger in the park, and get him or her to dissuade the dog from jumping up, maybe a water pistol or a sharp shout.

I had to do the same, my dog used to run along side cyclists, ears flopping, tongue out, he loved it. Cyclists naturally didn't, so I got mates to cycle by with water pistols. He soon got the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

That remote collar thing will cause you all sorts of problems. Think of it. Dog sees stranger and lollops up to say hello in his usual easygoing fashion. Suddenly he's hit by a nasty shock. What's he going to associate this with? The stranger of course! You could easily end up with a dog that dislikes strangers on sight using one of those.

Agreed.

I'd get a long line and train recall with him.
    Let the line drag behind him though, loosely as it should feel to the dog as if he's offlead running about. When you want him to come back, call him, if he ignores you simply grab the line and reel him in, as he gets the idea and comes towards you, praise and treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd get a long line and train recall with him.
    Let the line drag behind him though, loosely as it should feel to the dog as if he's offlead running about. When you want him to come back, call him, if he ignores you simply grab the line and reel him in, as he gets the idea and comes towards you, praise and treat.

As we're talking about a Malamute, I'd suggest you wear good working gloves, strong boots and trousers that you don't mind getting dirty while doing so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

What if he knocks down a kid? You could scar some poor child for life with that sort of thing. Jeez.

Why the fuss about kids? I'd be more concerned about the dog knocking down an old person

Advertisement