Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland having issues currently?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone else is having problems with BT at the moment?

For some bizarre reason they seem to have stopped us accessing Google and all Google portals (gmail, maps, groups etc...) from our Home BB (3mb) and some other sites as well like Trip Advisor! Everything else is working fine tho (if a little slower) and most sites are accessible other than these select few who say "Server not found" or "The Connection was reset" when you try and hit them in any browser (IE or Firefox) .

I rang some other people I know who are also on ESAT and they are also having the same issue but when I rang people I know who use Eircom and other ISPs they arent having the issue.

Of course when I tried BTs wonderful support service yesterday evening an hour after this happened they said they were experiencing "long delays" hence I asked for a callback and am still waiting :(

Would really like to know if anyone else has this issue cos it definitely seems to be something I cant resolve from here (checked all the usuals like firewalls etc...and other machines in the house and they all having the same prob!)

Life without Google is very sad :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yep having the same problem in Lucan, its amazing how lost I am without google >_<

Still getting a fine connection from the though, downloading at 320kb/s at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Same prob here thismorning :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭unnamed

Yes, I'm having the same problem.

Anyone else?

Sar! wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone else is having problems with BT at the moment?

For some bizarre reason they seem to have stopped us accessing Google and all Google portals (gmail, maps, groups etc...) from our Home BB (3mb) and some other sites as well like Trip Advisor! Everything else is working fine tho (if a little slower) and most sites are accessible other than these select few who say "Server not found" or "The Connection was reset" when you try and hit them in any browser (IE or Firefox) .

I rang some other people I know who are also on ESAT and they are also having the same issue but when I rang people I know who use Eircom and other ISPs they arent having the issue.

Of course when I tried BTs wonderful support service yesterday evening an hour after this happened they said they were experiencing "long delays" hence I asked for a callback and am still waiting :(

Would really like to know if anyone else has this issue cos it definitely seems to be something I cant resolve from here (checked all the usuals like firewalls etc...and other machines in the house and they all having the same prob!)

Life without Google is very sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Had this problem last night also. Donaghmede. Ended up using yahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Thank goodness!! WHEW I thought it was just me! Im in Portmarnock btw so its obviously a problem with their service across the board and not just one area! Totally lost without Google :( its awful especially with no Gmail! On a more serious note how can an ISP do this - seems like one Google should know about (and Trip Advisor as thats not working for me either!) As you said everything else seems fine tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Trip advisor and google are working fine for me. I'm getting one of the 78.16 IP addresses, maybe whatever range you're all getting assigned is being filtered somewhere along the line? I know this happened, maybe still is happening, with eircom net's mail servers inadvertently blocking one of BT's IP blocks. Try disconnecting/reconnecting and see if an IP in a different range helps (assuming you're not all on statics that is!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sportaholic

Yes same here :( Started last night about 8pm was hoping it was just a temporary blip but not by the looks of it

Yeah looks like this isnt being resolved anytime soon as happened me at 5pm yesterday - has anyone managed to actually speak to BT support?

Tried to release my ip and tried disconnecting/reconnecting and that didnt solve it either so it could well be that Franks theory is right and something has inadvertently blocked a load of customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Had this problem last night. I restarted my router and it was fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its not just a BT issue. Must have been DNS issue as users in USA reported the same issue also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Trip advisor and google are working fine for me. I'm getting one of the 78.16 IP addresses, maybe whatever range you're all getting assigned is being filtered somewhere along the line? I know this happened, maybe still is happening, with eircom net's mail servers inadvertently blocking one of BT's IP blocks. Try disconnecting/reconnecting and see if an IP in a different range helps (assuming you're not all on statics that is!).

Yea I have 78.16 ip address as well and have no problems.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

gah! i spent hours last night scanning my laptop convinced i had a trojan or spyware messing with me... youtube wouldnt load, either would google, gmail or a few others... glad its not just me..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Its been pretty average here in Co. Wexford for the past 24 hours but since this morning its been atrocious. Google seems to be pretty much *ucked as are the majority of website I attempt to access via it on the odd occasion it is working :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 echimera

Its been pretty average here in Co. Wexford for the past 24 hours but since this morning its been atrocious. Google seems to be pretty much *ucked as are the majority of website I attempt to access via it on the odd occasion it is working :mad:

Had this same problem here in County Wexford, also on BT so I changed my primary and secondary dns to the openDNS servers, (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) this seemed to fix the problem as google & gmail are loading ok now.

