Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Clubcard deals after TV offer

• 27-03-2008 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

For any one who took advantage of the Easter Monday 50% back in clubcard points on TV's, this link may be of interest

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/

This should mean my 500 Euro Club Card points is now worth 2000 Euro.

I can now take the ferry to England, take one of the Thruxton Motorsport experiences, one of the UK Theme park days out and still have enough for a couple of Hotel Breaks and Meals out when I get back to Ireland!

Good idea for a family holiday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, a lot of people won't believe me when I tell them of this.

Say you were planning on staying in a certain hotel or travelling by ferry anyway. Then you could buy the TV for €1000, bin it, and you are up €1000!

I see they have now added a years subscription to hotpress for €17.50.

It seems perfect for families, with the zoo etc. With the restaurants you cannot get drink though. My plan would have been to hit TGIs and just get drink. Apache pizza is there but I imagine you cannot use other vouchers along with it- and if you are not already paying half price for all your pizzas then get out of bargain alerts! you are being ripped off, the prices on pizza menus are always double what they should be. But it is 1/4 price and somethings on the menu are not often on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

These Tesco deals are fantastic (and no, I do not work for Tesco :D ).

We received 180 euro worth of Tesco vouchers in Feb which we switched for 720 euro vouchers for a jewellers in Liffey Valley and I used them to pick up a couple of very nice watches last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

That's my thinking.. We were going to book a hotel somewhere down the country for a few nights as our family holiday this year anyway - so I bought the TV and will now get the hotel for buttons! That's how I'm justifying our new 42" monitor, anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can't understand how they make money on this, but I guess thats why I'm not the 2nd largest retailer in the world....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I wish they had more offers for shops and/or travel agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are any of these 30/50% back in vouchers still on? I knew I should have bought a tv to bin :pac:

cormie wrote: »
    Are any of these 30/50% back in vouchers still on? I knew I should have bought a tv to bin :pac:

The 25% on booze should happen again soon enough. It happens when offers are on anyways. Recently tesco had 24x330ml heineken for €20.

So basically at 25% back you are quadrupling your vouchers so getting what you paid. €20 gets you a case of heineken and a €20 voucher for pizza to go with it. I really don't see how they can do this, the beer is probably below cost to begin with, and I take it they would have to pay apache at least the value of the voucher you hand in, i.e. €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

The real money comes from having a Tesco credit card - you get one point for every Euro spent using your card = 4cents per Euro back when you use these deals. Sweet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Good thinking batman. I mean bazman!

Have to get signed up for one of them asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

And so the domination continues.

Not wanting to spoil your day chaps but here is how it works, and trust me, I know what I am talking about.

1. Tesco say to ferry company 'a', we will send 20,000 customers your way for €10 a shot. You can say yes and make the most of it or you can say no and we will offer the same deal to company 'b'.

~So, Tesco will lose nothing at all in the deal, Tesco never lose anything in the deal.

In the meantime Tesco will analyse all your spending habits, especially if you use their credit card. Soon you will get targeted mail through your letterbox since they know you like the booze a little too much.

And while we are there, who else would like to know how much booze you drink? Insurance companies perhaps? For a price they can have the number of cans you buy a week.

And don't think about parking for more than 2 hrs on their car parks, they know your car, your clubcard ID, where you live. Find your penalty notice a week later in the post.

The clubcard is the nail in the coffin for the small retailers in Ireland. It's simply an offer they cannot compete with. How can a small retailer use a ferry company to discount the goods? A magnificent idea for Tesco, a huge steaming pile of crap for the Irish consumer.

Wait 10 years to see what happens to the overall quality, price & range of choice in our towns till we find out that every little counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

ch750536 wrote: »
    1. Tesco say to ferry company 'a', we will send 20,000 customers your way for €10 a shot. You can say yes and make the most of it or you can say no and we will offer the same deal to company 'b'.
    No one is forcing them. If 'a' say no, so can 'b'. If they are making a loss at €10, let the competition take it up if they want to.
    In the meantime Tesco will analyse all your spending habits, especially if you use their credit card. Soon you will get targeted mail through your letterbox since they know you like the booze a little too much.

