Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Website with Easy Updates

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to create a club website which can be easily updated by 5 or 6 people.

I was looking at php fusion, through a google search, but I am not sure what my best option is.

I have my .com domain registered, I just need advice.

All solutions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I used www.expressionengine.com as the CMS for www.trimgaa.ie. Good CMS and their new version coming out shortly looks really cool. You can set up multiple users to manage content in different sections of the website.

HTH

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

Thanks for the reply.

So does this cost you 99 dollars a year plus hosting fees?

Can you have different layouts?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

CMS Made Simple is open source and free.
    While not as powerful as Expression Engine for editor access, it is easy to work with. You can however add additional editors to each page so an admin could own everything and assign the normal editors access as appropriate.

It's quite easy to import a template into the CMSMS system. There is a video somewhere on converting a OSWD template to CMSMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

I used wordpress to create www.ballygarvangaa.ie

Also a freebie

Hi Gary,

So do you just upload this onto any hosting server? Can I host with anyone?

Can numerous people update this? Is there a front end?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Hi,

Yes - hosting server needs php/mysql (most do).

yes - multiple users can be admin/editor/subscriber

front end?? - do you mean back end?? and if so yes

if you want me to set it up on your site for you I can do so in exchange for putting my link in somewhere :D

Sorry I meant backend.

So I guess there is an admin login screen as a link off your webpage for you to login in and add/edit the content?

I am little off getting it done yet, but I might take you up on your offer.

Ya down the bottom of my site you can see the administration.

brings you to a logint page

then a whole new admin back end site

I tried joomla and CMS Made simple and I stuck with wordpress, I guess it really depends on the person and what they're looking for!

looks good.

so i guess i can have users that can only edit certain pages.

also, is the layout your design or is there lots of templates to choose from?

Basically every link at the top is a different category, so you can add a post to one or a few different categories. then it will appear in that page when you go into it.

Loads of free templates out there: http://themes.wordpress.net/

I got mine there somewhere but it took a fair bit of tweaking to get it the way I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I did one recently using phpbb as the backend

http://www.blackwatertriathlonclub.com/

Though I did some direct phpbb database queries, forums may be enough to to get the kind of site you need.

Another vote here for CMS Made Simple. It's an excellent CMS suite.

There's an expansive list of CMSs' on www.opensourcecms.com - it's worth your time to go through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I'd recommend Joomla - http://www.joomla.org/
    It's also free open source software which you can host wherever your hosting account is - requires php and mysql.

Tonnes of templates available online to give you a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

chat2joe wrote: »
    I'd recommend Joomla - http://www.joomla.org/
    It's also free open source software which you can host wherever your hosting account is - requires php and mysql.

Tonnes of templates available online to give you a headstart.
    OP, depends on what your looking for really

Joomla! is the best if you have loads of time to learn the ropes, very powerful, but very steep learning curve.
    CMS Made Simple does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Wordpress, well meh, it's really for a blog, but it works well as a CMS, very simple to use and maintain.
    Expression engine, brilliant, but being a club, cash may be a bigger issue than other things

how simple do you want the website to be?
    what modules/features should it have?

~NevF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just a slight tangent to this topic, how secure are sites like this where you log in to change the content? What measures can be taken to make them as safe as possible? Fixed IP and strong passwords changed regularly?

Hi Nvef,

your right, i installed wordpress and it si very bloggy alright.

I am looking for a nice simple front pages with a few news items, taken from the top of a news page. A few fixtures taken from main fixtures page, and maybe some adds.

I want each section of club to have their own page that they can logon and update.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

m83 wrote: »
    Just a slight tangent to this topic, how secure are sites like this where you log in to change the content? What measures can be taken to make them as safe as possible? Fixed IP and strong passwords changed regularly?
    Well, I know this souns blunt, but the biggest culprate of security bugs is that people install random software and fail to update them regularly.

strong passwords are a good idea... having a simple password like "123456" is a bad idea but having a password like "YsPgUfy_78Jjh" is not necessary.

Fixed IP does very little to be honest, and is very unflexible.
    fugee wrote: »
    Hi Nvef,

your right, i installed wordpress and it si very bloggy alright.

I am looking for a nice simple front pages with a few news items, taken from the top of a news page. A few fixtures taken from main fixtures page, and maybe some adds.

I want each section of club to have their own page that they can logon and update.

Thanks

Well, if you're looking for something like that, I would suggest Joomla! 1.5. CMSms is good software but judging by what you're saying there, it might not be perfectly suited to the job...

Advertisement