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Apollord

Hey guys, yeh were all suffering the same thing, i was pinging google form esat.net and it wouldnt respond but when i pinged it through hua.net it worked, and when i went on www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com it said just me, so i wasnt sure. But apparently its a bt problem mixed with other various isps from around the world, the short term fix if anyone needs their gmail or just cant live without google is to just reset your router, it should work. And report a fault to bt, hopefully itll light a fire under their ...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Limerick here also!...major issues accessing many sites, Boards was down for ages...DNS issues or something. Sites could not be pinged or connected to. BT support have cut the tech support...won't accept calls...saying call us later.

They really are DIRE for technical support, you spend hours waiting to speak to someone, callbacks never come through!

The first thing I did was restart the router and I tried that again this morning and still having problems....very odd!

Agreed worst tech support EVER btw still no call back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Looks like normal service resumed for me :D Lucan area. I was having the same problems described in the thread. Lets hope it stays up!

Me too :) Thank goodness normality restored! Would love to know what caused it but heres hoping it never happens again!

Everything back working now but now I'm only getting 10kb/s :condfused: Anyone else still have problems?

• Advertisement

Actually yeah it happened again this afternoon for about two hours - what are they doing in BT!

When I sent them an email to ask about this problem last week all I got was them admitting their was a problem with Google and Youtube in particular but that it was now resolved and they apologised for the inconvenience etc...etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Comer1

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Everything back working now but now I'm only getting 10kb/s :condfused: Anyone else still have problems?

Have you gone over your download limit?

Comer1 wrote: »
    Have you gone over your download limit?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055265117

Not sure bout anyone else but dload limit definitely not the problem here as am well below the limit. BT seems up and down again tonight though for the past 40mins or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Hi,

I just want to see if I'm the only one. Since last Thursday, my broadband has been very sporadic over the entire weekend. It's driving me nuts.

I'm on BT 8 meg broadband (their own LLU exchange not anything to do with eircom) and their service so far has been exemplary.

However since last thursday night, I get disconnected every 30 mins or so, for up to 10-15mins before my router manages to re-connect. (It's a Vigor Draytek 2600, and it's in good nick).

I sometimes can speed the process up by forcing the router on and off, but I've now managed to get an abuse email from DYNDns.org because of all the fake updates to their servers. (Managed to get it back and now disabled the service until this steadys out)

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem. I have rang BT support on
    1) Friday, waiting 30mins then using call buster....never called back.
    2) Saturday, waiting 5mins then using call buster....never called back.
    3) Sunday, waiting 1hour 20mins, then using call buster...never called back.
    4) Monday, waiting 15mins, then call buster.....not expecting much.

I'm seriously p!ssed off.

But am I alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was down all day yesterday , from about 1pm. Still down when I went to bed around midnight.
    One thing I noticed though , I installed a dynamic dns update client on Saturday and between lunchtime and midnight , there was 43 different ip addresses assigned to me - This seems very high ?

Anyone know if this is a symptom of the problem or is normal for BT to have so many changes?
    Spoke to a friend, who is with eircom, and he says he has the same dynamic IP address for ages?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bullpost wrote: »
    One thing I noticed though , I installed a dynamic dns update client on Saturday and between lunchtime and midnight , there was 43 different ip addresses assigned to me - This seems very high ?
    You should only have one.

Ok well today ESAT certainly have a first for me: I can only access addresses with.ie in them and no .coms! Same with all my RSS feeds - any that arent from a .ie address are not loading. Anyone else seeing this problem at the moment? Has to be an ESAT issue....I really am contemplating getting rid of it - the whole month of April its been all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Same issue here. And I've just moved up to the 3gb package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I cant connect to google at all and sites are timing out.

Advertisement