And while we are there, who else would like to know how much booze you drink? Insurance companies perhaps? For a price they can have the number of cans you buy a week.
    Proves nothing. I could be buying for the underage kids outside:eek:
    And don't think about parking for more than 2 hrs on their car parks, they know your car, your clubcard ID, where you live. Find your penalty notice a week later in the post.
    Well, if you do the crime... Anyway, if you spend more than 2 hours in Tescos at a time, you should be fined.
    The clubcard is the nail in the coffin for the small retailers in Ireland. It's simply an offer they cannot compete with. How can a small retailer use a ferry company to discount the goods? A magnificent idea for Tesco, a huge steaming pile of crap for the Irish consumer.
    Jokes aside, as a consumer, I look for the best price without the loss of quality. I don't trust Tesco too much, nor do I trust any supermarket. However I have a budget to work off to feed my family etc.

And TVs with 50% back are great and all, but most don't go to Tesco because of the clubcard. But if people go there as there is value, availing of some coupons is an added bonus, but not the main factor.
    Wait 10 years to see what happens to the overall quality, price & range of choice in our towns till we find out that every little counts.
    Again if the quality drops, there will be options to go elsewhere. There really will.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Both of which would contravene the Data Protection Act and would have the Data Protection Commissioner drop on Tescos like a ton of bricks if they ever tried it.

BTW if you sign up to Clubcard, you don't have to give any more details then just your name and address and you could always make the name up, so how would they have your car reg number?

Don't get me wrong, I'm as suspicious of big business as anyone, but there are laws in place to protect against this.

Aldi and Lidl disprove this, if Tescos become uncompetitive, there will always be some one ready to jump in and undercut them.

Don't wish to derail chaps, so my final comment on all this.

The guys over the water are now trying to remove power from Tesco & finding it very difficult. Places like Peterboro (smaller than Limerick) have 6 tesco units & only 1 butcher. Choice.

I'm all for competition but the beast before us is like nothing we have seen before. It does not compete, it dominates. It would be happy to lose money for 5 years in order to gain a dominant position, and has done.

Before it gets too late just think again about the true cost of shopping at the likes of Tesco for the bargain products. The costs to the suppliers, the cost to the employees and the cost to yourself as choice and quality go down to the standard of the UK.

Every Little Counts

Every Little Counts

Every Little Counts

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

has anyone used these to stay at a select hotel? i would like to stay in a hotel and use the spa facilities. do they accept them for the total bill or only B&B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have managed to amass quite a few points by shopping for their online wine and using bonus 1000 point codes (not many available now). Tesco must think I am an alcho. I find ASDA to be cheaper for groceries so I shop there.

I have used the deals to book a ferry with Stena from Stranraer to Belfast, family of 4 into Legoland and sight seeing trips around London, various restaurants and National Geographic magazine subscription

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

bk wrote: »
    Both of which would contravene the Data Protection Act and would have the Data Protection Commissioner drop on Tescos like a ton of bricks if they ever tried it

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

In 2005 I wrote to Tesco asking for the details they held on me. 76 days later I was still waiting. The Data Protection Office accepted Tescos excuse that it was due to human error. After all being such a small little company they probably didn't know anything about Data Protection... :rolleyes:

http://despod.blogspot.com/2005/12/tesco-ireland-ignore-data-protection.html
    http://despod.blogspot.com/2006/01/data-protection-officers-response.html

1. Tesco say to ferry company 'a', we will send 20,000 customers your way for €10 a shot. You can say yes and make the most of it or you can say no and we will offer the same deal to company 'b'
    I don't still don't get this, are you saying the ferry company are paying €10 per passenger to tesco. Then these passengers get their entire trip for free? These are not percentage discounts off pizzas or ferries. They are straight up gift vouchers. Why would a company pay tesco to give their customers gift vouchers.

Yeah they send me money off for vouchers for products I buy regularly. So do other supermarkets. This is common practice in many industries. I don't find it particularly sinister or anything. I use them or bin them.

And what if they know how many cans I buy. Are you talking car, house, health insurance. Have people really had increases in premiums in relation to the amount of alcohol they buy or something?
    The clubcard is the nail in the coffin for the small retailers in Ireland. It's simply an offer they cannot compete with..... Wait 10 years....
    Same was being said about cournelscourt over 40 years ago. The Groceries Order has come and gone since then. I see far more small retailers and groceries around than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Meanwhile back on topic......

My clubcard balance is 211 points, surely thats not €844 in vouchers?

Whats the "conversion rate"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Meanwhile back on topic......

My clubcard balance is 211 points, surely thats not €844 in vouchers?

Whats the "conversion rate"?

211 points is worth 2.11, so 8.11 in the tesco deals ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Fup.

Cheers Chet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I meant 8.44 but i'm sure you knew that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

I'm sure people already are aware but I was wondering how you would actually go about an Irish ferries booking using clubcard vouchers. Its explained in their faq Link

Basically you'll need to have the Irish ferries vouchers in hand when you book because you have to post them in within 5 days of making the booking. You have to ring them to make the booking. You can't book online (predictably enough). Still a good deal.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't still don't get this, are you saying the ferry company are paying €10 per passenger to tesco.
    No, Tesco give them €10 per passenger.
    And what if they know how many cans I buy. Are you talking car, house, health insurance. Have people really had increases in premiums in relation to the amount of alcohol they buy or something?
    Not yet no.

Same was being said about cournelscourt over 40 years ago. The Groceries Order has come and gone since then. I see far more small retailers and groceries around than ever
    Can we not learn from the UK where it has happened? Do we have to be twice as stupid as to see it happening & then let it happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Can we not learn from the UK where it has happened? Do we have to be twice as stupid as to see it happening & then let it happen here.

Not only has it happened in the UK but also in the US with Walmart.
    I saw a program about tesco's trying to open in the US, once people found out that tesco's wanted to be the next Walmart attitudes changed towards tesco's

And i don't see why people love tesco's so much i find their fresh foods to be awful, sure if you want cheap booze or to save a few cent on a few items, I'd prefer to pay the extra euro ot two onto my bill to get good quality food.

And before anyone says tesco's fresh food is good i don't believe it for a second. I was in the Tesco's in dundrum the day it opened, i was shocked by the amount of food that was actually mouldy on the opening day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

bazman wrote: »
    The real money comes from having a Tesco credit card - you get one point for every Euro spent using your card = 4cents per Euro back when you use these deals. Sweet :)

No, for purchases outside Tesco, you get a point for every €2 that you spend. (so half a point per €1)
    For purchases in tesco you get 1.5 ponts (the clubcard1 & the credit card half) for every € spent.
    So basically then with the tesco credit card and the "deals" that adds up to 2% discount on everything you spend or 6% on everything in tesco.
    And that's before any of the 25% deals they do, which obviously make the stuff free as mentioned above.

Now here's a way to make it pay: Find a way to turn your credit card purchases into cash. i don't know if this would work or not but in theory if you spend €1000 with paddypower on your Tesco credit card you get €5 worth of points which converts to €20 in deals vouchers. But if you don't bet the money and withdraw it say 2 weeks later PP send you a cheque. So you get back your €1000 and have €20 towards your meal/holiday/whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

jimmysull wrote: »
    Now here's a way to make it pay: Find a way to turn your credit card purchases into cash. i don't know if this would work or not but in theory if you spend €1000 with paddypower on your Tesco credit card you get €5 worth of points which converts to €20 in deals vouchers. But if you don't bet the money and withdraw it say 2 weeks later PP send you a cheque. So you get back your €1000 and have €20 towards your meal/holiday/whatever

Doubt it would work because PP is treated as a cash transaction or advance by cc companies and this means you pay under different terms (more interest in some situations).

aphex™ wrote: »
    Doubt it would work because PP is treated as a cash transaction or advance by cc companies and this means you pay under different terms (more interest in some situations).

The way to do this then is to find another business that will refund cash within a month for credit card transactions (within a month because anymore hits your bill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And so the domination continues.

Not wanting to spoil your day chaps but here is how it works, and trust me, I know what I am talking about.

~So, Tesco will lose nothing at all in the deal, Tesco never lose anything in the deal.

Haven't read anyone else repleis yet to this, but I have to say, you really don't what you're talking about. Leave that tin foil hat on.

Regarding your signature, do you actually know how much money goes to the UK from Tesco Ireland, or how much of their products they source from Irish producers where possible ? Nah, didn't think so.

The way to do this then is to find another business that will refund cash within a month for credit card transactions

Companies that take Credit cards have to pay anything from 1-3% normally of the purchase to Visa/Mastercard. Some companies take the hit themselves, others pass it onto the customers.
    You won't find anybody who will give you the full €1000 back as it's cost them up to €30.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You won't find anybody who will give you the full €1000 back as it's cost them up to €30.

I got a cheque back from the ESB once when I had been overcharged even though I had paid by credit card.
    If I'd had my tesco credit card at the time i'd have got the points....

Jip wrote: »
    Haven't read anyone else repleis yet to this, but I have to say, you really don't what you're talking about. Leave that tin foil hat on.

Regarding your signature, do you actually know how much money goes to the UK from Tesco Ireland, or how much of their products they source from Irish producers where possible ? Nah, didn't think so.
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    Lets do this by PM if you are interested to chat about it.

No need to do it by P.M., spill it out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

aphex™ wrote: »

I have an AIB mastercard. When I lodge money to PP i dont get charged any extra. But when i withdraw money from them they send a cheque back to me. Do Tesco do Visa or mastercard? I think if PP were to refund to your cc Tesco would get wise very quickly and might change their policy on points??

No need to do it by P.M., spill it out here.

Every Little Counts

:eek:

Your point being ? That I'm some secret agent sent by Tesco to infiltrate boards.ie to brainwash you wall into buying Tesco ? Strange that you do a search on that, as I said, previously, leave that tin foil hat on a little longer.

• Advertisement

Your point being ? That I'm some secret agent sent by Tesco to infiltrate boards.ie to brainwash you wall into buying Tesco ? Strange that you do a search on that, as I said, previously, leave that tin foil hat on a little longer.

I'll consider myself put in place. Tin foil hat is now back on.

Aren't private spats best done on PM's or is there some point to prove?

either way, cheer up, it may never happen.

When I lodge money to PP i dont get charged any extra

That's because PP bear the cost themselves, most other companies will pass on the charge that they get charged.

One thing that annoys me about tesco is after paying 22c or whatever it is for a plastic bag, you can't even put ashes in them because there's holes in the bottom from where all the bags are attached to eachother:mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

One thing that annoys me about tesco is after paying 22c or whatever it is for a plastic bag, you can't even put ashes in them because there's holes in the bottom from where all the bags are attached to eachother:mad::pac:

Would imagine those holes in the bottom of their bags are not exclusive to tesco, in fact they're in place so that if a child happened to put a bag over their head they wouldn't (or at least be less likely to) choke.

Amazing how this thread has gone from "Tesco Clubcard deals after TV offer" to "Holes in plastic bags" :)

Hehe, ah I'm all for the 50% back deals, just annoyed I didn't get in on it :(

But yeah, I've seen the same holes in other bags too:( Has a child ever actually died from plastic bag suffocation I wonder?

• Advertisement

It's just to save money. Imagine how much they can sell all those little plastic bits for.

Every little counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

just confused, what exactly is meant by "bin it" after buying a 1000E TV, sell it off? or return it back to Tesco? can you still keep points on returned items?

ibook wrote: »
    just confused, what exactly is meant by "bin it" after buying a 1000E TV, sell it off? or return it back to Tesco? can you still keep points on returned items?

Nope, if you could there'd be anarchy and I'd be top o the queue buying thousands worth of TV's :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

booked my ferry to france with my token today...wanted a tv and was getting a ferry anyways...has saved me loads of cash.these deals really are great when you were buying the things anyways.€500 has got me a good tv and a ferry to france for 4 with nice cabins..

Advertisement